Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:45 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
States like these have very limited access to family planning. The idiots would be your red state leaders. When you put heavy restrictions on abortions, clinics like Planned Parenthood shut down. Currently there is only one location in the entire state of South Dakota. A law that passed in Texas shut down all but 7 locations in the entire state (thankfully that one was overturned). The ironic thing is that only 3% of Planned Parenthood's services are performing abortions and their providing of free or low cost birth control to poor women actually prevents pregnancy which in turn prevents abortions. If you are barely scraping by, living paycheck to paycheck, even if you can get your birth control for fee, how can you get it if your closest clinic is a 6 hour drive from your house? You would have to take money from your food budget to put gas in your car or buy a bus ticket to get there. You will have to miss a day of work, so now your next paycheck is short. Then you will have to do it all again for your follow up or to have your prescription renewed. It's not so simple or easy for poor and low income women.

You are not paying for someone to have sex. People are going to have sex regardless because sex is a BASIC HUMAN NEED. People who have regular healthy sex have better overall health. Having sex twice a week can improve everything from stress levels to heart health. If the average family has three kids and it takes the average couple three months to conceive, and has sex three times during the womans fertile phase, that means the average couple only has sex about 36 times with the purpose of having a baby. Are you only going to have sex 36 times in your entire life? Can you say that you ONLY have sex with the intention of having a baby?? No! Because sec does way more for us than create a baby. When taxes pay for birth control, they are not paying for sex, they are paying for people to not have kids.

I was talking about PUBLIC funding. Read above for explanation of sexual needs. People are going to have sex and as long as poverty exists, tax payers will need to assist others with reproductive care. Providing free birth control is much cheaper than providing care for a child.

Try taking a sex ed class in a red state. Texas is an "abstinence only" state. Texas also has the highest rate of teen moms with two or more kids. A school board in a city near where I live actually voted to rip pages out of a public school's high school biology text books because they discussed birth control and abortions. So no, in many states, kids are not learning what they need to know about sex, reproduction and pregnancy prevention.
Here is whole flaw in your argument that is getting and and paying for birth control is easier than raising a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 11:58 AM

7,027 posts, read 4,887,277 times
First of all, and I am just as guilty, why does this all seem to be on the woman? Can't men take any precautions? And if not, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
You are really making excuses for people. I have told guys I willing dump them if they don't use condoms. If you use birth control properly it will work. You need finds the right kind of birth control for you.
Fortunate for you that you're not a impressionable teenage girl, a runaway, or a prostitute. When was the last time you looked at the statistics for women who are abused? And those figures include nice women who date what they thought was a nice man - until she gets flattened by one with a temper. And ALL birth control has a failure rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
You'd be surprised! Fertility awareness methods don't work as well as the pill and they take more work and self control, but they actually work better then most people realize.
Right. That's why my Catholic neighbor lived in terror of having another child. Ever read The Vine and the Olive? There's a reason the pill was so popular in the first place. Because it did work so much better than rhythm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
It would seem the people who can't afford to fund a child need to take note of this, if they can't afford the contraception maybe they shouldn't have sex.
I'll pass that one on to all the married couples out there. I'm sure that will be popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
It's actually pretty simple, taking a pill every day or getting an implant aren't rocket science.
When it comes to oral birth control, you don't take a pill every single day. If this is as much as you know about it, well........what can I say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
I don't buy that a woman who works hard needs sex daily that badly that she becomes ill if she doesn't have it.
Sure seem to be a lot of men who think they need sex so badly they might become ill if they don't have it, though.

Quote:
Here is whole flaw in your argument that is getting and and paying for birth control is easier than raising a child.
How about cheaper? With abortion being restricted so much and with so many women who get pregnant already in poverty, the child that's born has a very high chance of being supported by the government (or taxpayers) at some point in his life.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
First of all, and I am just as guilty, why does this all seem to be on the woman? Can't men take any precautions? And if not, why not?

Fortunate for you that you're not a impressionable teenage girl, a runaway, or a prostitute. When was the last time you looked at the statistics for women who are abused? And those figures include nice women who date what they thought was a nice man - until she gets flattened by one with a temper. And ALL birth control has a failure rate.
Birth control is better than no birth control. Most guys are respect your wishes and rights. We have laws to protect from abuse.

Right. That's why my Catholic neighbor lived in terror of having another child. Ever read The Vine and the Olive? There's a reason the pill was so popular in the first place. Because it did work so much better than rhythm.

I'll pass that one on to all the married couples out there. I'm sure that will be popular.

When it comes to oral birth control, you don't take a pill every single day. If this is as much as you know about it, well........what can I say?

Sure seem to be a lot of men who think they need sex so badly they might become ill if they don't have it, though.
Most men do not have sex everyday.

How about cheaper? With abortion being restricted so much and with so many women who get pregnant already in poverty, the child that's born has a very high chance of being supported by the government (or taxpayers) at some point in his life.
That why they should get on birth control until they are stable in their lives.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:05 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times
Quote:
Just because something is easy and simple for you does not mean it is easy and simple for everyone else. You need to get outside your little box and put yourself in someone else's shoes.

Like maybe a minimum wage worker living in rural Texas. She is married, has one kid and her family is barely getting by. Her and her husband deserve a healthy sex life, right? But they can't afford another kid. She is uninsured, but qualifies for free birth control. The only clinic that offers it is a 7 hour drive from home. It takes three paychecks to save up gas money. She takes a day off of works, leaves at 7:00 am and drives 7 hours to her 2:00 appointment. She gets her prescription, now has to go to the pharmacy to fill it. By the time she leaves for home it's 5:00. She arrives home at midnight. Since she was gone all day, her husband had to leave work early to care for their child. Now both their paychecks are short which means they have to stretch their already tight budget for the next month or get behind. Suddenly that free birth control costs a hundred bucks. Probably cheaper than buying out of pocket each month, but still a blow to that month's income. To renew her prescription she has to do it all again. After taking her birth control as directed, it fails and she's pregnant. They can't afford a child, but they don't have the money for a last minute trip to the clinic 7 hours away. Even if they could scrap together gas money, an abortion is $500, money the don't have. So they have another baby and we, the tax payers help raise it all because some religious wackos and misogynist men put extreme restrictions on abortions, closing down clinics that provide so much more than that for low income women and families.

This is a common occurrence for impoverished women living in rural areas.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...LDfXaQGR3e1YzQ

Old 04-20-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Just because something is easy and simple for you does not mean it is easy and simple for everyone else. You need to get outside your little box and put yourself in someone else's shoes.

Like maybe a minimum wage worker living in rural Texas. She is married, has one kid and her family is barely getting by. Her and her husband deserve a healthy sex life, right? But they can't afford another kid. She is uninsured, but qualifies for free birth control. The only clinic that offers it is a 7 hour drive from home. It takes three paychecks to save up gas money. She takes a day off of works, leaves at 7:00 am and drives 7 hours to her 2:00 appointment. She gets her prescription, now has to go to the pharmacy to fill it. By the time she leaves for home it's 5:00. She arrives home at midnight. Since she was gone all day, her husband had to leave work early to care for their child. Now both their paychecks are short which means they have to stretch their already tight budget for the next month or get behind. Suddenly that free birth control costs a hundred bucks. Probably cheaper than buying out of pocket each month, but still a blow to that month's income. To renew her prescription she has to do it all again. After taking her birth control as directed, it fails and she's pregnant. They can't afford a child, but they don't have the money for a last minute trip to the clinic 7 hours away. Even if they could scrap together gas money, an abortion is $500, money the don't have. So they have another baby and we, the tax payers help raise it all because some religious wackos and misogynist men put extreme restrictions on abortions, closing down clinics that provide so much more than that for low income women and families.

This is a common occurrence for impoverished women living in rural areas.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...LDfXaQGR3e1YzQ
There are 39 planned parenthood in texas alone so I am calling BS.
Husband could use condoms too.
Health Centers - Texas - Planned Parenthood

Old 04-20-2015, 01:46 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times
Quote:
The law was overturned as I already stated, but it did temporarily close down all, but a few clinics in the second largest state in the US. Texas is 268,220 square miles, so even with 39 clinics, that is only one per 6,700 square miles.

New abortion clinic planned for Texas as law closes facilities

There is also the abortion desert in the mid northern area of the US. Remember, that abortion clinics offer other important services like free or low cost birth control.

Did you know there's an abortion desert in the U.S.? Allow this really 'female' puppet to show you.

Honestly I don't know why you asked the question, as you seem to have a preconceived notion in your mind that you are unwilling to change .

Old 04-20-2015, 01:58 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Well there are 254 counties in Texas, 1 health dept. for every 6.5 counties.
The problem is that humans are fallible and sex is hormone driven unbridled passion not an activity that is scheduled and prepared for, for most people anyway.

1. are you free Wednesday afternoon 4-5. check.
2. Have you missed any pills, no. check
3. Did you pick up condoms. check
4. Morning after incase there is breakage. check.

good to go.

Wait, what?
5. Your on antibiotics! Oh crap!

Even if everyone practiced responsible BC there would still be unwanted children.
But I agree, lets start sex education early and make all BC free and available including sterilization and abortion.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
The law was overturned as I already stated, but it did temporarily close down all, but a few clinics in the second largest state in the US. Texas is 268,220 square miles, so even with 39 clinics, that is only one per 6,700 square miles.

New abortion clinic planned for Texas as law closes facilities

There is also the abortion desert in the mid northern area of the US. Remember, that abortion clinics offer other important services like free or low cost birth control.

Did you know there's an abortion desert in the U.S.? Allow this really 'female' puppet to show you.

Honestly I don't know why you asked the question, as you seem to have a preconceived notion in your mind that you are unwilling to change .
I am open minded but people need taking responsibility.
There is at least two plan parenthood in each state.
What about urban areas like Chicago,Detroit or LA?
There are still a lot of single parents in those areas and there is plenty of women health center but they do not use it.
Condoms are cheap and effective way to fight pregnancy and STI and the right wing has less problem with it.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Well there are 254 counties in Texas, 1 health dept. for every 6.5 counties.
The problem is that humans are fallible and sex is hormone driven unbridled passion not an activity that is scheduled and prepared for, for most people anyway.

1. are you free Wednesday afternoon 4-5. check.
2. Have you missed any pills, no. check
3. Did you pick up condoms. check
4. Morning after incase there is breakage. check.

good to go.

Wait, what?
5. Your on antibiotics! Oh crap!

Even if everyone practiced responsible BC there would still be unwanted children.
But I agree, lets start sex education early and make all BC free and available including sterilization and abortion.
But somehow my friends and I are childfree and STI free.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:24 PM

756 posts, read 833,468 times
Post Because Of Sex:

Quote:
Why people don't like to using birth control?
It is simple solutions to unwanted children or STI.
I use birth control and have sex life.
Perhaps lack of birth controls is because people are enjoying the sex. They are enjoying the sex way too much. They spend so much time having the sex that they will almost not have enough time to breathe and then lack of oxygen in brain they conveniently do not have the time to even caring about the responsibilities and the consequences from having the sex. They do not care about the responsibilities and the consequences. They only care that they are just competing with the neighbours and it will be so indifference that eventually that game show will say their public service announce advocating Birth Controls for Humans instead of for the dogs and the cats.

Or perhaps it is because the Birth Controls is a simple solutions for the dogs and the cats? But notbody every gives the birth controls for the dogs and the cats. So why should they give them to humans if they don't give to dogs and cats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates