Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 06:03 AM

251 posts, read 341,396 times

Advertisements

This thread reminds me of the an internet meme I saw recently. It had a Danish (from Denmark) teacher talk about how in Denmark you can live and raise a familly on a teacher salary and still have a house and car and how that was the real american dream that no longer exists in the US. I was looking at it thinking "yeah but you still have to live in Denmark though". No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 06:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnCarolinaGrl View Post
I have been in packed cities, and rural towns/villages. I have seen coastal and mountains. The people are not all the same even within cities, much less the entire continent.
And that makes it different from America?

Old 07-01-2014, 07:10 AM

267 posts, read 311,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Do Americans envy the European lifestyle?

Why The European Lifestyle Has Us Envious

I don't see anything about their lifestyle that I envy, I never have. Europeans is just different. Being different doesn't always make something better..

Old 07-01-2014, 07:34 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnCarolinaGrl View Post
I really don't understand this thread. For starters the US is a country, and you are trying to compare it to an entire continent. ??

Also I really don't understand what you mean by 'european lifestyle'. I've been to many countries in Europe, and lived in one for three years.

There is such a difference in not only the different countries I went to, but also within the countries themselves. I have been in packed cities, and rural towns/villages. I have seen coastal and mountains. The people are not all the same even within cities, much less the entire continent.

So which european lifestyle are you talking about? You need to really break it down a lot further than that.

I saw a thread like this about the American lifestyle. Same goes for that. There is no American lifestyle because everywhere is so different. The people are so different.

Both have hundreds of millions of people, different languages, different weather, different geography, different customs, etc....

I just don't see how that question could ever be answered.
Simple.

The European lifestyle is walking to the boulangerie for freshly baked bread. It's taking your time to enjoy the finer things in life. It's discussing the writings of Sartre and Molière over a glass of wine at a neighborhood cafe. It's traveling across metro areas on trams and in high speed trains. It's being able to pursue your heart's desire without worrying about health insurance (or a lack thereof). It's savoring the beauty of this thing called life.

The American lifestyle is driving your gas guzzling SUV to Walmart. And it's working 45 hours per week to afford the monster mortgage on a McMansion. Furthermore, you have to stay at the 45 hour per week job just to keep health benefits.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 07-01-2014 at 07:48 AM..

Old 07-01-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
To say immigrants are European rejects is a ridiculous statement and it actually shows ignorance. Perhaps a little education on the subject would help.
It's true. 99% of the Europeans who came here were poor and low status in their home countries. The nobles and the gentry stayed in Europe. That's why America has such an inferiority complex when it comes to Europe. We look at their history, culture, their castles, etc. and pine for it all. American aristocrats used to imitate British accents.

Aristocratic American (Mrs. Roosevelt's Accent) | Dialect Blog

And of course, Jacqueline Kennedy was widely admired for her elegance, partly owing to the fact she spoke fluent French and actually had direct lineage to French aristocracy. Had she had direct lineage to Scots-Irish Alabamans, it's unlikely she would have been so admired.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:16 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
It's true. 99% of the Europeans who came here were poor and low status in their home countries. The nobles and the gentry stayed in Europe. That's why America has such an inferiority complex when it comes to Europe. We look at their history, culture, their castles, etc. and pine for it all. American aristocrats used to imitate British accents.
Few were high status, but I think many middle-class types did immigrant. As for those who admire Europe, 100-150 the differences between Europe and the US weren't the same. At least you wouldn't get liberals admiring their social welfare state.

Quote:
And of course, Jacqueline Kennedy was widely admired for her elegance, partly owing to the fact she spoke fluent French and actually had direct lineage to French aristocracy. Had she had direct lineage to Scots-Irish Alabamans, it's unlikely she would have been so admired.
Did most people know Jacqueline Kennedy had French ancestry?

Old 07-01-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Did most people know Jacqueline Kennedy had French ancestry?
Her name was Jacqueline Lee Bouvier Kennedy. That was probably a give away. There's also the fact that she regularly gave interviews in French.

Jacqueline Kennedy speaks French! - YouTube

Rose Kennedy also spoke fluent French as that was part of a proper lady's schooling back then.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:49 AM

863 posts, read 795,945 times
Quote:
Simple.

The European lifestyle is walking to the boulangerie for freshly baked bread. It's taking your time to enjoy the finer things in life. It's discussing the writings of Sartre and Molière over a glass of wine at a neighborhood cafe. It's traveling across metro areas on trams and in high speed trains. It's being able to pursue your heart's desire without worrying about health insurance (or a lack thereof). It's savoring the beauty of this thing called life.

The American lifestyle is driving your gas guzzling SUV to Walmart. And it's working 45 hours per week to afford the monster mortgage on a McMansion. Furthermore, you have to stay at the 45 hour per week job just to keep health benefits.
Best post yet, and this from an American who spent 15 years in Europe. Lots of wonderful things about the US, but there really is no comparison between the two when it comes to lifestyle. These type threads always take me back too, in my opinion, the key difference between the two.

Americans, for the most part, live to work, whereas, our European counterparts work to live.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:26 AM

506 posts, read 326,808 times
So THIS is how we want our kids to be.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 07-01-2014 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Generally in Great Debates 1-2 sentence posts are not allowed but since this thread was moved to here it will remain.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:42 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

This thread was moved here from another forum. From this point on all posts must meet Great Debates standards. If you are unaware of the guidelines please read them in the stickies on the thread page.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates