Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:01 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times

Advertisements

Every now and then I catch myself slipping into what I call the "suffering martyr mode." My work load has piled-up and I feel overwhelmed and even sorry for myself...I do what needs to be done in a somewhat resentful mode. I don't have much joy inside of me or pride in my accomplishments...I become like a robot and just "do" and "do" in sort of a "lifeless state." Thank goodness I don't stay this way for too long...Something "kicks-in" and I realize that I am full of resentment and self-pity and not happy at all...I put my work aside for a little while and try to get back in balance. I don't want to be a "suffering martyr" and it's no fun to be around other people who are full of anger and resentment and self-pity when they work either! YUK! Talk about negativity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 10:24 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Every now and then I catch myself slipping into what I call the "suffering martyr mode." My work load has piled-up and I feel overwhelmed and even sorry for myself...I do what needs to be done in a somewhat resentful mode. I don't have much joy inside of me or pride in my accomplishments...I become like a robot and just "do" and "do" in sort of a "lifeless state." Thank goodness I don't stay this way for too long...Something "kicks-in" and I realize that I am full of resentment and self-pity and not happy at all...I put my work aside for a little while and try to get back in balance. I don't want to be a "suffering martyr" and it's no fun to be around other people who are full of anger and resentment and self-pity when they work either! YUK! Talk about negativity!
Years back when you put forth extra effort on the job you got rewarded for it and were appreciated. In today's toxic work environment it is expected.

I worked at a company that expected overtime from employees and if you wanted a promotion you knew enough not to take your full vacation. There were, I am sure, some really lovely people there but we never got a chance to know each other. Couple that with being 'on call' some nights, buying groceries, doctor's appointments, household chores, and you really had to squeeze in time for your own life. Corporations these days depersonalize and devalue the humans working for them. It's often as though the only purpose of our lives is as a cog in the company's machine.

The best way out is to just do the best you can and save a lot so you can retire and so when you do, it is to a good life. People are lucky to have a job, without thinking about whether they actually like it or not.

It was collusion between the financial industry and the government that got us into this mess and really upsetting when half the stimulus money that was supposed to create jobs for us all went to those very companies that created this problem.

I don't think people are good for working hard. I think everyone is just hanging in there the best they know how.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
How hard a person works for a paycheck is the worst possible way to judge their character.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:47 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanandneedtobeloved View Post
I've noticed a lot of people, especially Americans for some reason, will often praise a person's merits, and 'hard working' is one of the ones that comes up most often.

Which makes me wonder, because I do get philosophical about little things like this, is a person's value judged by how much they break their backs? Is a workaholic a nicer, better and more valuable person than someone who likes to take it easy?

Personally I think the concept of being a hard worker defining your worth as a human being is rooted in two things. One of them is Capitalist ideology. In capitalism, the person who produces more stuff, more wealth, is considered better than the person who takes it easy and only works hard enough to survive, and is considered infinitely more moral than the person who lives off the dole.

The other reason is that in the old days, being lazy often meant you were dishonest, and weren't doing your part. Nowadays, we have an excess of wealth, and people have a perfectly legit choice to be lazy and not produce. In fact I would argue those who work too much are foolish because most of their labor goes into enriching people who do not deserve it.
No...I think I equate hard work with personal sacrifice. Someone who is supremely industrious will have to give up more pleasurable aspects of his life (like time with loved ones, time spent pursuing leisure activities, etc)...that requires discipline and a certain amount of direction/goal oriented behavior.

People who are disciplined and goal oriented are also considered praiseworthy.

Also, if you work hard, it is implied that you are doing things the proper way, and not circumventing the legal system or cheating other people to obtain your goals. You're not afraid to give more of yourself if it allows you to cling to your honor.

So I think it's more the characteristics that go into what makes you hard-working that make people want to praise it.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:49 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
As a child I had to work on my step fathers amusement park. I soon learned to do only what was expected because doing more was never rewarded. That set me up for the real world of work. Do what the ask and no more but always appear busy.
This explains so much.
You and I have completely opposite perspectives on hard work. My philosophy: You don't excel or perform for others or what they might give you. You perform for yourself and your own commitment to excellence.

Which I think explains our complete difference in political philosophies.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:25 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times
When employees are "spread thin" and asked to do the job of several people they are going to be stressed-out and cranky unless they happen to be "superman" or "superwoman" with "superhuman" capabilities...And it's hard to turn the stress "off" when we get home from work. Maybe this is why some people drink or take anti-depressants or other drugs...They are looking for a way to "turn off" and relax and have a little peace for awhile during their "off hours." But it never lasts for long and "self-medicating" can lead to worse stress in the long run and "untold problems!"

Old 07-08-2011, 12:23 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,888 times
Quote:
I've noticed a lot of people, especially Americans for some reason, will often praise a person's merits, and 'hard working' is one of the ones that comes up most often.

Which makes me wonder, because I do get philosophical about little things like this, is a person's value judged by how much they break their backs? Is a workaholic a nicer, better and more valuable person than someone who likes to take it easy?

Personally I think the concept of being a hard worker defining your worth as a human being is rooted in two things. One of them is Capitalist ideology. In capitalism, the person who produces more stuff, more wealth, is considered better than the person who takes it easy and only works hard enough to survive, and is considered infinitely more moral than the person who lives off the dole.

The other reason is that in the old days, being lazy often meant you were dishonest, and weren't doing your part. Nowadays, we have an excess of wealth, and people have a perfectly legit choice to be lazy and not produce. In fact I would argue those who work too much are foolish because most of their labor goes into enriching people who do not deserve it.
I agree with you. I believe in America, we typically as a culture value a strong work ethic and equate it with positive qualitites.

Industrious, clever, diligent, conscientious, dependable, innovative, leader, problem-solver, self-motivated -

These words are generally associated with someone who has a strong work ethic and in our culture primarily have positive connotations(sp?).

I also absolutely get your point about capitalism, one of it's major drawbacks is we use monetary value as a measure of worth. Not all worthwhile things, nor worthwhile people can be adequately measured by monetary value.

I also agree that while many people with a strong work ethic are excellent people of high moral character, this trait does not necessarily guarantee these qualities.

A person with a strong work ethic may be motivated by greed, fear, lust, anger, retribution, power - not necessarily words which give us the same warm fuzzies as the previous list.

Interesting question, thanks for posing and reading my musings.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:48 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I do what needs doing. Everytime I tried to do more I was chastzed by management. I can and have learned from experience.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:07 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Only in America are people considered more virtuous because they work harder. Of course money is highly valued and the wealthy are revered. But even those who work harder at a not so lucrative job. Is someone who works 80 hours a week averaging $5 an hour any more virtuous than someone who works 20 hours a week earning $20 an hour?

Old 07-09-2011, 11:27 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Hard working is part of an individual's overall make up as a person so it is a factor

Not necessarily. There are very nice lazy people.
Someone may be better as an entreprenour but not as a human being and the other way around.

I have mixed views on the last comment. The attitude you showed could be used to say many people that have it depend more on the government. Why work hard? Others can provide for me by Uncle Sam taking away from them and give it to me.
Example: If decide to work hard to buy a house, later I want to buy another house to rent it. Maybe later save money to open a busines. Now, I make enough money for you or others say "You make too much money so we are going to tax you more so others can have a better life". Then I look around and see that many of those around me that end up with my money make the comment like you "Nowadays, we have an excess of wealth, and people have a perfectly legit choice to be lazy and not produce." NO! you do not have excess wealth. Excess wealth is in the hands of many that worked hard for it. Others simply get it by theft from the government. If later in life I accumulated excess wealth and decide I can be lazy the rest of my life, I EARNED IT. I do not see anything wrong with that. I do not care hard people work. All types of people worth is valued as human beings as far as I am concerned and working hard can be a factor, not the only one though, take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates