Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:02 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times

Advertisements

Every week there is news of pit bulls attacking people & killing people on occasion. Are you afraid of pit bulls when you see one? Have you ever seen a pit bull on the loose? Sometimes the police have to shoot pit bulls to stop their attack.

Several years ago a woman was attacked by a mountain lion in Orange county. She was riding her bike with a friend on a trail in the foothills. A large mountain lion jumped on the woman & bit down on her neck. Her friend screamed for help but even a few men could not get the lion to let go of the woman [even threw large rocks at the cat]. The mountain lion fled & dragged the woman away. The police found the woman's body & discovered that the lion eat part of her.

That would be a terrifying encounter with a wild animal.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:10 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Am I afraid of animals?

Depends entirely on the animal.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:11 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Sometimes depends on the owner...

Old 03-15-2010, 08:15 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Every week there is news of pit bulls attacking people & killing people on occasion. Are you afraid of pit bulls when you see one? Have you ever seen a pit bull on the loose? Sometimes the police have to shoot pit bulls to stop their attack.

Several years ago a woman was attacked by a mountain lion in Orange county. She was riding her bike with a friend on a trail in the foothills. A large mountain lion jumped on the woman & bit down on her neck. Her friend screamed for help but even a few men could not get the lion to let go of the woman [even threw large rocks at the cat]. The mountain lion fled & dragged the woman away. The police found the woman's body & discovered that the lion eat part of her.

That would be a terrifying encounter with a wild animal.
No, I'm not afraid of animals. Some deserve a large measure of respect, but outright fear, no.

Maybe it's just my perception, but people seem to have the fear, but not the respect. ie: seeing a mountain lion in the wild is terrifying, but they never think to go out in larger groups and keep an eye on their surroundings, etc. (and no, I'm not speculating on any of the deaths, it's just a generalization.)

As for the pitbull thing, I've known several who all were pleasant dogs, if a little rambunctious. They just seem to be the in vogue thing for people who want a "tough" dog.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:23 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
I give pit bulls & other aggressive-looking dogs space, even when they're walked on a leash. Lots of owners just don't know how to control their pets, or are too lazy to train their animals.

As far as wild animals, well they're wild & unpredictable! I'm sure everyone has heard of the pack of wolves that killed & ate a young woman up in Canada. And let's not forget about the tiger at the SF Zoo who jumped out of her cage & killed that teen. Or Shamu in Sea World! I think ppl in today's society forget how dangerous & predatory these beasts can be. You hear about stupid suburbanites feeding bears in their backyards all the time. It's no wonder that animals attack. I'd be pissed about lean cuisine leftovers too!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:56 PM

416 posts, read 630,652 times
A little, because they can be unpredictable, even the supposed domesticated animals.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:11 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsunegames View Post
A little, because they can be unpredictable, even the supposed domesticated animals.
Even humans... NOTHING is predictable.

Anyways... I'm not afraid of any creature but I respect many.

I'm not gonna go up to a bull and pet it. Not afraid of it, I just know what it can do if I go up to it.

Not afraid of insects like wasps and bees. I won't go tampering with them, but if I see one who cares.

Same with spiders, snakes, bla bla.

Most animal attacks can be avoided.

Like people that run from dogs... that's just inviting them to chase you.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:50 PM

7 posts, read 10,801 times
Any animal can be dangerous when trained to be that way or it feels threatened. Evn my 5.5lb. toy poodle can be very ferocious when someone comes near her when she has a bone. Otherwise, she is the sweetest animal and would go home with anyone!

Old 03-15-2010, 10:49 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Every once and a while you hear of someone being killed & eaten by an alligator in Florida. That would be a horrible way to die! I watched a great tv show about a guy in Alaska who lived among the grizzles bears. He documented & filmed encounters he had with bears. Sadly he was eventually attacked and eaten along with his female companion. Another guy in Alaska also lived among the bears but he had a house to protect him at night. Talk about living on the edge!

Old 03-16-2010, 05:54 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Im afraid of lions and sharks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates