Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 12:10 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
I agree with the concept you bring up.
The addressing people in certain ways around the world is simply a custom for each region though.

Each region in the world has set their own customs to recognize a position, age, etc. Regardless of the views of some people that society does go along with such customs because that society feels they are entitled to such form of respect.

To YOU first names creates a friendly atmosphere but it is no different if someone believes otherwise and that person can be as correct as you are, different points of view. Different ways to skin a cat? Take care.
Indeed customs are different in different parts of the world and people like what they are used to. My comment was against those that believe that not using a title means that you are not being respectful but it does depend on the custom of the area (and customs change, so in a generation or two the use of titles in the US might be entirely different) but in any case, respecting the customs of the local culture is a good thing to do so use titles in the US and use first names in Finland and use whatever local custom dictates in various other countries in the world.

That said, having experienced both customs, I have to say that I much prefer using first names and find it strange when adults don't use first names with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 07:13 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
As I find it strange when we are talking about using first names for elementary school teachers yet "Professor" for the teachers of adults

Old 11-20-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
As I find it strange when we are talking about using first names for elementary school teachers yet "Professor" for the teachers of adults
Well I don't know about you but I called the majority of my university lecturers and teachers by their first names.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:42 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inged View Post
Why do we use titles when referring to teachers?

Is it just to give them some formal version of respect since they tend to be incompetent to start out with?

I think it would be much better for teachers to use first names when teaching a class. It would be much easier for the students to connect with the teacher than hiding behind a useless title.

I don't think using a title helps much in class control. I've seen really terrible managers of class control still have a title.

Are they allowed to use their first name if they wish?

What I'm asking basically is have teachers always used titles while teaching or is there some strange research that makes some claim?

You must be kidding. Strange research? What are you talking about? As a number of other posters have noted, it's [gasp!] respectful for a child to refer to an adult using those titles with the last (or first, for earlier grades) names. Whether they're known to the child has nothing to do with it.

BTW, the same goes for strangers who call me by my first name. I received a business phone call the other day from someone I'd never met, who continued to call me "Mary." I interrupted her with a confused, "I'm sorry, do I know you?" (DH was laughing in the background)

Give me a break with all of this informality all of the time.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:04 AM

912 posts, read 1,132,517 times
There needs to be boundaries in a classroom. The teacher is there to teach, not to make friends. Being friends with the students will alter the psyche of the teacher when it comes to grading and evaluating. You are more likely to let a friend slide when they get things wrong, then you are with someone who is just a student. Calling a teacher Mr./Mrs./Ms. helps establish boundaries between teachers and students, especially at a young age.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:37 AM

305 posts, read 282,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
There needs to be boundaries in a classroom. The teacher is there to teach, not to make friends. Being friends with the students will alter the psyche of the teacher when it comes to grading and evaluating. You are more likely to let a friend slide when they get things wrong, then you are with someone who is just a student. Calling a teacher Mr./Mrs./Ms. helps establish boundaries between teachers and students, especially at a young age.

That might be true for another student, but I think an adult should be able to make the difference.

If they can't, they are still going to let the well behaved student slide when they get things wrong and grade the troublemaker harder anyway.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:05 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
A title is a way to show respect to someone who is teaching you something.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:57 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
That said, having experienced both customs, I have to say that I much prefer using first names and find it strange when adults don't use first names with each other.
In the end it is a matter of preference as others may say otherwise. I reiterate that the OP seems to have an agenda (disdain?) towards teachers in the original message. I do not think the OP truly wanted to discuss the forms of respect from a objective angle once the teachers put down comment was read. Take care.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
In the end it is a matter of preference as others may say otherwise. I reiterate that the OP seems to have an agenda (disdain?) towards teachers in the original message. I do not think the OP truly wanted to discuss the forms of respect from a objective angle once the teachers put down comment was read. Take care.
I just ignored that part of the OP, the issue of using titles versus not using them is interesting in itself. Like you said, it is a matter of preference yet many people in this thread think that the only right way is to use titles. Interesting how strongly people can believe that their own particular cultural customs are the only right way to do things.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:38 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I just ignored that part of the OP, the issue of using titles versus not using them is interesting in itself. Like you said, it is a matter of preference yet many people in this thread think that the only right way is to use titles. Interesting how strongly people can believe that their own particular cultural customs are the only right way to do things.
It is interesting. I teach organizational behavior at a local university. I bring up topics of similar nature in the class. After the students have heated group discussions I point out how they are reacting; I tell them how their "my way/view or the highway" does affect their work relationships. It is difficult for people to be open minded as much as they claim or honestly believe they are. I emphasize critical thinking and they have difficult time to think critically. However, at the end of the class they like I pushed them to the limits regarding their own views. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates