Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 12:00 PM

121 posts, read 121,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Unemployment/ to much time on city-data
How in the hell is this topic already on 18 pages in 1 day
Didn't C-D tell you about the January 2 for 1 special?

This thread is about relationships AND race.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:05 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
But the difference between a fat Hispanic/White woman and a fat Black woman really comes down to attitude. Overweight White women are generally VERY nice and accommodating, and as a man you can find relief in White/Hispanic women because they do what you ask and they're not as confrontational.

No, it's not that the girls are non-black, but more so that black women fell off the bootylishous pedestal because they gained so much weight and the non black women simply replaced them.

Let me make my point in terms of statistics....

Yes, Black men do tend marry non-Black women at higher rates for interracial marriage than do Black women who marry out...however

Out of ALL marriages (interracial and same race couples) the LEAST stable marriages are between Black men and White women. White wife/Black husband marriages are twice as likely to divorce by the 10th year of marriage compared to White/White couples

On the other hand, the marriages between White men and Black women are the MOST stable out of ALL marriages (interracial and same race couples) In the case of Black wife/White husband marriages, divorce by the 10th year of marriage is 44% less likely than among White/White unions

So if White women are so much "nicer" or more "accomodating" than Black women, why aren't they able to stay married to Black men? And why are the marriages between White men and Black women able to survive and thrive long term?

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files...arriage-II.pdf

A 2008 study by Jenifer L. Bratter and Rosalind B. King conducted on behalf of the Education Resources Information Center examined whether crossing racial boundaries increased the risk of divorce.[9] Using the 2002 National Survey of Family Growth (Cycle VI), the likelihood of divorce for interracial couples to that of same-race couples was compared. Comparisons across marriage cohorts revealed that, overall, interracial couples have higher rates of divorce, particularly for those that married during the late 1980s.[9] The authors found that gender plays a significant role in interracial divorce dynamics: According to the adjusted models predicting divorce as of the 10th year of marriage, interracial marriages that are the most vulnerable involve White females and non-White males (with the exception of White females/Hispanic White males) relative to White/White couples.[9] White wife/Black husband marriages are twice as likely to divorce by the 10th year of marriage compared to White/White couples, while White wife/Asian husband marriages are 59% more likely to end in divorce compared to White/White unions.[9] Conversely, White men/non-White women couples show either very little or no differences in divorce rates.[9] Asian wife/White husband marriages show only 4% greater likelihood of divorce by the 10th year of marriage than White/White couples.[9] In the case of Black wife/White husband marriages, divorce by the 10th year of marriage is 44% less likely than among White/White unions.[9] Intermarriages that did not cross a racial barrier, which was the case for White/Hispanic White couples, showed statistically similar likelihoods of divorcing as White/White marriages.[9]

Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,584,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
That's a lot of nonsense. There are plenty of Black people prospering every day but they're constantly overshadowed by the ghetto stereotype and people who either buy into it or contribute to it. Black people aren't going anywhere. They have a right to live in this country as any other immigrant group. Unless you're a Native American, we're all damn immigrants, so who are you tell people that they should leave?
African Americans are prospering as INDIVIDUALS, but not as a whole race. For every Michael Jordan/Oprah Winfrey, you have 1000's who go to jail, and or are chronically living in poverty for the rest of their lives.

As far as black people leaving.... It's not about your right to be here, but about, if you're not "winning" here as a whole, then you need to go immigrate somewhere else where the majority of your people can "win".

Do you realize where you live??!!! America has an extraordinary high incarceration rate; the highest in the world; and they're building more prisons. Who do you think these prisons are for?

Old 01-25-2013, 12:17 PM

303 posts, read 595,625 times
Oh, City-Data. Always providing me with a pick-me-up Lawl.

Not only am I black, but I am friends with a number of other black women. Of them, maybe a third could be categorized as "obese" (I myself am among the larger category - the life of a SysAdmin is mostly sedentary, with too many caffeine and sugar-fueled WoW Raids!). Of them, only the skinny ones are single and that's generally by choice.

We're all well-educated (one is a Biochemical Engineer, another is working on her Masters in Psychology so we have hard and soft degrees), one or two are loud and aggressive when hanging out. Out of all of us (let's say a sampling of 10 of my female friends, plus myself), I would say we've all dated other "minorities" (Latino/Hispanic for the most part), half or less have dated white (again, myself included though I am engaged to a Black Islander).

Now, about myself. I can't say I've ever had many issues dating, either as a bbw or when I was a healthier size... a fact which boggles my mind since I can be socially awkward (geek syndrome). The only race I've never had luck with is Asian (Chinese, Japanese, Korean... not including India). I can count on one hand the number of men I've slept with and would like to think that I'm not ghetto.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Can't speak for the rest of the world but I know that I can't possibly be the only one, or even part of a minor cross-section of African-American women.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Let me make my point in terms of statistics....

Yes, Black men do tend marry non-Black women at higher rates for interracial marriage than do Black women who marry out...however

Out of ALL marriages (interracial and same race couples) the LEAST stable marriages are between Black men and White women. [b]White wife/Black husband marriages are twice as likely to divorce by the 10th year of marriage compared to White/White couples

On the other hand, the marriages between White men and Black women are the MOST stable out of ALL marriages (interracial and same race couples) In the case of Black wife/White husband marriages, divorce by the 10th year of marriage is 44% less likely than among White/White unions

So if White women are so much "nicer" or more "accomodating" than Black women, why aren't they able to stay married to Black men? And why are the marriages between White men and Black women able to survive and thrive long term?

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files...arriage-II.pdf
My personal opinion:

1. Because of the family dynamics for one. I think it's much easier for all the families to get along if a Black woman marries a White man because a Black woman is not seen as a threat in the way that a Black man is. On the other hand, a White woman can be disowned by her family if she chooses to date/marry a black man, and overtime, this is going to effect the marriage. I have heard similar stuff from Americanized Asians in how they don't want their daughter to date black men. It not always due to racism, but because a significant number of Black men are unreliable and poor.

2. White men married to Black women are less likely to sleep around apposed to Black men who tend to be more promiscuous. In other words, white men are more likely to be faithful to their Black wife where as Black men are not.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
My personal opinion:

1. Because of the family dynamics for one. I think it's much easier for all the families to get along if a black woman marries a white man because a black woman is not seen as a threat in the way that a black man is. On the other hand, a white woman can be disowned by her family if she chooses to date/marry a black man, and overtime this is going to effect the marriage. I have heard similar stuff from Americanized Asians in how they don't want their daughter to date black men.

2. White men married to black women are less likely to sleep around apposed to black men who tend to be more promiscuous. In other words, white men are more likely to be faithful to their black wife where as black men are not.

OK, so please explain the reason behind some Black men making the conscious decision to vilify Black women specifically when marriages between WM/BW are more stable than marriages between BM/WW?

Why use the smoke screen of saying that Black women aren't great partners/are not accomodating/ are not nice/are too fat/are too (fill in the blank) when obviously this is not reflected in the statistics.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 PM

632 posts, read 1,030,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Yeah and none of those people are Black, they're biracial! You can't deny their white heritage.
WTH!?!?!?! They are ALL black!!!

So we still have not yet had a black president huh? Only biracial president?

Halle Berry is not the first Black actress to win Best Actress Oscar? She's one of the first biracial actresses to do so?

We stil have not yet had a Black golfer win the Masters huh? Tiger Woods isnt black according to your definition.

Was Lisa Bonet aka Denise Huxtable adopted by the black Cosby family on the tv show?

This is EXACTLY what I was talking about when I mentioned the ridiculousness of people claiming certain black people are not really black.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
OK, so please explain the reason behind some Black men making the conscious decision to vilify Black women specifically when marriages between WM/BW are more stable than marriages between BM/WW?
That's not me. They have my FULL blessing.

Quote:
Why use the smoke screen of saying that Black women aren't great partners/are not accomodating/ are not nice/are too fat/are too (fill in the blank) when obviously this is not reflected in the statistics.
I see where you're trying to go with this. You can't use the statics for interracial relationships and try to use that to make a point about same race relations.

Yes, there ARE good American black women out there, but the majority of American Black women are not so good which is why decent Black men are either dating other races, or they're dating women from other countries.

I'm not one to post videos, but this documentary lays it all out for you. This is the full video as to why black men had enough:Frustrated Black American Men in Brazil (DOCUMENTARY) - Video Dailymotion

Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 PM

4 posts, read 3,789 times
I ain't trying to throw no shade, but there's some angry black women up in here. Stop trying to make us look bad. Who care's if white men don't want us. I know I aint' down with the swirl.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
That's not me. They have my FULL blessing.

I see where you're trying to go with this. You can't use the statics for interracial relationships and try to use that to make a point about same race relations.

Yes, there ARE good American black women out there, but the majority of American Black women are not so good which is why decent Black men are either dating other races, or they're dating women from other countries.

I'm not one to post videos, but this documentary lays it all out for you. This is the full video as to why black men had enough:Frustrated Black American Men in Brazil (DOCUMENTARY) - Video Dailymotion

And when they do, the marriages between non-Black women and Black American men are far less stable and much more likely to end in divorce as reflected in the statistics. So again, why are Black women who marry interracially more likely to remain married than Black men who do the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.