Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:14 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Regardless, sooner or later, there will be a revolt of the poorest people who will want to "even" things out. God help us all, rich, poor, or in between, when it happens.
It's not "the poor" in America who have anything to revolt about. They get pretty much everything handed to them - from free hot lunches to free college education to free tax rebates on money they never paid in.

It's the MIDDLE CLASS that our current President claims to be so concerned about. It's those of us who make just enough money to not qualify for any of the freebies, but are instead paying through the nose so that everyone else can enjoy those freebies.

If my wife & I had earned $25,000 per year less - and were minorities - all of our kids could have gone to college for FREE. Instead, we all had to pay. Oh well, stick it to the middle-class white guy. He has it coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 06:27 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
It's not "the poor" in America who have anything to revolt about. They get pretty much everything handed to them - from free hot lunches to free college education to free tax rebates on money they never paid in.

It's the MIDDLE CLASS that our current President claims to be so concerned about. It's those of us who make just enough money to not qualify for any of the freebies, but are instead paying through the nose so that everyone else can enjoy those freebies.

If my wife & I had earned $25,000 per year less - and were minorities - all of our kids could have gone to college for FREE. Instead, we all had to pay. Oh well, stick it to the middle-class white guy. He has it coming!
Big George you have no clue. If everything was handed to the poor, then we would all be clamoring to trade places with them. I've never seen a line of people backed up waiting to get into the "poor" category. And even the poorest dream that their children will escape the fate that has entrapped they themselves.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:30 PM

Default Glen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I think the part that's missing here is what happened to the income of the bottom half in dollars in real terms over the period. I am certain that it has actually increased. This is the great conflict around the idea of what is "fair" in terms of income distribution. Is it more fair to have a rising income, but a smaller share of the total, or is it more fair to have a large percentage of the total, but a stable or declining income? I think most people would say they would rather have more money, regardless of the portion of the total it represents. Would you not agree?
Right you are, sir. I'd love to be taxed at the proposed 39% rate if the Bush cuts for the poor are allowed to expire!!!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Big George you have no clue. If everything was handed to the poor, then we would all be clamoring to trade places with them. I've never seen a line of people backed up waiting to get into the "poor" category. And even the poorest dream that their children will escape the fate that has entrapped they themselves.
I have no clue? Bull$hit!

Are you going to tell me that free college education is NOT available to "the poor"? Really? Seriously? Keep in mind that I'm the guy who just put 3 kids through college in the past 10 years. Don't EVER tell me that there are NOT advantages to "the poor" that are not available to anybody else.

Save the silly rhetoric for somebody who's dumb enough to buy it.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
I have no clue? Bull$hit!

Are you going to tell me that free college education is NOT available to "the poor"? Really? Seriously? Keep in mind that I'm the guy who just put 3 kids through college in the past 10 years. Don't EVER tell me that there are NOT advantages to "the poor" that are not available to anybody else.

Save the silly rhetoric for somebody who's dumb enough to buy it.
I challenge you to live for one year exactly like the poor. Live on their income, all those wonderful advantages, stand in the unemployment line for hours, "prove" you need food stamps.

If you can do it, you're a better man than me. Until then you can yell bullsh*t all you want. You still have no clue.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Might I suggest that an excellent data source for this discussion is the recent NY Times Treatise on the subject:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/30/us...anted=all&_r=0

It makes it reasonably clear that the bottom income brackets have done much worse than the others over the past 30 years. So at least we can rid ourselves of claims that the poor are making out...

Old 12-02-2012, 06:58 PM

Default From the mouth of a 15 year old middle class girl

If the poor were able to benefit so richly from a "free" education. They'd all have it and we middle class folks would be working for them:

I got this out of the comments on a website about why the poor get a "free" education. Words in bold were highlighted by me:

"If you notice, the people living in poorer communities have a lesser level of education than people living in richer communities. So wealth limits a person's education, which for growing economies and stuff like that, higher education is deeply valued. The reason the wealthy people seem to pay more is because the governnent helps out the poorer people you mentioned above. Say x is the normal payment and y is a reduced payment 'Wealthy' people pay X and 'poorer' people pay Y because the government helps them. If the government didn't help them, there'd barely be any 'poor' people getting equal education as they deserve. It's a development/evolution thing. Jjst trying to fix flaws. That way, say "ghetto" kids (common example) get more opportunities to be someone in the future. *you shouldn't think that they're all lazy, that's a bit insulting, dontcha' think?
Source(s):

I'm a soon-to-be 15 year old girl, my dad is one of those people working to get the 'poorer' people a good/equal education."

Old 12-02-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I challenge you to live for one year exactly like the poor. Live on their income, all those wonderful advantages, stand in the unemployment line for hours, "prove" you need food stamps.

If you can do it, you're a better man than me. Until then you can yell bullsh*t all you want. You still have no clue.
Save the liberal hype for somebody who's buying it. But I'm not.

Since YOU keep claiming I have no clue, why don't you put in your big boy undies and PROVE to me that "the poor" don't have access to free education. Can you be a good boy, and run along and do that for me? Then come back and we can talk about how "disadvantaged" they all are. Until then, save it.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
If the poor were able to benefit so richly from a "free" education. They'd all have it and we middle class folks would be working for them.
Having something available does NOT mean people will take advantage of it.

Let me give you YET ANOTHER example... The Gila Community College, in Globe Arizona offers 100% FREE college education to ANY and ALL of the Apache people on the nearby San Carlos Reservation. 100% FREE.

Would you like me to tell you how many of the Apache people have taken advantage of that FREE education, and graduated with a college degree, in the past 10 years? The answer is ZERO. NONE. NIL. ZILCH.

Why? Because even though a FREE college education is available to them, they don't care. They don't want it. You cannot MAKE people want something that's good for them, even though it's free.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-29-2012 at 05:58 AM..

Old 12-02-2012, 07:09 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
For things like huge economic decisions, I wonder how much credibility anonymous internet posters really have. This is PhD/MBA stuff. It's like our cleaning lady commenting on the best way to perform brain surgery.
Not really. You spend less than you bring in with taxes. That's government economics.

You spend less than you earn and you save at least 10% of all your earnings. That's private economics.

Everything else is extra and is probably risking the money you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates