Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 03:20 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times

Advertisements

I know what you're saying, I was born and raised near Ypres...been surrounded by military cemeteries for the first 23 years of my life, did the mandatory schooltrips to see the old canons and trenches etc...And that's why I am so against war now. We all have people who died in wars, no matter what country you're from...it's senseless IMO and history repeating itself will never end as long as people fight over land and oil and go fight other people's wars..If people considered themselves as a member of the human race first and a citizen of some country second, maybe then there would be hope. We're all members of the living things on this planet earth. Not all this crap about MY country is better than yours and MY land ...it should be our land!

Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
We all have people who died in wars, no matter what country you're from...it's senseless IMO and history repeating itself will never end as long as people fight over land and oil and go fight other people's wars.
I wish it were that simple but it's not. I don't think you account for human nature. The day families stopped fighting amongst themselves about money and material possessions is the day perhaps nations could stop fighting about that too. Certain human survival instincts such as the emotion of fear would also need to be eliminated from the human psyche. Usually fear is one reason nations go to war.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,075 times
Probably has something to do with our GDP per capita combined with the carefree lifestyle.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:32 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia10 View Post
Yeah, but that is in a museum not a street, and not everyone appreciates museums here unfortunately. I would have done this in NYC and see what happened! in the real world.
What an elitist load of rubbish. I hate to break it to you but this IS the real world right here, pal. Here, museums are part of our real world. We actually go to them regularly. Maybe if you quit looking down your nose at everybody you wouldn't have such a distorted view of everything and everyone.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:36 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
why ask the question and when you get Europeans' answers, you say they're wrong...Europeans are more the "tell it like it is" type..of course, there are exceptions but most European people think Americans are fake, fake emotions, everything based on money and how much you have, Hollywood has a lot to do with that too but that's how most people get to know the US:from movies...
That "work hard and you can make the American dream come true" got out of hand because now it seems like the American dream measures success by what you have, not who you are and what type person you are.
When I returned to Europe after spending years in the US, most people were not impressed that I went there of all places...they are not happy about how the US conducts business here either..build a factory and create jobs and when you feel like it, after people put in 20 years or so..you pull out and go elsewhere, leaving people stranded...by that time they're 50 years old or so and where will they get work then? Don't tell me that'll make the Americans more popular over here...And yeah, business is business but playing that game and then wondering why the rest of the world looks at you weird is a bit silly...
I know not all Americans are like that but most Europeans didn't spend years living there and really getting to know the people and the way of life.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:51 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,585,087 times
I grew and lived for 38 years in the USSR/Ukraine. I live in the USA since 1993 and we did well as ex immigrants. Good education, solid jobs.
I shall never use word "hate". I might as well start a question "Why Russians hate Ukrainians" just to say - they don't, though it sure may look like it.
MOST COMMON PEOPLE OF THE WORLD GET ALONG JUST FINE. It is like this everywhere. Then of course, you have extremes of all kinds, amplified by mass media, as mass media does not put "American and European family on a nice friendly picnic at X place" into breaking news section.
I think, every nation has its pros and cons. That's why they are nations to start with. I'd like to quote my grandfather though. He said back in late 60s: "America should create a country, a system, that the rest of the world would look at and say - WE want to live like that". Did America do it? I'll let that question open.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:54 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyooooo View Post
They just laugh at us because of our government, and our general blase attitude toward politics.

Cant blame them.
I agree, especially after the events of yesterday.

I think the rest of the world finds it laughable that our leaders continue the "best country in the world" rhetoric, meanwhile our economy is shipped overseas, another mass murder has occurred and our gun laws haven't changed, and we continue to send our military to any problem area in the middle east and end up in a multiple years war over it, as our own country continues to collapse. It is laughable. And sad.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:17 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,660 times
There are some things that need to be cleared up:

- Gun laws vary in states, and the legalization of guns do not always equal higher crime rates, actually the opposite is true.

- Once guns come in, they become real hard to take out.

- If you are not familiar of guns or the gun culture of the US, then you have not right to speak about gun control.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
could u please point out which ones of the accusations made about us are false?
i will try to give a good answer.
thanks.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:31 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
There won't be change, trust me on that. Americans are generally a paranoid lot, and they live in fear that their govt, the Fed Govt, is out to take away their "freedom". So, we have this gun culture rampant throughout the US, such that a kindergarten teacher had these guns in her home in a supposedly really safe town. Then why did she have these guns if the town was so safe? Ahh, they will tell you the reason Americans have guns is so that they can overthrow the US govt when it takes away their freedom.

It really is one of the most fu... up countries, with some of the craziest people around. What first world sucessful country in the world is made up of people that are so mistrustful and fearful of their own constitutional, democratically elected republican form of govt that they are armed to the teeth to take it down some day?

This country really needs help when 20 children are murdered in school, and America's gun lovers come out of the woodwork to proclaim that we need more guns, not less.

The country is headed for failure, and a huge break up I hope. I don't want to live in the same country as these gun nuts anymore.

I'll bet you if a couple crazed gunman got into a school, locked it down, and murdered hundreds of children, not a thing would change in this country. Not a thing.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-29-2012 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: Edited for copyright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates