Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:30 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times

Advertisements

OP: It's IRRELEVANT what people 10,000 miles away think. For the sake of discussion, they're mostly JEALOUS and scornful because it's a 1 way attraction: it's Europe, sucking up the American juggernaut. We might have problems but we are still #1 where it matters most-- culture, higher education, and military strength. How dare anybody bump them off? For centuries they were the it culture but now they're 2nd or maybe 3rd behind asia, and that is a bitter pill to swallow. It has taken 27 of their nations to topple the US Dollar--I'll at least give them that. They really can't do much else except hate or criticize our largesse, watch our tv shows, our movies, listen to our music, use our computers, iphones, ipads, and otherwise watch in amazement.

Last edited by Jay100; 12-15-2012 at 11:46 PM..

Old 12-16-2012, 12:49 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
OP: It's IRRELEVANT what people 10,000 miles away think. For the sake of discussion, they're mostly JEALOUS and scornful because it's a 1 way attraction: it's Europe, sucking up the American juggernaut. We might have problems but we are still #1 where it matters most-- culture, higher education, and military strength. How dare anybody bump them off? For centuries they were the it culture but now they're 2nd or maybe 3rd behind asia, and that is a bitter pill to swallow. It has taken 27 of their nations to topple the US Dollar--I'll at least give them that. They really can't do much else except hate or criticize our largesse, watch our tv shows, our movies, listen to our music, use our computers, iphones, ipads, and otherwise watch in amazement.
Yeah, we must be doing something right:

2009 murders in USA - 15,399

2009 murders in UK - 651

Aside from the obvious population diff between the two countries, would you mind explaining why the USA is the most violent of all "first world" countries?

Great country isn't it.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:49 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Default A machette or an Uzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Hey genius, tell me how many people were killed in Rwanda, during 4 months in 1994, with virtually no guns.

Care to venture a guess?

Nearly 1 million people.

Now... Please tell me, again, how guns are the problem in this country, and how guns led to the killing of 20 children in Connecticut, and how there would be less (or no) killings if there were no guns. I'll try not to laugh at you while you do your best to spin it.
I'm a defender of the constitution with regard to the right to bear arms--but I do think pistols and rifles with 30 round magazines might be a bit much. But, George, if someone comes in the door of a public place with mass murder on his mind, personally, I'll take my chances with the machette. You can stand in front of the Uzi!

The reality is, however, there are just too many damn guns in the U.S. to do anything about them anyway. A bunch of dimwits think O'bama is going to try to take away their guns. Even if that was his goal, there are more guns in the country than there are people. It ain't gonna happen. What's the government going to do? Roll a tank down the street and blare over a loudspeaker for people to bring out their guns or their houses will be blasted open? Good grief.

We cannot control ownership of guns, but what concerns me is the increasing notion among gun lovers that we need to return to the days of the Old West, when people rode into town carrying their weapons. There was extreme violence then until they did what?----Said you had to hang the guns in the Sheriff's office until you were ready to leave town. I really don't want to go back to those days of everyone openly carrying weapons.

Then again, maybe if we were a little more aggressive with our punishment of crimes involving guns, it would have more impact on the criminal element. I remember reading of an incident that occurred in Great Britain back in the fifties when a bobby had cornered two boys on a rooftop after they had stolen some goods from a store. The officer said, "Give me the weapon", and the oldest boy said to the youngest, "Let him have it." The younger boy shot and killed the officer. At the trial, the older boy said he was telling the younger one to give the officer the weapon. The younger one said he thought he was being instructed to shoot. As I recall, he was too young to hang, but the older boy was hung. At least back then, England had no sympathy for anyone brandishing a handgun.

Maybe we need to do the same today.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 12-16-2012 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 12-16-2012, 04:00 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,336 times
I know as of late Europe has looked down on us with just cause..
Actually the world after the media ( social media the net) has brought attention the mass killings that have occurred here as of late.. They are wondering what the fucck is wrong with us being that we have no valid excuse? We are not at war, we live in a what should be a peaceful nation yet we have this going on? I am wondering the same thing?

Old 12-16-2012, 04:21 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
The story you told about the two young men in the 50s is true. It was made into a film called'Let Him Have It.' The elder of the two, who even though he was in police custody, was hung for shouting to the younger offender "let him have it." The actual police killer served ten years in prison, then quietly released in 1963.

The British police take a dim view of criminals with guns. There is zero toleration for this type of offender.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:06 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
people should be made to live in eachother's country for a year at least before they can judge..

Old 12-16-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Yeah, we must be doing something right:

2009 murders in USA - 15,399

2009 murders in UK - 651

Aside from the obvious population diff between the two countries, would you mind explaining why the USA is the most violent of all "first world" countries?

Great country isn't it.
Would you mind explaining why some Brits are still sore and the UK has been useless since the USA kicked their ass in the American Revolution?

US Population 309 million
uk population 62 million

UK 3 countries
USA 1 country

You should learn to read and write. Your education is obviously inferior and you know it. I've already acknowledged that the US has problems but, we are #1 where it matters. Deal with it. I won't apologize. It's not our fault that you aren't up to speed.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:01 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times
Quote:
Would you mind explaining why some Brits are still sore and the UK has been useless since the USA kicked their ass in the American Revolution?

uk population 62 million

UK 3 countries
USA 1 country

You should learn to read and write. Your education is obviously inferior and you know it. I've already acknowledged that the US has problems but, we are #1 where it matters. Deal with it. I won't apologize. It's not our fault that you aren't up to speed.
I think there's a certain amount of bitterness in the UK, regarding what they are now compared to what they used to be. They used to be a world power - perhaps THE world power. Now they're just irrelevant.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
I think there's a certain amount of bitterness in the UK, regarding what they are now compared to what they used to be. They used to be a world power - perhaps THE world power. Now they're just irrelevant.
Oh no that was centuries ago. None of us had been born then. Their military is probably around 5th in the world now behind India. Far as higher ed, they're a distant 2nd. Their GDP is 7th, behind Brazil. I don't think they're atrocious as a country but, their fall from the top has been hard.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:

uk population 62 million

UK 3 countries
USA 1 country

I guess being one of our most important allies against the Nazis doesn't count for much. You should read some history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates