Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:04 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times

Advertisements

^^^not to mention that if the person instead saw actual vegetables in the cart instead of crap junk food, they'd complain that food stamp users are eating fresh vegetables when they themselves can't afford it. How much do you want to bet that is exactly what would be said?

Old 04-15-2014, 03:08 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
^^^not to mention that if the person instead saw actual vegetables in the cart instead of crap junk food, they'd complain that food stamp users are eating fresh vegetables when they themselves can't afford it. How much do you want to bet that is exactly what would be said?
Good point! That is exactly what would happen.

Heaven forbid if any of that produce were organic.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:11 PM

947 posts, read 1,464,950 times
Quote:
I'd find a painter, and volunteer to work for free just to learn the tricks and get the practice.
These days painter only take in Mexicans to teach the trade and they get paid jack.

Cleaning places don't a by the hour charge. They have a by the job charge depending upon size of the place and what optional deep cleaning jobs. Said deep cleaning often takes hours and just costs 30 bucks or so.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:14 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I read (but can't remember the source, sorry) that at $50,000 annual income, $36 goes to SNAP.
good point.
In America, blaming the poor seems to be a toxic past time, instead of talking about what factions really trashed the economy. People find it easier to hate on single Moms , the unfortunates etc.

I for one have no problem helping out people that cant afford food for their children, instead of throwing that money away at the gas pump to give it to Royal Dutch/Shell oil.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:16 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Pedro, why are you even wasting money by hiring people to clean your house & do yardwork when you can do it yourself? Instead of complaining about people who wouldn't bother to clean for under $25/hour (and frankly, I wouldn't either), take it upon yourself to clean your own house and do your own yardwork. Then you wouldn't find the need to complain about what people won't work for.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:18 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
The 1% fraud on SNAP is a myth. Yes, you can go to several sites that quote that figure, but, if you look at the USDA site that defines fraud and quotes the 1% figure, it plainly states

Quote:
SNAP fraud is when SNAP benefits are exchanged for cash. This is called trafficking and it is against the law.
Trafficking is fraud, but all fraud is not trafficking.

The two yahoos living on a yacht in Florida while they were getting SNAP (Along with many other benefits) were committing fraud as well, but not trafficking.

Everyone should remember this story from late last year, when the EBT system went down.. Food Stamp Glitch Leaves Walmart Shelves Bare: ‘Like a Tornado Had Came Through’ | Video | TheBlaze.com That is technically fraud.

Noone should have any animosity against someone on SNAP just because they're on SNAP. That program is there to make sure people are fed. Animosity towards people who did like the above.. Yeah, I can understand that.. If someone is trying to cheat the system. But, SNAP is making sure that adults and/or kids are fed and don't go hungry. Same with WIC. If someone is on that for years.. So be it. I'd much PREFER that people were working to get themselves off it.. Some are, some aren't.. But, either way, that's a program that needs to continue. Perhaps not quite at the levels that it has come to recently, but.. It needs to stay.

True welfare.. Is a different story for me. Being on it for a limited time is fine.. Everyone needs help sometimes. Welfare as a way of life.. I have a real problem with that. And remember that welfare is not SNAP. Two different things.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:34 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,399,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeesc View Post
The people that pay for those programs have every right to use them and complain about the quality of their child's education or the quality of the roads. If less people were on assistance there would be less everyone as a whole had to pay out, money is not free. The people that have no right to complain are those that do not pay into the system. If someone works for everything they buy and they are frivolous with their money, who cares, they worked for the money, it is none of anyone's business but theirs.
Although the figure varies from place to place, public schools cost in the neighborhood of $10,000 per student per year. How many people do you know who pay that much in taxes just for that one service? If you want to play the game, parents of kids under 18 are, far and away, the biggest takers in America. Those of us without kids are the one getting taken to the cleaners to pay for their little brats. But that's ok with me, because just about everybody gets much more from the government than they pay in and I believe doing something for children is important. However, you cannot neatly divide our population in those who pay and those who don't. Everybody gets taxed at some point. The mythological non contributing welfare queen is as real as unicorns and Santa Claus.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:44 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,949,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
5 packages of filet mignon....right. Evidence please. And who cares if they did? They get a specific dollar amount. If they want to buy steak, they can. That's your own problem if you're not buying yourself some filet mignon. Regardless, it's all urban legend.
It is impossible to provide evidence, but the woman had 5 packages of filets that were wrapped in bacon. And yes, I suppose it is my problem that I don't blow money on filet mignon, but you would think someone who is getting free food would be careful how she budgeted it. The money would go further without these type of extravagances.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-15-2014 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: Standards of the Great Debates forum

Old 04-15-2014, 03:48 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,501,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
What I'd like to know is how these same people can unironically bellyache about "welfare" while taking thousands in benefits from the government every year. Public schools are a much more expensive entitlement than food stamps. If you send your kids there, you have no right to complain. Middle class people with kids in public schools spend money on stupid stuff all these time. Should we brand them with a Scarlett P? Those enormous interstate highways you take to work? They didn't build themselves either. And the list goes on forever. People need to get a grip on reality.
Please stop comparing roads, bridges, etc. to people exploiting the welfare system. Again, We are talking aout people that EXPLOIT the system, not those they are truly trying. Everyone uses the highways. All of our taxes go toward that. Property taxes go toward education. But there is a lot of waste in education.

But that doesn't justify people taking money from the middle class to support their habits, their big screen tv's, iPhones, etc. It doesn't justify people having kids by several different men because they don't have to worry about paying for them. The middle class folks will take care of the babies that they keep having and can't afford. Then those same kids become dependent on the system and of course it is always someone else's fault.

Funny how the families that are dependent on others to take care of them from generation to generation, never put any value on education. But always want to blame someone else for their predicament. I understand hitting on hard times...job loss, health issues, etc. but it is the same families generation after generation.

I've seen first hand how much they thumb their noses at education and hard work. Again, I'm talking about families that are generational welfare families, NOT those who hit on hard times temporarily. Those people deserve help.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:55 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
What your little link fails to tell you is that the majority of those on food stamps are working full time jobs.

Walmart loves to underpay it's workers so they have to be on food stamps.

Oh btw the majority of those on welfare are white and live in rural areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The shear volume that most of us are paying.

Food Stamp Recipients Outnumber Women Who Work Full-Time | CNS News
Food stamps and entitlement programs are a small amount of the total money collected from taxpayers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates