Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:43 AM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Monsanto GMO is a very small part of GMO research and development.

I have a question myself;

1) Without GMO drought-resistant seed how would you suggest people grow crops in drought-prone areas?

2) Without GMO insect-resistant crops, what pesticides would you recommend are used to reduce exposure to toxic chemicals?

Bear in mind I'm not talking about small organic farms in Maine and Oregon, I'm talking about feeding billions of people in Africa and Asia.

Thanks.

Zimbochick, did you watch the movie? ("Seeds of Death" posted by Gary Null.) I see no alternative to GMO. I see the option of growing our food with sane practices that don't mess up our environment; ie, killing bees, negatively affecting immune systems and infesting the crops of traditional farmers with seeds they are not legally entitled to use and which do not impact life on this planet in a positive manner.

Please watch the video. The answers you are looking for are hugely complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It is. And I'll add, most people; even those who think of themselves as "green friendly" or "environmentally conscious" are also kidding themselves when they do not address the problem of mass produced meat and it's environmental impact.
I agree. Our methods of producing food for human consumption is rife with greed and cruelty, not to mention polluting the very land we depend on.

Thanks for your comments, all.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:13 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Zimbochick, did you watch the movie? ("Seeds of Death" posted by Gary Null.) I see no alternative to GMO. I see the option of growing our food with sane practices that don't mess up our environment; ie, killing bees, negatively affecting immune systems and infesting the crops of traditional farmers with seeds they are not legally entitled to use and which do not impact life on this planet in a positive manner.

I agree. Our methods of producing food for human consumption is rife with greed and cruelty, not to mention polluting the very land we depend on.

Thanks for your comments, all.

I agree. Return to normal, natural methods of farming that respect the earth and our environment.

The unconscionable cruelty of factory farming diminishes us as human beings, and as a society.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:31 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:

I know my question is complicated, that's why I asked it. Again, how do you suggest feeding the planet, all 7 billion people?

Yes, I have seen "Seeds of Death", and trust me you don't want my opinion on it. There was a time that Null had some okay ideas, but he is completely off the rails of the crazy train these days. He has a very lucrative business selling his wares though (surprise surprise). AIDS deniers are not my favorite people.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I know my question is complicated, that's why I asked it. Again, how do you suggest feeding the planet, all 7 billion people?

Yes, I have seen "Seeds of Death", and trust me you don't want my opinion on it. There was a time that Null had some okay ideas, but he is completely off the rails of the crazy train these days. He has a very lucrative business selling his wares though (surprise surprise). AIDS deniers are not my favorite people.
You may be happy to know that I am only just beginning to research the topic of GMO. You may be completely right about the ideas/opinions presented in the video; believe me I will be working on it. I started this thread because what it said is alarming to me and I need more info. And as you mentioned earlier, it seems Monsanto does indeed deserve a second look as far as the rest of their activities go.

As for your challenge to suggest alternatives: I know that when one questions an idea it's helpful to have an alternative, but in this case it's "not my job." Each area of the world has it's own set of circumstances regarding population, politics, topography, culture, raw materials, etc., etc. It has to be worked out locally, I would imagine. Look at North Korea for example. The government keeps the people at starvation levels for political purposes. If the properties of GMO are as horrible as some say they are, would you propose polluting the food chain to solve the problem?

Thanks for your input!

Old 02-26-2014, 07:41 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
You may be happy to know that I am only just beginning to research the topic of GMO. You may be completely right about the ideas/opinions presented in the video; believe me I will be working on it. I started this thread because what it said is alarming to me and I need more info. And as you mentioned earlier, it seems Monsanto does indeed deserve a second look as far as the rest of their activities go.
Good for you. Key to educating oneself is finding resources you can trust, and in the case of GMOs, opinions backed by credible science. Null is a bit of a loon honestly.

Quote:
As for your challenge to suggest alternatives: I know that when one questions an idea it's helpful to have an alternative, but in this case it's "not my job." Each area of the world has it's own set of circumstances regarding population, politics, topography, culture, raw materials, etc., etc. It has to be worked out locally, I would imagine. Look at North Korea for example. The government keeps the people at starvation levels for political purposes. If the properties of GMO are as horrible as some say they are, would you propose polluting the food chain to solve the problem?
Well I'm sorry you feel that way, I most certainly feel the exact opposite and care very much about the wellbeing of my brothers and sisters around the globe. The bottom line for me is that science does not support the notion that GMOs are the boogie man, but GMOs are the only way we are going to be able to feed everyone in the long run. As you have stated the wellbeing of others isn't a priority for you that puts things into perspective.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:45 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whxwlvr View Post
Anyone interested in America's food sources should watch the movie "Food Inc.", ....very interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Profit driven corporate farming! Key words profit & corporate!
Quote:
I see the option of growing our food with sane practices that don't mess up our environment; ie, killing bees, negatively affecting immune systems and infesting the crops of traditional farmers with seeds they are not legally entitled to use and which do not impact life on this planet in a positive manner.
I'll watch this video but after watching Food Inc. AksarbeN sums it up. Big business runs farming.
What Monsanto did with the soy beans is nothing more than a monopoly and hurting independent farmers.
Anyone my age might remember the commercials during the 70's that ran ads saying "Chemicals
are our friends." People protested, were skeptical as well as suspicious of what could happen.
Here we are in 2014.

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 02-26-2014 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: addtn

Old 02-26-2014, 09:09 PM

275 posts, read 434,059 times
Gary Null is a complete quack in everyway and this movie is a shameful attempt to fan fears rather than disseminate any useful information about GMOs. He is simply manufacturing fear and controversy among people who are broadly unfamiliar with all forms of food technology, in hopes of promoting his little corporate empire of books/tapes, supplements, speaking engagements, and the like. Don't accept his pablum on his word alone and do more research yourself. Yes, Monsanto and other companies that make GMOs are fanatically fighting for every dollar they can squeeze out of people, but so is Gary Null (he just isn't as intelligent or as saavy as the six-figure penny-grubbing sharp shooters found running larger corporations). He doesn't care about any of us, he simply wants our money -- just like Monsanto.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Good for you. Key to educating oneself is finding resources you can trust, and in the case of GMOs, opinions backed by credible science. Null is a bit of a loon honestly.

Thanks for your perspective. Looks like I need to find out who that Null guy really is.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way, I most certainly feel the exact opposite and care very much about the wellbeing of my brothers and sisters around the globe. The bottom line for me is that science does not support the notion that GMOs are the boogie man, but GMOs are the only way we are going to be able to feed everyone in the long run. As you have stated the wellbeing of others isn't a priority for you that puts things into perspective.

I don't think that is a fair assessment and I don't appreciate the putdown. I care very much about the welfare of other people... so much so that some years ago, working for a non-profit, I burned myself out pretty badly.

The reason I said "not my job" was not because I don't care but because I am not able to monitor or modify the actions of people in say, Africa or Korea, since they are the ones who get to decide how they want to live. Sure, I can write letters to congressional representatives or something but that's probably not that effective.

Now can we go back to being civil?

Old 02-27-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I'll watch this video but after watching Food Inc. AksarbeN sums it up. Big business runs farming.
What Monsanto did with the soy beans is nothing more than a monopoly and hurting independent farmers.
Anyone my age might remember the commercials during the 70's that ran ads saying "Chemicals
are our friends." People protested, were skeptical as well as suspicious of what could happen.
Here we are in 2014.

Thanks for your comments. It's pretty frustrating watching what's happening in the farming industry. Did you know that local farmers' markets are making a strong comeback? That seems to be a good alternative (ironic, huh?) to Big Farming and I'm hoping to be able to participate in that by supporting them.

There don't seem to be too many farmers' markets near me, but I'll be looking for them.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopOnPop View Post
Gary Null is a complete quack in everyway and this movie is a shameful attempt to fan fears rather than disseminate any useful information about GMOs. He is simply manufacturing fear and controversy among people who are broadly unfamiliar with all forms of food technology, in hopes of promoting his little corporate empire of books/tapes, supplements, speaking engagements, and the like. Don't accept his pablum on his word alone and do more research yourself. Yes, Monsanto and other companies that make GMOs are fanatically fighting for every dollar they can squeeze out of people, but so is Gary Null (he just isn't as intelligent or as saavy as the six-figure penny-grubbing sharp shooters found running larger corporations). He doesn't care about any of us, he simply wants our money -- just like Monsanto.
Thanks for adding your comments on Null. I had no idea and will be looking into that.

I agree, it seems like greed for money is behind so much of what we see in daily life. I don't mind people making a living by selling their wares but it does get out of hand way too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates