Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 07:16 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
Should We Abolish The (50) State ...Government(s)?
Maybe so.

But we can sure do something far more aggressive about aligning the 50 separate sets of laws
and civil/criminal legal process that we suffer through in the several States. What differences that
do exist in the separate State Codes are rather modest and usually different only in phrasing.
The intent of almost all of the laws (ordinary or arcane) are almost all completely the same.

Once that bit of common sense is achieved we can finally deal with the tougher ones.

These last six or ten hot button social issues can be resolved in an afternoon without the distraction
of being able to pretend that the people or interests of State X are really different than those of State Y.
(They aren't.)

The late 18th Century anachronism we have now almost made good sense in 1776 and 1787.
Almost. But whatever practical advantages it once may have had all expired a century ago.
It is past time to move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 07:44 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
Quote:
My personal opinion will never vary from the answer of 'Yes' primarily due to my extremely negative experiences with dealing with all levels of government (County, State and Federal).

I believe that using the Non-Agression Principle as the core fundamental principle of living along with the elimination of religious beliefs that we could easily succeed in becoming the first Anarcho-Capitalistic country, what do you guys think or believe?
So basically you want corporations to rule everything? No thank you. The market without a government to keep it in check would lead either to a drastic reduction in living standards and peace, or to a totalitarian corporate plutocracy very similar to the "New World Order" many people believe is in the work.

Getting rid of the government would actually increase the influence of religion since so much charity is religious in nature and people would rely more on charity, and the decline in social stability would increase the emotional appeal of faith.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:42 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
I would add that arrogance of unelected bureaucrats is one of the most outrageous parts of government.

The very idea that Congress could force people to abide by the ACA while exempting not only themselves, but all their staff members, is an insult to anyone's intelligence or sense of dignity. Perhaps there are those who feel the ACA is a step in the right direction...but don't force the productively employed to participate in it, while exempting the "elites". What's good for the goose, and all that.

This whole country was founded on the principle that there would be "no more kings", yet the arrogance and hubris of elected and unelected "officials" is mind-boggling.

So yes, I agree that we need "a bit of a trim" all over the head, not just in front!

Old 10-12-2014, 11:02 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times
Quote:
My personal opinion will never vary from the answer of 'Yes' primarily due to my extremely negative experiences with dealing with all levels of government (County, State and Federal).

I believe that using the Non-Agression Principle as the core fundamental principle of living along with the elimination of religious beliefs that we could easily succeed in becoming the first Anarcho-Capitalistic country, what do you guys think or believe?
Abolish? No, government has some purpose. That being said, government on all levels has become a monster that now has become our master instead of our servant.

Government needs to be reduced by 80% across the board to restore balance to our economy and to our freedoms.

The problem is that at this point it will take a major revolution to accomplish that.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:34 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
If you want to get rid of big government you have to start with getting the lobbyists of big corporations OUT of Washington. The total interests of our congress seems to be to please big corporations and businesses and to hell with the people. Your vote this fall will only put most of the same representatives back into office for more of the same. Any politician representing “the voter” will avoid taking money from businesses and special interest groups. One voter, one vote and no more corporate lobbying for special favors if you want “change”.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:20 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Silly arguments that can only be made because we have an ordered government.

Look back at history. We had the absence of government once and look what happened. People wanted and needed government.

No government? Wait until your children who are playing on your front lawn get run over because some texting, drunk fool is driving 90+ mph down your residential street.
......and get a severe chemical burn due to a seriously hazardous chemical in the lawn fertilizer because people don't think we need government regulations.

Old 10-12-2014, 04:00 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:

I think the federal government has outlived it usefulness in all facets except the military and protection from foreign enemies. I think state and county governments are still essential and would function much better if most of the tax revenue was not funneled off to the feds and was either used for local issues or returned to the taxpayers.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:30 PM

168 posts, read 198,916 times
We should abolish the student government.
Sick of that popularity contest, promising pizza every day in the lunch room and delivering cold tater tots

Old 10-13-2014, 10:11 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,675,878 times
What is evident here is the feeling that government is the problem, not necessarily corruption, but simply the notion that ANY formal ruling body is a bad thing. I've always seen these types of threads as one more log on the fires of American discontent, with little constructive intent. Most of the responding posts serve to support a destruction of government with little idea of how to end the corruption in government which IS the problem.

This shows how ripe America is for a simpleminded plan for the dismantling of government, and even more disturbing is the idea that we don't need to think this through to a possible better conclusion, no, the politicians will do this for us, we just need to elect the "right" person, or party in order to accomplish this dismantling, and the backers of this plan will be in the form of corporate America, you know, those guys that fixed things up in 2008. So, I guess we've decided that we'll allow government to fail while giving our treasury over to those who have deemed themselves, "too big to fail"....

Old 10-13-2014, 11:07 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
I hate all this state an dfederal crap.
part of the beach here in NY is state owned the other is federal owned. give me a break.

pick one and let it be one.
why do we need federal bs and state bs.
so we can have more taxes taken out.
anyone that thinks we live in a free country is mistaken, we pay through the nose to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates