Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:39 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
I had this idea though I am not sure if in reality it could work. What if all housing places like apartments did not charge people to stay. Landlords could still get paid maybe by taxes the government collects. I know people will say it is a bad idea because people should have to earn the right to live somewhere but I disagree. If we had free housing there would less homeless, and people with jobs could use the money they save and be able to pay their bills or have extra to spend shopping or eating out thus would put more money in the economy.

Why should we charge people to have a roof over there head? Should no one have to live on the streets if they do not want to? If you want a house I think then people should pay because having a house is more a privilege. Maybe some one could come up with something similar that would work better or maybe this is just a crazy idea.
I prefer a different approach, which if carried out will not merely approximate a solution to the problem you pose, but will be the optimal (as in perfect) solution to the problem. It is both a very old approach, but at the same time, endures to this day under certain theories of property rights.

I don't believe people should have to "earn the right to live somewhere." At least when I say "earn," I don't mean that in the traditional sense of one has to cough up money in the form of rent or a house payment unless they choose to opt for that arrangement because they might find it more beneficial than what I propose. But, it is does involve "earning" in a broader, and I think a more noble sense... and as a consequence, it gets every human being alive a place to call their own, to not be homeless.

I support treating the commons as a resource which is available to all human beings on Earth, and one of the most primary and important forms of use is for both shelter and food. The "price" to be paid is not to anyone else, but to oneself, through the labor it takes to see a resource, to have the creative vision to gaze upon it and say to oneself.... "yes, I think this will indeed do. Now let me envision all the wonderful things I can do with little place.... I shall be industrious, I shall come up with a good plan, and now this shall be my home from which nobody can displace me, and I shall never again be homeless." The price to be paid.... the cost... is not rent... is not a 20 year mortgage, but simply to expend ones mental and physical labor to take the proverbial piece of clay before you, and to mold it into your own vision. You start by building a home to your liking (or cooperate with those who can, if one is lacking in this skill), you work the land in whatever manner to feed oneself, and to provide for additional wants above and beyond needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 10:13 AM

36,507 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I don't feel that having free housing for everyone could really EVER work..But I DO feel that there should be free medical and dental care for everyone....and that our taxes could pay for that.
But its not free. you said our taxes could pay for it. So its only "free" for those that dont work and pay taxes.
The "its free" mentality is really striking a nerve with me. The money has to come from somewhere. I was listening to a woman talking about an arguement between her and her husband about her agreeing to "loan" another woman $10 in FS (they were drinking margaritas at the time). She ended up giving her 40$ worth. She kept saying, I dont know why he's so mad it free FS, the gov. gives it to us free, its not like we had to pay for it.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:49 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
2mares...you're right ,it's not really free when our taxes pay for it....but I'd have no problems knowing that my taxes were going for medical and dental care for everyone,....that's what i meant to say...

Old 06-07-2011, 06:16 AM

36,507 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
2mares...you're right ,it's not really free when our taxes pay for it....but I'd have no problems knowing that my taxes were going for medical and dental care for everyone,....that's what i meant to say...
Thats good because they are and it is about the same mentality that people would have if they all got free housing. The same person I spoke of has had 3 surgeries on her hand, she said she would have to have it every six months and was going to see about getting disability. She has never worked a day and has no intention to. All her medical is paid for plus the xanax and hydos she takes. I pay premiums for medical and with the deductable and 20% plus having to take off work I cant afford to have one surgery.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:03 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,149 times
Most of the people in New Orleans are already getting free housing. Are they any better off? Or do they expect a handout from the government for everything that comes along? Yes they do. Is it fair to the tax payers who are paying money that pays the rent for this free housing? I say no one is entitled to have a roof over their head if they are too damn lazy to work for it themselves. All of the welfare recipients in new Orleans should be kicked out into the street, they don't deserve a house to live in. They don't deserve free groceries, they don't deserve a life if they are too lazy to work.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Should people that are living on inherited wealth deserve what they get? They did not, and probably are not, working for it. Why is working a measure of worthiness for some but not others?

This is not a discussion of housing but of worthiness. Why are some worthy of unearned wealth and other not worthy of anything. What is the difference between these people and why should it be so?

Old 06-14-2011, 06:49 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Should people that are living on inherited wealth deserve what they get? They did not, and probably are not, working for it. Why is working a measure of worthiness for some but not others?

This is not a discussion of housing but of worthiness. Why are some worthy of unearned wealth and other not worthy of anything. What is the difference between these people and why should it be so?
Good morning,

The difference is the ones living on inherited wealth aren't living off the taxpayers. They are living off voluntary welfare from the people who earned it (their parents).

Huge difference.

If people are going to live off the taxpayers' dime, I would much prefer to give them all jobs than to just cut them a check.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:20 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
I had this idea though I am not sure if in reality it could work. What if all housing places like apartments did not charge people to stay. Landlords could still get paid maybe by taxes the government collects. I know people will say it is a bad idea because people should have to earn the right to live somewhere but I disagree. If we had free housing there would less homeless, and people with jobs could use the money they save and be able to pay their bills or have extra to spend shopping or eating out thus would put more money in the economy. It would help the poor because they would not have to worry about paying rent and have more money for food or childcare. Why should we charge people to have a roof over there head? Should no one have to live on the streets if they do not want to? If you want a house I think then people should pay because having a house is more a privilege. Maybe some one could come up with something similar that would work better or maybe this is just a crazy idea.
Very utopian, but of course in our capitalistic free-market society, this will never be anything more than a pipe dream. Could you imagine how high our taxes would be to support such a program?
As for the homeless problem, not all of them are merely down on their luck due to money woes...a good deal of them are homeless due to mental illness. Before Reagan got funding taken away from looney bins, these folks had a roof over their heads.

IMO, if anything should be free or supported by taxpayers, it's rubbers. There should even be subsidies on sterilization for both men and women. That would be cheaper than us having to pay so much of our property taxes for schools. Parents wouldn't have too many kids to support. But the powers that be wouldn't stand for that because those are more future taxpayers to support Social Security etc. So instead, parents get tax breaks for each child as an incentive to be fruitful and multiply.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
IMO, if anything should be free or supported by taxpayers, it's rubbers. There should even be subsidies on sterilization for both men and women. That would be cheaper than us having to pay so much of our property taxes for schools. Parents wouldn't have too many kids to support. But the powers that be wouldn't stand for that because those are more future taxpayers to support Social Security etc. So instead, parents get tax breaks for each child as an incentive to be fruitful and multiply.
D'oh! That wouldn't work after all - they'd probably just blow them up and hang them for decorations at their 8th kids' birthday parties.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
You don't need to live with strangers if you think logically and reasonably...

If people would get their heads screwed on straight about how much space they really NEED in a home, homes could be very affordable. Cheaper to buy/build. Cheaper to maintain. Cheaper to heat. Cheaper to cool. Cheaper taxes. Most people of the younger generation have never even SEEN a reasonably sized home. We're all led to believe that we "need" a giant McMansion money pit. The idea (at least for urban living) is called a "pocket neighborhood." And it's a good one.

If you don't want to be enslaved to money and a white elephant or a home, think small...

NOTE: I realize this is off topic, but "sharing space" or "living with others" is not something you have to do to live frugally.
Tell that to the developers who build all these McMansions. Consumers often buy what's available. Many of the cute reasonably sized homes aren't available because, due to increased lifespans, their elderly occupants aren't going anywhere. The ones that are for sale are in neighborhoods that have turned to crap over the decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates