Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 09:20 AM

754 posts, read 1,743,291 times

Advertisements

Is indicative of what the world thinks of the U.S.?

I am watching the Unity march attended by leaders of many countries and by current estimates of at least a million people, and cant help wondering why was there not something similar after 9/11 here in the U.S.? Do you believe that is indicative of the global sentiment about America and Americans? Why did this tragedy in France and not the countless before in other counties around the world inspire this kind of display? Is this really more of a "game changer" than other attacks?

Last edited by AnalyzeThis; 01-11-2015 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 09:34 AM

24,718 posts, read 17,456,925 times
With the scale of the 9/11 attacks I think people were nervous to enmass in one big group. Do you remember they stopped sporting games etc..
I bet half of the world had never even heard of the middle east countries were the 9/11 hijackers came from before the attacks. The world was shocked by the attack and may have finally reached a tipping point with the latest attacks in Paris. Perhaps it is time to stop the PC games and call it what it is and go after those responsible. It was not the average muslim person who did this but a group of extremist terrorist idiots in the name of islam.
The world should be on notice that extremist activity from any group is not to be tolerated. It should be watched carefully. I don't know why NYC disbanned its terrorist task force. I guess it is politics.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:41 AM

11,109 posts, read 9,868,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post

I am watching the Unity march attended by leaders of many countries and by current estimates of at least a million people, and cant help wondering why was there not something similar after 9/11 here in the U.S.? Do you believe that is indicative of the global sentiment about America and Americans? Why did this tragedy in France and not the countless before in other counties around the world inspire this kind of display? Is this really more of a "game changer" than other attacks?
No.

There's was a moumental show of international unity after the attacks of September 11, 2001. The fact that this wasn't expressed in a march means nothing.

Beyond that, the fact that world leaders are free to travel to Paris to march clearly indicates that this is not the game-changer that was 09/11/01. In the days and weeks after that, leaders across the globe were extremely preoccupied with substantive proaction to the possibility of more attacks, as well as the looming war in Aghanistan - which everyone, especially the dozens of nations that would participate, knew was coming.

If anything, the current feeling of sympathy for, and solidarity with, France is... well...

Quote:
The global reaction in some ways mirrors the outpouring of support after the September 11, 2001 attacks in the United States, when French newspaper "Le Monde" announced on its front page "Today, we are all Americans." World leaders condemned the 9/11 attacks and offered aid, while mourners piled flowers at US embassies and Buckingham Palace played the US national anthem at the changing of the guard.
http://news.yahoo.com/european-leaders-show-solidarity-paris-attacks-rally-234826972.html

Old 01-11-2015, 10:17 AM

15,953 posts, read 12,355,255 times
Radical Islam seems to be something the entire world can have as a common enemy to bring people together.. sometimes that can be a good thing.. whether or not it's being staged or not is another matter. Our tangled relationship with Israel over the years has been a source of tension with much of the world... but I won't get into that here...

The internet helps bring us together.. people around the world being able to post on forums like this one and get more truth that what you find in the MSM...

Old 01-11-2015, 10:35 AM

You all bring up some good points in that I think 9/11 was such a shock to the world that so many (including us in America) just did not know how to immediately feel and react. There was definitely a feeling of not being safe. I don't disagree that we received alot of global support but I am thinking about the different message that it sends that leaders from places like Palestine, Israel, Turkey, etc. would physically show up in an open forum to show support for the Parisians. I liken the difference to those who privately condemn certain acts in their homes or amongst their friends versus those who go out and make a public show, I think the public show sends a specific message to the masses that actions behind close doors don't. I think it is about perception.

My feeling is that when 9/11 happened there was a still a NIMBY mentality. I think so many were afraid of an attack of that scale on their lands that while they offered condolesences and their governments joined with ours to launch counter-attacks, I wonder if the private sentiment was more like "they had it coming" or "glad it wasn't here", I seem to recall alot of European leaders taking heat from their citizens for supporting us in those efforts (though admittedly I believe that was more related to the Iraq war than the Afghanistan war).

Old 01-11-2015, 10:39 AM

Also, it is interesting that I am starting to see alot of the news outlets pick up stories highlighting that our President or Secretary Kerry did not attend (frankly, not that I would expect them too) but "British Prime Minister David Cameron, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov were among those who attended, along with religious leaders."

In our defense, our Ambassador to France did attend.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:49 AM

15,953 posts, read 12,355,255 times
Although I no longer care and hardly bring the topic up, there's definite evidence 9/11 was an inside job.. they had the whole script for the story written out ahead of time, right down to the pulling of building 7 and finding the terrorist passports which happened to survive both the plane crash and the destruction of the towers lying in the rubble. They literally had the entire story of 9/11 presented that same evening.. I remember it clearly... in an age where it takes years to even get a court appearance much less investigate crimes they had it all solved in 12 hours. I still believe they wired those buildings with explosives ahead of time as well and brought them down that way. All the proof I needed the media is indeed controlled by the banking cartel.. but I don't really care. Life went on, we are doing fine.... and I could be wrong... but history is written by the victors/media and they deal with alternate theories with silence, so don't expect much revisionism...

Old 01-11-2015, 12:36 PM

5,236 posts, read 4,702,066 times
There is the world, and there is the world of media. Confusing the two has got us in a confused state often enough. Reading the posts on CD over the years I see a ton of thread starters originating from a posted link to some "news" event, then the OP wants to have us chime in on the inanity posited therein.

People here are struggling to find a line that runs from "terrorism" to the bigger picture of world politics. Reading the recent history of the middle east and the fact of our military presence there as it relates to the longer history of that region and it's people should be our first clue. Oil, that glaring Elephant in the room is another.

We saw plenty of global solidarity in our grief and mourning over 911, the fact that many wanted no part of American foreign policy with regard to the entire Kuwait/Saddam debacle wasn't much of a surprise..

Old 01-12-2015, 03:19 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,694,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post

How much do you remember about how people outside the US reacted to 9/11?

I was at high school when that happened, and a couple of days afterwards the whole school came outside for a two minutes' silence. A week or two later a book of condolence got passed round each class and then sent to the American ambassador in London. I think the majority of the school would have written something in it, certainly did in my class at least. If anything that show of grief seemed a bit excessive and meaningless to me at the time, considering nobody I knew had any kind of personal connection with the attacks.

We had one boy try to make a joke out of it the day after it had happened by asking if anybody had seen that film on TV last night with those buildings being knocked down, and he just got told to shut up straight away, so there certainly was a fair amount of genuine shock and anger at what had happened. There were actually more British people killed on 9/11 than in any other terrorist attack before or since, even the 7/7 attacks in London a few years later, so it did feel like it involved us as well.

Last edited by ben86; 01-12-2015 at 03:38 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 10:59 AM

5,205 posts, read 4,695,000 times
I hate to be cynical but how does that Unity march help stop terrorism? Perhaps it may even have the opposite effect. If I were a loser sitting at home hating my place in the world, perhaps seeing how much attention terrorism garners would convince me to plan something similar. I read the most accurate assessment of terrorism years ago before even 9/11. You can't fight an ideology. It has no borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates