Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 03:25 PM

624 posts, read 939,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I'm not talking about those people. I'm not including homeless or disabled people. I understand their situation can be different.

I was addressing the poster who said it was impossible for working people to cook from scratch all the time, and to survive on a 200 food budget for one person per month without eating junk food. That's pretty offensive since I'm one of those people. God forbid I budget my meals and don't eat out. How dare I say it can be done.
Whether or not you can get by on $200 per month for food is affected greatly by your market area, your transportation options, and your dietary needs, among other things. People with diabetes, celiac disease, or food allergies for example can have a hell of a time eating cheaply. I'll say it again, you can't make generalizations that fit everyone. In my town, milk is $4.99 per gallon on average. Buy one gallon per week and that's 1/10 of the total allowance for one person right there. There is also the major problem of "food deserts" in low-income areas where there are only small corner stores to shop at, which are more expensive. If you don't have a car or money for bus fare/no nearby bus stop, you're stuck. I don't live in one of those areas, but there's a big swath of low income neighborhoods in my city like that. You just can't judge people when there are factors you don't know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 03:56 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,157,453 times
Some other posters here have been very thoughtful in this debate....taking time to contribute meaningful relevant facts, while some others rely on the same regurgitated anecdotal stories exaagerated to defend their stance, such ad " all the people I know abuse food stamps to buy lobster and alcohol". ( you cant buy alcohol with foodstamps). I am disappointed this wasnt more of an honest debate, rather than posts asserting that "everyone" abuses the system. Sure there are some who do, but there are many many who do not abuse it. Any system will include some abuse...its impossible to get rid of all abuse but you dont punish the majority who truly need it and dont abuse it. The other argument that concerns me is the notion that "its my business what strangers do if its tax funded". Many programs are tax funded. There is govt assistance for family planning, including abortions, but does that mean you go around peering in peoples bedrooms to make sure their using a condom?

Old 09-17-2013, 04:09 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
No Food Stamps for Soda | National Review Online This is something that people here in KS really want to see. And, this would help also: Kansas Senator Pat Roberts introduces food stamp reform bill - KFDI And, yes, they need to do something about wages being paid by places like retail where big profits are reaped for investors while we pick up the tab to supplement the incomes of their workers. BUT, there are a lot of deadbeats getting these benefits and buying junk and then visiting the food pantries to fill in until we give them another payday. They do not know how to shop. I was on food stamps 30 years ago for 2 months and we never ate so good and at the end of the month, we could treat ourselves to items we couldn't afford while working. I would like to see them just issue food like they did during the depression. Adding this interesting article: http://wicwoes.com/2011/why-arent-food-stamps-like-wic

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 09-17-2013 at 04:19 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 04:35 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Who is snooping? Apparently you are. And you didnt answer my question about other tax payer funded services such as family pkanning services ( tins of your taxes go to)...have you felt the need to monitor strangers bedroom activities and if they are using birth control? If not, why not?
No, I'm not snooping you jerk. If I do something right in front of you, you aren't snooping if you see it. Words have definitions, learn them.

I didn't see your other question. Family planning services, to help reduce the number of unwanted births, are a good thing. That is education and preventive health care really. Its good for individuals and society and a net economic and social benefit.

I don't care if people have kids or not, as long as they can pay for the ones they do that. That is a highly complex question beyond that and deserves its own discussion. And no, very little tax money overall goes to family planning. More goes to food aid. Even more to corporate welfare which I dislike even more.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:47 PM

Timbwrline, it is snooping if you are making mental note of all the foods a stranger buys and the manner in which they pay for it . When I go to the store, i see there are customers ahead of me of c o urse, but I dont have any personal need to make a mental checklist of all the different types of foods rhey buy, and then check to see how the hell they are paying for it. As far as tax money for family planning, abortions etc, Planned Parenthood is a multi billion dollar corp...since you claim that you need to keep track of how strangers eat bwcause of taxes, it seems like you would be quizzing strangers on if they are using condoms every time, so that yur taxes wont have to pay for their abortions.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:49 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Timbwrline, it is snooping if you are making mental note of all the foods a stranger buys and the manner in which they pay for it . When I go to the store, i see there are customers ahead of me of c o urse, but I dont have any personal need to make a mental checklist of all the different types of foods rhey buy, and then check to see how the hell they are paying for it. As far as tax money for family planning, abortions etc, Planned Parenthood is a multi billion dollar corp...since you claim that you need to keep track of how strangers eat bwcause of taxes, it seems like you would be quizzing strangers on if they are using condoms every time, so that yur taxes wont have to pay for their abortions.
You are perseverating again. Why are you going on and on and on about this, attacking everything people say and saying they are snooping. You have taken my words out of context and misrepresented my comments and implied that I said what I did not say. Now you are doing it to timberline742. You are trolling and trying to bait people. And you are new here too. Like I told Sevdick, being a new poster maybe you should sit back and not run your mouth so much, and definitely don't take people's words out of context and misrepresent what they say, and STOP BAITING PEOPLE.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:55 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:

Who is making a mental note of ALL the foods a person buys? Noticing a piece of meat or some big bags of chips is the same as taking inventory? And if you hand over cash or take out a card in front of me, I'm going to see it.

Planned Parenthood if a private business. Also, taxpayer money doesn't go to abortions. If people want to have kids or abortions it isn't my business as long as I'm not paying it.

ALSO, if this hasn't sunk in I'M NOT ASKING anyone anything about their food purchases OR their sex lives. IF they do either in front of me, I'm going to see it.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:56 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Luzane, stop trhying to dictate to me . You have come here all day to post, so dont try to insinuate to others like myself and svedic that we shouldnt come here. Just like others have suggested to you above, kindly mind your own affairs.
I didn't tell you not to come here. I said you might want to watch BAITING people like you are, misrepresenting what they say, and taking their comments out of context. When you are new to a forum, sometimes you don't understand what is okay and what is not. What you have done is not okay. You have done it to me and now you're doing it to Timberline.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:04 PM

Actually, if you read above, there were other posters abOve such as evee, who described that behavior as snooping. I added my two cents in, that yes, it is. We dont need to agree, and thats fine...we definately have very different beliefs and personalities. Just because you dont agree with others opinions, you shouldnt claim you have more right to post than posters such as svedic and myself who havent been here as long. Theres not much more to say, but if others have a diferent viewpoint, please dont try to shut them down or tell them to "stop running their mouth" as you did to me and another poster above. Thank you and have a nice day

Old 09-17-2013, 05:27 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
Shrugs

It seems easier to judge someone in a line at a grocery store using EBT cards, than it is some big, faceless corporation that receives some sort of "preference" by the government where it receive huge tax breaks.

I usually think to myself that I am blessed not to be in that person's shoes who is using the card. For me, personally, there are bigger things to be concerned about than what someone else is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates