Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,038,508 times

Advertisements

Why do some people take every opportunity to verbally attack people on assistance? I am constantly reading posts on forums and social sites that indicate that anyone one welfare or food stamps is a greedy, lazy freeloader.

That is not the case. As a single mom of two children, we are on welfare. I work 40-50 hours a week in addition to maintaining a household and raising children.

I know way more people that work full time and get assistance, then I know that do not work and get assistance. Help me understand.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:48 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
The shear volume that most of us are paying.

Food Stamp Recipients Outnumber Women Who Work Full-Time | CNS News

Quote:
In the average month of 2012, according to the Department of Agriculture, there were 46,609,000 people participating in the food stamp program (formally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program). That contrasts with the 44,059,000 women who worked full-time, year-round in 2012, according to the Census Bureau’s report on Income, Poverty and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 AM

872 posts, read 828,414 times
Help you understand???

Maybe you need to understand the circumstances you are in....how you got there... and how you will be able to get off of the Welfare.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:05 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Why do some people take every opportunity to verbally attack people on assistance? I am constantly reading posts on forums and social sites that indicate that anyone one welfare or food stamps is a greedy, lazy freeloader.

That is not the case. As a single mom of two children, we are on welfare. I work 40-50 hours a week in addition to maintaining a household and raising children.

I know way more people that work full time and get assistance, then I know that do not work and get assistance. Help me understand.
I may be a little biased on this subject having been a cashier and seen people spend all their food stamps on expensive foods that I couldn't afford, and then watching them spend cash on fancy furniture, movies, big-screen TVs and the like, but I think most of them deserve to be put in their place. I once heard a twelve-year old girl say to her mother, who spent almost 100 bucks of WIC on the baby formulas she needed, "I can't wait until I'm old enough to get on WIC!" It was so hard to keep my mouth shut my blood started boiling.

Then of course there's the fact that so many of them have entitled, nasty attitudes and walk into stores with a chip on their shoulder, like just because those of us who work for a living and pay their taxes on top of it, are there that we have to put up with whatever treatment they dish out because the taxpayers are paying for everything they buy and therefore they strangely consider themselves "customers". The ones on WIC can't even be bothered to bring their own pen to the store!!! I'm so over the entitlement mentality in this country and I feel that it's not getting any better. It's disgusting!!!

Old 04-15-2014, 10:42 AM

702 posts, read 727,133 times
When your anger and disdain you carry is pointed at those who have less than you then a reevaluation of your outlook on life may be in order.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:45 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,501,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I may be a little biased on this subject having been a cashier and seen people spend all their food stamps on expensive foods that I couldn't afford, and then watching them spend cash on fancy furniture, movies, big-screen TVs and the like, but I think most of them deserve to be put in their place. I once heard a twelve-year old girl say to her mother, who spent almost 100 bucks of WIC on the baby formulas she needed, "I can't wait until I'm old enough to get on WIC!" It was so hard to keep my mouth shut my blood started boiling.

Then of course there's the fact that so many of them have entitled, nasty attitudes and walk into stores with a chip on their shoulder, like just because those of us who work for a living and pay their taxes on top of it, are there that we have to put up with whatever treatment they dish out because the taxpayers are paying for everything they buy and therefore they strangely consider themselves "customers". The ones on WIC can't even be bothered to bring their own pen to the store!!! I'm so over the entitlement mentality in this country and I feel that it's not getting any better. It's disgusting!!!
This is why so many people have the attitude they have about WIC. There are many people who need it and don't abuse it. They are humble and thankful for the assistance they get and trying to make a better life.

But I have a friend that teaches at a school in the poorer part of our town. Most of those people are on welfare. They spend their money on cigarettes, booze, tatoo's, and the luxury items you mentioned. They have several kids from different men. I just don't understand why they are having babies that they can't take care of. Most of them don't care about their kids education. They get free lunches, free breakfast,free supplies, etc. The kids aren't bathed, have foul mouths, etc. And so it becomes a circular problem. The kids grow up just like their parents and so the circle continues.

It is just like you said. Their attitude of entitlement. They act like they are the ones taking care of the kids. In actuality, it is us, the taxpayers paying for them. But yet, most of them have this attitude like they deserve it and are entitled to it. That is what is frustrating for me. The fact they keep having kids and putting them on the system and they aren't even the ones taking care of them. They are doing nothing but just churning out the next generation of users who feel they are entitled. I am all for helping the people who are trying, teaching their kids respect, not selfishly blowing the money, and understanding that they are getting help and not entitled to it. Some people really do need it and again, I am all for helping them. Any of us can hit on hard times. But far too many keep churning out babies, are ungrateful, arrogant, wasteful, and users of other people's money. That is what people complain about.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:46 AM

41,970 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Because 99 percent of them have never been in dire circumstances, yet they fancy they know exactly how "easy" it would be to get themselves out of such a quandary.

The other 1 percent are probably jealous.

Or maybe it's the other way around.

Either way, ignore them. And good luck to you.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:19 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,567,335 times
Lol, the same tired talking points. It's fascinating that I have never seen any of those instances that other people claim happens all the time. Uh huh. Can someone tell me exactly how much of your taxes goes towards the SNAP program?

Old 04-15-2014, 01:00 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,399,447 times
What I'd like to know is how these same people can unironically bellyache about "welfare" while taking thousands in benefits from the government every year. Public schools are a much more expensive entitlement than food stamps. If you send your kids there, you have no right to complain. Middle class people with kids in public schools spend money on stupid stuff all these time. Should we brand them with a Scarlett P? Those enormous interstate highways you take to work? They didn't build themselves either. And the list goes on forever. People need to get a grip on reality.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:14 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, the same tired talking points. It's fascinating that I have never seen any of those instances that other people claim happens all the time. Uh huh. Can someone tell me exactly how much of your taxes goes towards the SNAP program?
I read (but can't remember the source, sorry) that at $50,000 annual income, $36 goes to SNAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates