Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 07:57 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I guess being one of our most important allies against the Nazis doesn't count for much. You should read some history.
That's really kind of a stupid argument. It's like Americans telling the Brits, "If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German!"

The FACT is, it wasn't quite that simplistic. We may not have even entered the European Theatre of the war, were it not for the British.

Maybe YOU should read some history.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:27 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
We may not have even entered the European Theatre of the war, were it not for the British.
I think that should more correctly read "We may not have even entered the European Theatre of the war, were it not for the Japanese.

More than a year before Pearl Harbor, Germany, Japan and Italy signed the Tripartite Pact wherein they agreed to cooperate with one another over the next 10 years. Their prime purpose: "to establish and maintain a new order of things... to promote the mutual prosperity and welfare of the peoples concerned."

In other words, the U.S. didn't enter World War II until it was attacked by an ally of Germany.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:34 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I think that should more correctly read "We may not have even entered the European Theatre of the war, were it not for the Japanese.

More than a year before Pearl Harbor, Germany, Japan and Italy signed the Tripartite Pact wherein they agreed to cooperate with one another over the next 10 years. Their prime purpose: "to establish and maintain a new order of things... to promote the mutual prosperity and welfare of the peoples concerned."
Good point - though I think the Tripartite Pact had a LOT more to do with the USSR than the USA. They were the ones threatened from all sides. Also, I seriously doubt that either Germany or Italy (or any of the lesser nations that signed on) would have assisted Japan in any way, in the Pacific Theatre.

Interesting to speculate, though.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:30 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
You clearly don't know as much about America as you think you do.
Or, maybe she knows as much, if not more about our country, just as many folks from Canada, UK, and Europe do.

I'm a life long citizen of the US, and I agree with everything she says.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:08 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
Quote:
I'm looking at all the bloody rioting in Europe - over the financial crises they have created for themselves - and thinking about how PATHETIC they are. One of those schmucks is probably going to start another world war sometime soon. I'm glad my ancestors got the heck out of that pig sty.
HAHAHAHA

IF Europe was a "pigsty"...then the US can be easily qualified as a 3rd world country! have you seen your down towns yet? or better known as crack towns? how filthy they are? and ran down and look like crap? abandoned buildings in PRIME real estate...!
Yves Marchand & Romain Meffre Photography - The Ruins of Detroit
You destroyed originality? have you seen what a subway station looks like in Sweden?
https://www.google.com/search?q=subw...w=1437&bih=805

Europe tests chemicals before feeding them to people, Americans feed them to people and then issue "recalls"! that is HILARIOUSLY DUMB! I hate to tell you.....

Your ancestors were only looking to live where a higher level of civilization won't be implemented!

Here is the New York Subway:
https://www.google.com/search?q=subw...w=1437&bih=805

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...-train-killed/

Last edited by algia; 12-17-2012 at 01:23 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 01:43 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
Also explain to me why a Gov worker sitting at some desk needs to make 6 figures? why does congress? they do NOTHING but argue and pass no laws that make sense for the people! half of that 6 figures could have been used (since it IS taxpayers money) to BEAUTIFY downtown's! restore older buildings with beautiful architecture, and keep crime OUT. The US has NO IDEA how to manage it own country, but has the nerve to meddle in other countries? give me a break! It should be renamed to: "United States of Hypocrisy"! No wonder some states wan out of the "United Bull*t!

https://www.google.com/search?q=pari...w=1437&bih=805

This Paris?

Paris Pictures

Before you dig a deeper hole, Do yourself a favor and walk in any US downtown after 5pm, because aside from homeless people all over, and criminals at every corner, there is NOTHING to do unless you're in NYC. The rest of down towns are dead after working hours! THAT is pathetic! I think It is time for you to exit the pastures, and visit some real cities in the US and them come back with an educated opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do Europeans hate us?-image6a.jpg   Why do Europeans hate us?-paris_-france.jpg  

Old 12-17-2012, 03:48 PM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
What strikes me about some Europeans I've met is a smug attitude about favoring security over freedom. They explain their access to things like education and housing but then the controls and individual choice they sacrifice to gain that access is just something that I would find unacceptable, personally. It doesn't phase them and they seem proud of it. I've been told freedom is - selfish. That is offensive to me.

I tend to keep a distance from some European inlaws, because they just don't share the same values and push theirs on me. I don't tell them how to think or live so they could afford the same respect. They can be polite and fun to be with, spend money on luxuries, but they don't have any savings. They don't seem to understand my ambitions or why I'd rather struggle and take risks to make my own path than just go with the flow and take the easy route. I would be very depressed living like that, and I'd rather fail and try again than to just give up and give in.

It's a totally different mindset but why not just live and let live.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:45 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Yeah, you're right. What WAS I thinking?!?!?! I'm thoroughly embarrassed to call THIS home...

I'd give ANYTHING to live in an AWESOME place like Paris!

I wouldn't be embarassed to call a city in the midwest home, but they can't hold a candle to any city in Europe for amenities, public transport, architecture, etc.

Do you walk around in a "USA is the GREATEST" tshirt? You sure sound like it.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:50 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What strikes me about some Europeans I've met is a smug attitude about favoring security over freedom. They explain their access to things like education and housing but then the controls and individual choice they sacrifice to gain that access is just something that I would find unacceptable, personally. It doesn't phase them and they seem proud of it. I've been told freedom is - selfish. That is offensive to me.

I tend to keep a distance from some European inlaws, because they just don't share the same values and push theirs on me. I don't tell them how to think or live so they could afford the same respect. They can be polite and fun to be with, spend money on luxuries, but they don't have any savings. They don't seem to understand my ambitions or why I'd rather struggle and take risks to make my own path than just go with the flow and take the easy route. I would be very depressed living like that, and I'd rather fail and try again than to just give up and give in.

It's a totally different mindset but why not just live and let live.
Why don't you revisit this same thought after there are multiple movie theatre shootings, school shootings, mall shootings, etc with multiple dead Americans riddled with bullets. Do Europeans fear these type of things happening? I very much doubt it. But here in the US it is just getting started and will only escalate with all you "freedom" loving, gun toting armed citenzry roaming around. This recent shooting won't certainly be the last that is for sure.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 PM

768 posts, read 879,766 times
Liberal europeans hate you because you are percieved at least to be bible thumping conservatives. Conservative europeans hate you because they think american culture is gaudy, tacky, glitzy, brash, crude, mass produced, and not genteel and sophistomaticated like what we are.

Basically we just hate you.

And then there is american television. Which, admittedly nowadays is no worse than British television. (although i think thats rather british TV has got worse, than american better) But in the 80s and 90s (apart from maybe dallas,miami vice, the a team) it was nauseatingly bad.

Then theres your presidents. Ford, Reagan and Clinton, generally considered to be idiots, albeit idiots with charm in Clinton and Reagans case. Bush an idiot with no charm.

Personally i hate you because you invented MTV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates