Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 04:54 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Why didn't you keep going and mention Obama? You almost got to the answer, but fell short.
Because I was talking to a Republican who seemed to want to blame Democrats for the crisis, and I was pointing out that the situation was not tackled by any previous Republican administrations.

But yes, it makes my point as well -- it wasn't a "crisis" under Democrat administrations, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 05:03 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
A pedestrian overpass to Canada...

Old 05-17-2018, 03:12 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
None of you arguing for the border wall have proven to me that there even is a "border crisis". None of you have made more than one point supporting the existence of this in your posts, and none of you have supported your point with any specific facts.

Therefore, there IS no border crisis.

There's just a bunch of angry people who have focused their anger on people who look different than they do.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:08 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
None of you arguing for the border wall have proven to me that there even is a "border crisis". None of you have made more than one point supporting the existence of this in your posts, and none of you have supported your point with any specific facts.

Therefore, there IS no border crisis.

There's just a bunch of angry people who have focused their anger on people who look different than they do.

We've had a border crisis for decades now obviously because we have at least 11 million people here illegally most who jumped our southern border. I have provided links proving how the good walls work and how they are cost effective. Did you miss them?

We have millions of citizens with all kinds of different looks so what are you talking about? This isn't about looks it's about our laws and the rights and needs of our own citizens.

Old 05-21-2018, 05:47 PM

2,662 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's those who pull the race card on this issue that lack credibility not those of us who point out their usage of it. You aren't very well informed if you aren't aware of how those of us who merely want to secure our border with a wall have been called racists among other nasty labels. Illegal alien isn't a race it's an unlawful status in our country and it's just a fact that most illegal aliens are coming through our southern border.

This issue has nothing to do with racism. This isn't about being anti-"immigrant" either this is about opposing illegal immigration. You do know the difference, don't you? Our past history of racism has nothing to do with this issue as these are illegal aliens we are talking about not citizens nor legal immigrants.
you mean for you race has nothing to do with it. For a lot of other folks it does. As I said there are plenty of non-racist reasons to support the wall. But I do object when those who support the wall, etc for non-racist reasons try to claim to speak for everyone else that supports the wall, etc and claim that racism is irrelevant to this issue. I am not accusing you of being racist...I have seen nothing to indicate that to be the case. But not everyone who supports the wall, etc shares your worldview or motivations. Racist views are still a prime motivator for many people, unfortunately. It doesn't do the country any good to deny or ignore that fact.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
you mean for you race has nothing to do with it. For a lot of other folks it does. As I said there are plenty of non-racist reasons to support the wall. But I do object when those who support the wall, etc for non-racist reasons try to claim to speak for everyone else that supports the wall, etc and claim that racism is irrelevant to this issue. I am not accusing you of being racist...I have seen nothing to indicate that to be the case. But not everyone who supports the wall, etc shares your worldview or motivations. Racist views are still a prime motivator for many people, unfortunately. It doesn't do the country any good to deny or ignore that fact.

My question would be why are you concerned about a minority of fools whose desire for the wall is based on racism? The conversation should be that it is well needed for security and economic reasons not based on what a minority of racists want or think.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:12 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
I cannot believe it matters.

All people despite their color are required to live here legally. Around 11 million or so are not doing so.

Yes, the vast majority of that 11 million are probably non-white. Well so what? That results from obvious reasons of geography, not some sinister plot. We are still obligated to deal with them no matter what their race happens to be.

They are illegal. Hiding that fact behind their race strikes me as cynical and ignoble.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:57 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,900 times
This was on the Houston news tonight. I'll share it here, it's about the MS13 gang. It's eye opening.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/ms-13-by-the-numbers

Old 05-24-2018, 06:54 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
A border wall is stupid given how many people simply drive through every day. What's more, more illegals come from Asia than central America.

A saner response would be to have a guest worker program with a limited time span, with permits issued based on the prevailing national unemployment rate. Deduct a healthy amount from the guest worker's paycheck and put it in escrow, collectible only upon the worker's return to his or her country of origin.

Then heavily fine or even jail employers who hire illegals.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
A border wall is stupid given how many people simply drive through every day. What's more, more illegals come from Asia than central America.

A saner response would be to have a guest worker program with a limited time span, with permits issued based on the prevailing national unemployment rate. Deduct a healthy amount from the guest worker's paycheck and put it in escrow, collectible only upon the worker's return to his or her country of origin.

Then heavily fine or even jail employers who hire illegals.

There are just as many border jumpers as there are people driving over our border legally or illegally. Those coming from Asia are usually flying in here on visas so no a wall won't stop them but it will deter border jumpers. We need to address all methods of illegal entry along with the visa over stayers.

We already have several guest worker programs. Those coming here illegally we don't need so why would we expand on our guest workers programs to accommodate them?

I do agree that we should go after the employers but that is only a part of the solution. Not all illegals are coming here to work some are criminals and terrorists. Unless we also deny those seeking work birthright citizenship for their kids they will still come and can live off of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates