Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 02:05 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I always like that saying, if you don't like it then leave. why not if we don't like it, why not just make it better, why does everybody have to leave, its like shoot the messenger because he had bad news.
It's the criticizers, the naggers, the whiners whom we owe a better world to. IMO, those that never criticize their country are those that should leave it!

I don't think we ever were the greatest country on earth. Think back to the 1800's, early 1900's, a good many Americans, with an average worker's lifespan at 40, were still working a 6-day/12-hour work week, which ended in 1933 with a mandated 40-hour work week. Thank you Franklin Roosevelt! And more thanks to unemployment/disability benefits, unknown until then! And? If it hadn't been for Roosevelt? Would we still be working 72 hours a week?

The U.S., until its dying breath, will always be the greatest cradle of capitalism that ever existed on this planet, and it's too bad we must wait for excesses to bring reforms/changes. As Oscar Wilde would say: Nothing succeeds like excess!

And look what happened in Russia with all their excesses!! And those driven out, with their bags of stolen loot, where did they run to, and were welcomed with open arms? And today, it's still happening! Running to Miami with their bags of stolen loot, from Latin America, or the Chinese running to California. Why? Because they know, all too well, the excesses of capitalism will always be tolerated/accepted in the greatest country on earth!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-18-2014 at 02:13 AM.. Reason: No rude icons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 02:51 AM

107 posts, read 133,587 times
There is no such thing as a 'best country'. There's no 'worst' either. I have never understood America's obsession with being number one. Who cares? It's not a competition and it's an extremely stupid way of viewing the world anyway. My identity does not revolve around what country I'm from.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:09 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
Great original post, can't disagree with anything you said.

First of all, i would say that anyone who is comparing America to other countries, you can stop doing that now. Compare America to what America SHOULD BE. You can't call yourself the greatest country if you have so many holes to fill.

America is too much of a police state, you have "authority figures" running wild with no accountability, you have politicians who act as if its illegal to tell the truth, they lie to you to get votes and after they're elected, all they do is change laws and make rules to help big business at the expense of the everyday joe.

I was talking to someone the other day about a relative of mine who graduated a decent college with honors back in the 80s and when she graduated, she got a job right away making 25k and we all Oo'd and Aah'd and now, if you're not making at least 75k (and single w no kids to support) you're basically living paycheck to paycheck.

There's a LOT to fix and yet, nobody seems to have any urgency to fix it.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:34 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Great original post, can't disagree with anything you said.

First of all, i would say that anyone who is comparing America to other countries, you can stop doing that now. Compare America to what America SHOULD BE. You can't call yourself the greatest country if you have so many holes to fill.

America is too much of a police state, you have "authority figures" running wild with no accountability, you have politicians who act as if its illegal to tell the truth, they lie to you to get votes and after they're elected, all they do is change laws and make rules to help big business at the expense of the everyday joe.

I was talking to someone the other day about a relative of mine who graduated a decent college with honors back in the 80s and when she graduated, she got a job right away making 25k and we all Oo'd and Aah'd and now, if you're not making at least 75k (and single w no kids to support) you're basically living paycheck to paycheck.

There's a LOT to fix and yet, nobody seems to have any urgency to fix it.
I only read the OP, then saw your post after posting mine. If you agree with everything in his OP then you and I obviously disagree as the conclusions he draws which are naive at best.

I would also note that your belief that a single guy making anything less than $75k is living paycheck by paycheck, you must have some deep seeded spending issues.

So long as you are not a materialistic "keeping up with the Joneses" type of guy, you can get by with a lot less. Granted if you live in a huge and popular city, you will pay through the nose for many things. Yet I know entire families that make far less than $75k, and have a rich life, and no financial troubles. Sure they drive older used cars, are practical in their discretionary spending, etc., but they are raising good kids, have a roof over their heads, enjoy their lives, and are living the American dream.
Then again they are not judging themselves by TV shows like "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous". While it might be nice to own oceanfront property, have boats, fancy cars and live like a rock star, they instead enjoy family, friends, and some simpler things in life. As long as they are healthy and happy, they are not suffering from envy for those lost souls that are chasing the wrong lifestyle to make them happy.

`

Old 11-18-2014, 09:18 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Years ago, Americas mantra what is was the greatest country on earth. I agree but only if you are rich and have connections. If you are an average joe or poor, America is probably the worst westernized country you would want to live in.

Here are reasons why:
Sorry dude, but you can't just go and list everything you perceive as wrong with the U.S. and then not name one other country you think it better.

If you think we're not "the greatest" then you have to name the country you think is the greatest, and why.

I could refute your assertions point by point, but that would be, well, pointless because you have no skin in the game.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:16 AM

658 posts, read 847,975 times
I think that when you see retirees desiring to be expats in other countries (typically third world) that's a clue that America is not all that it's cracked up to.

I know plenty of young and old expats and they come back to America from time to time, just to visit family, but when I ask if they are moving back, the answer is primarily no.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:43 PM

657 posts, read 802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
I think that when you see retirees desiring to be expats in other countries (typically third world) that's a clue that America is not all that it's cracked up to.

I know plenty of young and old expats and they come back to America from time to time, just to visit family, but when I ask if they are moving back, the answer is primarily no.
To be fair, this fact is true for a lot of first world countries. What you mentioned above, is not unheard of here in Britain, and I'm sure other countries too.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:39 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times
As I stated in my earlier post, the United States was and still is an experiment, this was the first time that a government was founded by the people, for the people. It was even debated as to whether to even have a President because of the potential of abuse. No other country at the time of the founding of the United States gave so much power to its citizens, so yes, this was the great experiment. Whether if flourished or floundered rest square upon the citizens of this country. Today we have become a nation of haves and have nots, bickering between ours selves as to what our government can give us, meanwhile our apathy is tearing this country apart. I ask, how many of you even voted in this past election cycle? At least we have the right to choose our government, many countries do not. How many people do you see fleeing the United States, is it 1000's a day, for we have that many people trying to get into this country a day. If this country is so bad as some of you paint it why do we have this problem and not the other way around? You don't have a line at the border of people trying to escape the United States. This country isn't perfect, but it sure beats the alternative.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:51 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I always like that saying, if you don't like it then leave. why not if we don't like it, why not just make it better, why does everybody have to leave, its like shoot the messenger because he had bad news.
Exactly. Why did Germany create and orchestrate the robot now on a moving comet? What happened to this country? In a short period of time innovation is gone, and the country has simply declined. Why is that? The only "innovative" creations by America are tiny changes to our pharmaceuticals so the drugs can be sold under a new costly patent. Whatever happened to inventors like the man who invented penicillin???

Old 11-18-2014, 10:17 PM

635 posts, read 784,539 times
Default Many people to dumb to stay alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Wouldn't it being "worse in other places" directly play into us being "the greatest country in the world"?

No one said we were the worst, nor even one of the worst, nor even in the bottom half or third. But we could be so much better, easily.

Your last few sentences allude to a huge problem the culture in this country has. The irrational fear of the SHTF. In a nutshell, "go live in a house in the middle of nowhere, get to know your *presumably* equally as nutty neighbors, stockpile food and water, grab and hold onto your gun, and either wait for the SHTF, or for god to come". Unless there's a tornado with less guns than you on its way, none of this is necessary.

Still trying to decipher your comment on Japan.
Every country thinks they are the best. Americans make the mistake of thinking everyone agrees with them. And Japan. Its been in a mess with borrowing and QE crap like the u.s. And it hasn't gotten them anywhere.
Having food and water and a gun could be done living anywhere. Yeah i wish us all well in the next few years.
Keep on making fun of God. Im' sure that will work out for you. Oh and its not a fear. Its being smart enough to be prepared. Don't have any food or water in your place. And don't bother to buy one gun that could save your life. The cop's will show up eventually. And they have body bags. For people who couldn't be bothered to do something to help them survive. I was offering you some heart felt advice, You call me a nut. Well good luck!
I almost forgot. Im kinda got a lot on my mind. What would help bring back the country to a state of being great. A dam rebellion. The folks in Washington should be marched out and told never to return. The whole three branches are cesspools of corruption. Run by phschopaths. I live to far away. But one day it will happen. Term limits.
We need people who want to help the country serving as representatives. Not people who want to further their own agenda at the cost of the people. Washingtons thinking is backwards. We need a third party that agrees with the constitution. A lot of changes about limiting the influence of money. The terrible deals made on trade that help out other countrys more than our own. And line the pockets of a small few. Yes, Im a pretty honest person with some values. The country needs God. Communists and liberals are helping destroy the country.
You think im wrong, Just look around. The effort to take God out of everyones lives. Now people are afraid to let kids play outside. People are going crazy. Society is sick. I vote Libertarian. Ron Paul was about the only old fashioned statesman i have heard in a while. A veteran who is anti war. A man who has had a job. A freedom loving man who believed in the constitution. He should be the president. If he were president we wouldnt be in any wars and would have closed a lot of military bases overseas. Sorry for rambling.
I almost wasnt going to send this. The country is seriously messed up. It well take years to fix and it wont be the same. I see very tough bad times coming. An economic disaster is about a sure thing. Don't go saying nobody warned you.I like this site. Look at it for a week. TheBurningPlatform.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-19-2014 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: Edited quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates