Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:36 AM

452 posts, read 898,543 times

Advertisements

I am frustrated to no end with several situations for how people think today:

Why is the government rewarding people who do not work? There are generations of families that rely on the government to pay them for not working? Why are people not being drug tested and if they fail then they do not get any help? Our government is now wanting to tax the well to do to help offset the government subsidies that some families have made it a way of life.........

We have children starving in this great USA, however, we have convicts getting 3 meals a day (sometimes even ones catered to their religious rights?-I thought when you are convicted you gave up your right to free will), TV privileges, a comfortable place to sleep, education, bidding against hard working US citizens out of jobs for government contracts?

Are we as a society programming out our future to show if you do something wrong or do not work that you will get rewarded but when you work hard and do the right thing you get penalized? Any thoughts.......

PS. I am not well to do. I am trying to teach children to do the right things and wondering if I am no longer teaching them right because society and the government (that we the people elected) is starting a curve on what is right and wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 04:33 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3a's View Post
I am frustrated to no end with several situations for how people think today: Why is the government rewarding people who do not work? There are generations of families that rely on the government to pay them for not working?
Only 19% of all welfare recipients receive benefits for five years or longer and an even smaller proportion receive benefits on a constant basis, instead the fact is that these individuals leave and return to the program based upon health and economic conditions. I won't belabor the point fact that their are work and training components that are required of welfare recipients.

Quote:
Why are people not being drug tested and if they fail then they do not get any help?
Because recent wrongheaded attempts to do just that found that only a miniscule number of recipients test positive for drugs and the cost of testing far outweighed any savings. By the way, since drug treatment is for the most part totally unavailable to the poor would you be willing to pay for adequate drug treatment programs which are far cheaper than incarceration? Why do I doubt it?

Quote:
We have children starving in this great USA, however, we have convicts getting 3 meals a day (sometimes even ones catered to their religious rights?-I thought when you are convicted you gave up your right to free will), TV privileges, a comfortable place to sleep, education, bidding against hard working US citizens out of jobs for government contracts?
As usual with such rants you have a missmash of conflicting gripes and disjointed complaints.

Is it your suggestion that prisons don't have a custodial responsibility to feed inmates? Being incarcerated deprives one of certain rights, but not the right of being treated like a human being.

TV privileges, "comfortable" places to sleep and other activities are the items that prison guards and officials cite as those things which make their jobs safer. You cannot deprive prisoners of any and all activities and expect any degree of a controllable population.

No education, you do realize that these people do return to the streets and since you don't want people to be rewarded for not working, I would suggest that providing the most basic skills so that they

Quote:
Are we as a society programming out our future to show if you do something wrong or do not work that you will get rewarded but when you work hard and do the right thing you get penalized? Any thoughts.......
I'm simply at a loss to understand this argument when unemployment is as high as it is. It as if the argument is that unemployment is high because people don't want jobs. How strange.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:53 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
To the OP... do not take post #2 seriously. Your instincts are on target.

Our problem is beyond the government. We are the government in this country. We put these people in office. We don't check up on our representatives and Senators. We have allowed them to pretty much do what they want - and they have grown into a monster. The government only reflects who we are. We want goodies - we will elect people that give us goodies. Most Americans live their lives in debt - government is out of control in debt. The American people are divided - what did we just vote for? Divided government.

The American people are the engine of this country. All of us. When people don't work and produce, the engine slows down. The problem is government has taken over the driving and they have their foot on the pedal while the engine is sputtering.

Is government changing rights and wrongs? I think so - but we are allowing them to do it - because we vote them in and we have so problems ourselves, we aren't equipped/educated in many cases to counter their message. And people are so needy, they really don't care.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:05 PM

488 posts, read 412,830 times
The whole point to nanny-state entitlement societies is that there is a largish segment of the populace that requests the government become like the Catholic church as it was administered thru the Vatican.

Feudalism as a way of life considered to be beneficial is merely popular again, that's all.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:38 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
What is government? Is it imposed by aliens upon unwilling populace? Societies create & maintain governments at great expense so governments could impose rules and changes according to whims & hunches of some portion of society. Society changing society, right or wrong? how about this topic?

This right wing vilifying of government (the only semi-democratic institution you may have a say in) went too far. Owning class needs government and at the same time it's afraid of this inherent democratic component of governments they cannot 100% control. Solution? Vilify government so that the plebeians would consider governments as something foreign and cast their hopes for better life with... yup, private tyrannies owned by minority, tyrannies they have no control over. This way owning class (minority) makes sure that plebeians a.k.a. society a.k.a. majority would never impose their will upon owning class. This way minority would always rule over the majority who is afraid of the only power tool they have. Minority ruling majority, right or wrong? Ingenious scheme.

If you consider "government" as something foreign and to be afraid of and at the same time your think that your are the "freest" buck in the forest, what world you live in, really?

Old 11-26-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEternalSanctuaryMan View Post
The whole point to nanny-state entitlement societies is that there is a largish segment of the populace that requests the government become like the Catholic church as it was administered thru the Vatican.

Feudalism as a way of life considered to be beneficial is merely popular again, that's all.
If me and my neighbors come together to create "government" that would take care of the things of our choice, is it nanny state? Shall we do everything by ourselves in order to preserve our rugged ideological purity? Is your dream environment - an off grid survivalist compound with 5 tonnes of ammunition and 10 years of food food supply? Even then both off grid, 5 tonnes of ammunition and 10 years food supply require a nanny state.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:26 AM

I am not ranting I am providing facts that are brought to my attention maybe bias but they are being reported:

Factory owners: Federal prisoners stealing our business - Aug. 14, 2012

As for the information on the welfare I have family that work for the government and in one situation we are providing welfare benefits for a child born here but the father and mother are not but since the father has been convicted and incarcerated of treason for money laundering overseas aide the war.

When my children do something wrong they get TV privileges taken away, etc., however, one day we were watching news and my children wondered why prisoners do not.......... Education is important but why have a taxpayer pay for it and make it comfortable for someone whom did a wrong feel comfortable and take away jobs from law abiding citizens that did no wrong.

As for the welfare if you are on welfare for longer than 6 months that is too long, welfare was developed to help citizens get back on their feet not to maintain a lifestyle for approx 5 yrs.

Over 100 million US residents on welfare — RT

Old 11-27-2012, 10:29 AM

3a reminds me a fire-breathing law maker who was appalled by the fact that prisoners get cookies and candies. In the fit of righteousness he decided to run on "no candies for convicts, get tough on the criminals" platform, apparently somebody explained to him that HCFS sweets are the cheapest way to feed prisoners. Same with TVs etc. especially considering that private prisons biz is booming and private biz wouldn't spend an extra penny on convicts.

Federal prisoners make stuff for the federal government, seems fair. I understand that private entrepreneurs who are accustomed to ripping off big bad government are upset. I'm not though.

Economics 101, economic cycle (before outsourcing), as capitalists concentrate wealth, production capacity, ownership they undermine wages of their wage slaves to the point where peons cannot sustain demand. Economic bust follows, peons are thrown on the streets to starve. That's your old good USA in 19th and early 20th centuries. Economics cycle got even uglier considering that global American capitalists (who owns bulk of the national resources, land, production capacity) no longer need local wage slaves to sustain production. So, if it's not big bad government picking up a slack and feeding those people, then what is your compassionate conservative alternative? Return to the glorious past where dead bodies littered streets following economic busts? Big good capitalists (who, again, own everything that you need to survive) do NOT give crap about you and those alleged 107 millions on welfare. They wrote them off, they don't need them, unless those people would be "willing" to work for Chinese wages or less. It's called wage slavery for a reason.

Besides, bulk of the federal welfare goes to the top 1% and top 10%. Government runs military, FBI, CIA, police, foreign affairs, courts, regulators, propaganda & mind control on their behalf + trillions in bail outs, obscene military spending and overcharges, private federal reserve creating public money out of thin air, and so on. Did your beloved congressmen (who get enormous government hand outs themselves) beatched about that? Or it's mantra poor who eat everybody' cake again to keep folks like you well under control?

Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3a's View Post
I am frustrated to no end with several situations for how people think today:

Why is the government rewarding people who do not work? There are generations of families that rely on the government to pay them for not working? Why are people not being drug tested and if they fail then they do not get any help? Our government is now wanting to tax the well to do to help offset the government subsidies that some families have made it a way of life.........

PS. I am not well to do. I am trying to teach children to do the right things and wondering if I am no longer teaching them right because society and the government (that we the people elected) is starting a curve on what is right and wrong?
Please do keep teaching the children of society the value of hard work. Hard work is to be valued. It's hard to keep that view when so many in society seem to be taught otherwise. Where I work, it's tough to keep my nose to the grindstone and do two or three peoples' jobs when people have one bad day and call in and quit. It's also tough when I see people not doing their share. But I couldn't function any other way. I can't be like them. It's not in me whatsoever. I work. I make my own money. I accept no handouts. I expect no handouts. I accept help only on the condition that I can give in return.

With that said, not everybody on welfare abuses it. Some people need it for a time and move on. The ones that don't give all welfare recipients a bad reputation. Not everybody on welfare is on drugs (I heard some states are getting assertive with drug testing. What I wonder is, why did it take so long???

I'm a little on the fence when it comes to convicts for two reasons. One, people are wrongly convicted all the time. I hear all the time about convictions being turned over. What kind of justice is served if an innocent person not only has to waste half their life behind bars, but to do so in bad conditions?

Two, for the rightfully-convicted folks, it does society no good to allow mistreatment of these people (especially non-violent offenders) when these people eventually get out in society and come out much worse than when they went inside, either physically or mentally.

Lastly, I know the government loves to pit people against each other. It's a big game to them and keeps our focus off of what they're doing, which is what they want. They also want us to rely on them so they have more peons to milk dry and even more frivolous reasons to do so later on. I'm not completely against government assistance, but there definitely is a limit.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:31 PM

Osito,

I will keep teaching my children to do the right thing. It is sometimes hard to do so when you have your children not understanding why they have to live frugal or why they get punished but people who do worst then them get more privileges.

I have written my congressmen and sent them information to let them know it is appalling to have this going on. We are punishing children the future but rewarding prisoners.

I understand to keep a person calm that you need to have them entertained, however, if the punishment was more severe for prisoners would we still have an overloaded prison system? I don't think I would ever do anything to get the Mexican system upset. It is so corrupt I do not know what would happen. We have a great free country but I am concerned about the future with the direction we are going.

I understand the prisoners making federal supplies the issue here is how can anyone compete since they do not have to pay insurance for their workers, worker's comp, rent for any items used, this is all offset by the taxpayers paying for it. PS here is an article showing it is not just federal government stuff they are making (article is a little old): http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2008/07/what-do-prisoners-make-victorias-secret. Please educate me as to when the last prison was built in the USA? I do not see anything except CA saying they were no longer building anymore in 2005 so how many jobs has it supplied private companies since for the US?

I am and will do the right thing but there needs to be a question asked are we showing our children the right values anymore? Hard work pays off and sticking to the law is the right thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates