Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:41 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times

Advertisements

Here's a list of common fertility treatments. You can read about each one of these here.
  • Fertility Drugs
  • Artificial Insemination
  • Donor Sperm
  • In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
  • Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI)
  • Donor Eggs
  • Surrogacy
  • Donor Embryos
  • Reproductive Surgery
  • Gamete Intrafallopian Transfer (GIFT)
  • Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT)

1 in 8 couples have difficulty conceiving.

Source

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-17-2014 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 04-15-2014, 09:26 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times
Yes. The country is overpopulated enough. If people would stop being selfish and stop having kids for their own sake, maybe we can get the population under control.

I always wonder, if we stopped all infertility treatments, how fast would the population be reduced? Especially since infertility treatments tend to produce multiple babies (twins, triplets, etc) to people who wouldn't have them otherwise.

I'm all for ending infertility treatments and supporting sterilization/birth control.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:28 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
I think people should adopt rather than throw tons of money at fertility treatments. Sure, try a couple...but some of these methods are so outrageously expensive that you have to wonder why they do it.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:38 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I think people should adopt rather than throw tons of money at fertility treatments. Sure, try a couple...but some of these methods are so outrageously expensive that you have to wonder why they do it.
For those that I know that have done just that, their reasoning is because they want THEIR OWN child WITH their husband, not someone else's kid. I also know, from other women, that adoption in the U.S. can be extremely expensive and hard too, it's why so many are adopting from out of the country.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
For those that I know that have done just that, their reasoning is because they want THEIR OWN child WITH their husband, not someone else's kid. I also know, from other women, that adoption in the U.S. can be extremely expensive and hard too, it's why so many are adopting from out of the country.
Really? Because the woman that I babysit for has a son that she adopted. She said that they called her as soon as he was born and she got him that same day (free of charge). I thought that couples were adopting from outside the country because it's faster.

Aren't the prices for IVF and adopting an infant similar?

Old 04-15-2014, 10:58 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Yes. The country is overpopulated enough. If people would stop being selfish and stop having kids for their own sake, maybe we can get the population under control.

I always wonder, if we stopped all infertility treatments, how fast would the population be reduced? Especially since infertility treatments tend to produce multiple babies (twins, triplets, etc) to people who wouldn't have them otherwise.

I'm all for ending infertility treatments and supporting sterilization/birth control.
We have lost all sense of purpose, if wanting your own child to love, nurture and raise is now considered being selfish.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
I don't have a problem with those who value life --- but a lot of these measures have a total disregard for life. Women will agree to have 4 or even more embryos implanted only to have some of them destroyed.

I have relatives who used IVF but had 4 eggs fertilized and were prepared to have all 4 babies, none would be killed.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:08 AM

778 posts, read 823,914 times
Not every implanted embryo will end up being viable, and if they all are, it can adversely affect the health of the other embryos as well as the person carrying them.

I don't think it's wrong, because I am pro-choice in reproductive matters. It doesn't matter if I like it or don't approve of it--I think people should have as many options as possible and the right to use those options. So if someone wants to use IVF, go for it. If someone wants to have 20+ kids, go for it. If someone wants to be sterilized at 18, go for it.

We have too many people in this world, I agree, but birthrates are declining at more countries become developed, and will probably continue to do so. I think there are better ways to encourage this trend than by limiting reproductive freedom.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't have a problem with those who value life --- but a lot of these measures have a total disregard for life. Women will agree to have 4 or even more embryos implanted only to have some of them destroyed.

I have relatives who used IVF but had 4 eggs fertilized and were prepared to have all 4 babies, none would be killed.
Sounds like Kate Gosselin's situation when she found out about the sextuplets (there was a 7th, but it didn't survive). She was against a reduction.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:14 PM

830 posts, read 1,666,725 times
Default Fertility treatments

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
Not every implanted embryo will end up being viable, and if they all are, it can adversely affect the health of the other embryos as well as the person carrying them.

I don't think it's wrong, because I am pro-choice in reproductive matters. It doesn't matter if I like it or don't approve of it--I think people should have as many options as possible and the right to use those options. So if someone wants to use IVF, go for it. If someone wants to have 20+ kids, go for it. If someone wants to be sterilized at 18, go for it.

We have too many people in this world, I agree, but birthrates are declining at more countries become developed, and will probably continue to do so. I think there are better ways to encourage this trend than by limiting reproductive freedom.
I totally agree. Although I am morally opposed to IVF I think it should be available for the people who do want to use it. Right now my husband and I are wondering if we will ever have our own children, so I do not criticize those who are seriously considering fertility treatments of any kind. Both of us don't want to have to use fertility treatments for ourselves but it might be the only way... He wants a child of his own lineage while I would not care if the child came to us through my pregnancy or through adoption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates