Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:18 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times

Advertisements

Does Hip Hop culture contribute to the destruction of young Black Youth in America? It seems that many young Americans(especially young black males) idolize and look up to rappers who perpetuate negative stereotypes they portray like materialism, solving every problem with violence, degrading females, not valuing education, homophobism, etc. Is Hip Hop destroying the young Black Youth of this country?

Old 03-01-2013, 04:35 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Does Hip Hop culture contribute to the destruction of young Black Youth in America? It seems that many young Americans(especially young black males) idolize and look up to rappers who perpetuate negative stereotypes they portray like materialism, solving every problem with violence, degrading females, not valuing education, homophobism, etc. Is Hip Hop destroying the young Black Youth of this country?
I don't think its ruining just the black culture, but ALL cultures. Every culture out there tries to imitate it and it is, quite frankly, disgusting. You see white, black, asian, indian, and every culture in the world dressing in "hip hop" clothings, speaking like they are some "gangster," and listening to god awful music, which only promotes violence, usually with guns, and demeans women.

Its truly funny trying to talk with a white 16 yr old girl and ask her what the lyrics from this or that song means. When you show them written and explain it tells men, the only thing you are good for, is sex. You'll never amount to be anything but a "ho." You should truly see the look in their eyes. They get it, for about 10 seconds. Then go right back to what they were doing.

If I had my way, it would be banned off the face of the earth. I wonder how many "hip hop" singers and rappers will be shot and killed in Las Vegas this weekend...

Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
No. Hip-hop and rap are two different genres.
Also, music doesn't make the murder rate in my city top 10 in the nation. You would have to be ignorant to blame music for societies problems.

People said the same exact thing about jazz, then rock and roll, then disco, then hip-hop, now rap... soon my generation will say it about some other form of music when I'm old.

This entire thread is shallow.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:08 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
No. Hip hop has only brung to the mainstream what has been going on in Black America for many years. The good, a lot of the bad, and a lot of ugly.

The thing that is mostly responsible for the destruction of young black youth is parents not being parents. If you think hip hop is so bad, don't allow that music in your home. If you think your kid is up to no good, check it out. I totally understand that a lot of black parents are working around the clock to keep food on the table but you still have the responsiblity of being a parent.

My mother knew I like hip hop music and play violent video games, but she also took the time to tell me how to respect women and human life. She also made sure I knew there were consqeuences for my actions.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:44 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Yes...so much of it is negative. It affects more than black american youth, but it does the most damage to them since they are a ethnic minority in the U.S. That doesn't mean that there aren't other factors that are more destructive though.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
I believe it is leading to destruction. Most rap and hip hop perpetuate gangsta sterotypes that find its way into every culture. My wife and I watched a movie "on the Ice" which was about of Eskimos in Alaska and the teenagers partied rapped, drank and eventually killed on of their own and tried to cover it up. In a party scene my wife asked me why are they all acting so black? That's what kids do today I said.
What bugs me about rap is how the kids idolize the likes of Chris Brown, Kenye West, 50 cent and others who are just thugs that make alot of noise to get noticed. These are the characters that influence the kids.

I have long said it, The way blacks influence, music, movies, pop culture, fashion and how they dominate sports if they could only get out of the ghetto and stop killing each other they could take over the world.
Negative Rap brings them down.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,372 times
Not Hip Hop specifically but the whole Keepin it real/don't snitch/anti education/anti hard work mindset is very destructive not only for young blacks but all young people. It isn't just a black thing. It seems that ignorance, lazyness and recklessness is what is considered "cool" these days.

What I can't seem to understand is why young minorities can't see the whole "keep it real" thing for what it is.. a trick to keep them uneducated, in the criminal justice system and under the thumb of the ruling class.

Last edited by dubyanumberone; 03-01-2013 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-01-2013, 09:03 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,740 times
Didn't we go through this with rock n' roll during the 50-90s when it was the dominant music in America?

Old 03-01-2013, 11:00 AM

31,035 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Didn't we go through this with rock n' roll during the 50-90s when it was the dominant music in America?
Maybe drug addiction, but you don't see too many murders in the Rock and Roll generations.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Maybe drug addiction, but you don't see too many murders in the Rock and Roll generations.
It's the music that causes people to murder each other rather than poverty, broken homes, and a lack of education? What about the role mental illness or domestic violence?

A perfectly normal human being who was raised properly and who is not mentally ill can be turned into a murderer by listening to some Little Wayne?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.