Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 06:51 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times

Advertisements

I think we should speak to the sun and convince it to remain lighter for longer periods of time year round. There is no need for these shortened daylight hours in winter.

I like my daylight in the late evening.

It's ONE hour....go to bed earlier tonight and wham...back on schedule. Easy peezy.

I for one, really appreciated DST this morning. It's one of the few mornings of the year when my cats do not wake me early in the day. In fact, they are not even begging tonight yet. It's awesome!

Old 03-08-2015, 08:08 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
I like it. Where I live, in MD, we have considerably longer days in the summer then in the winter. Yes, moving the time ahead does not add to the hours of actual daylight but it sure adds to the hours of daylight that I encounter. I couldn't care less abou a sun rising high and bright at 4 in the morning because unless I'm fishing I'm going to be sleeping then. So I like having it not get dark until 8 or 9 at night and being able to enjoy the day. Now, down in the little lattitudes it's not needed as the hours of sunlight don't change too drastically as it does here.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:45 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,097,634 times
I am so against this archaic useless practice. I used to call it daylight wasting time. But now I'm calling it daylight manipulation time. Cause that is all they are doing is manipulating time. It only feels like 9:43 PM to me even though my clocks say otherwise. I miss Arizona because they do not celebrate daylight manipulation time. One time year round and we are good to go. I for one would rather just keep one time and call it good. I have hear so many arguments, keep it,, get rid of it. Some people say advance clocks 1/2 hour and call it good. I was out running errands this afternoon and my clock on my car had not been changed and then I realized oh **** it is an hour later. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I wish more stand would follow Arizona's lead and stay on one time year round. I will not sleep well and will feel like the time is always wrong now because my body is telling me otherwise. Then come November I will be all jacked up again. Yippie!

Old 03-08-2015, 09:14 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Another reason we don't do it here in Arizona is because a large portion of outdoor work get's done between 6AM and 2PM in the summer. It's a lot cooler at 6-7AM and by 2PM it's 100 degrees. By 4:30, it's 110. Only people of recent Hispanic heritage are willing to work outdoors when it's 110. Here, you can count on 110 degrees many if not most of the days, from early June to end of August at least.
Many times on construction sites you'll see the workers pounding away at 7AM when you're on your way to your air conditioned office job. By 2PM the site is dead.
In short, a lot of the economy is generated between 7AM and 2PM in Arizona, due to heat. Daylight savings would alter that model.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:36 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Why in the hell does anybody need the government to change time 1 hour to function properly or better?
If it's dark early or later .... how about you wake up or go to sleep earlier/later on your own

Old 03-08-2015, 09:52 PM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
If you lived in a place where it is observed, hopefully you changed your clock last night. By springing forward, you might have lost an hour of sleep in the process. But that will be remedied in the fall when you change back.

Do you like changing the clock twice a year? Are you a fan of the time adjustments we make in spring and fall, or would you rather have one consistent time all year round?

I am against the extra hour of sunlight. That's what is causing all the global warming you see.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:55 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Feel free to post those studies that say "Losing one hour of sleep causes changes to us and is damaging".

The studies actually support that more time in natural light and less time in artificial light is better. Below are just three, but Googling "natural light health benefits" will bring up hundreds of sources.

The Link Between Light and Health | NBBJ
Beyond the Bulbs - In Praise of Natural Light - NYTimes.com
Natural Light In The Office Boosts Health : Northwestern University News

Other known benefits are it makes better use of natural daylight in general, it conserves energy otherwise spent on artificial light and it leads to a decrease road accidents by making sure roads are naturally lit during the hours with most traffic. Here are some of those links.

http://www.harristechnical.com/articles/ambient.pdf
STATISTICAL EVALUATION OF TRAFFIC ACCIDENT SEVERITY - Transport Research International Documentation - TRID
http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811059.PDF

Next.
Fair enough. Then KEEP it the standard. There's no need to dick people around back and forth every year.

Not even farmers like it. They'll tell you, cows don't observe DST. Cows don't give a damn.

(Very cranky today because I worked today, and had only 3 hrs sleep)

Old 03-08-2015, 10:09 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
The farm animals are also very affected by this.
I didn't know that we've been able to breed farm animals that know the clock time. What will they think of next?

Old 03-08-2015, 10:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
I like it, can't wait for baseball to start, with first few innings played with natural light..at night.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I like daylight saving time if I had to choose. Being retired I will just shift appointment times etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates