Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 05:33 AM

1,230 posts, read 993,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
The way we're going, the world is going to look like one apartment building in nyc, or tokyo...
I think suburbs will be the thing of the past. The American dream of owning a home and SUV already is becoming too costly for the middle class people in US now.

It will be like other countries in the world only a small number of upper class will have enough money to buy a home. Well every one else living in a condo or apartment.

My the year 2050 most large cites to buy home in US will be close to $1,000,000 and most medium cities over $500,000.

A $1,000,000 home in Taxes is what movies stars or pop stars would live in!!! A $500,000 home in LA is small starter home for middle class.

The price of homes will keep going up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
It's kinda crazy that they have the Pacific Ocean full of water but no access to the water because of salt.

There are competitions solving that issue as we speak.
There is enough food and water to go around for all. The problem is these countries are too poor to pay money to have it shipped there.That is why people today go with out water or food.

There is a major shortage of gold,copper and metal now.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:52 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,603,907 times
it was said a long time ago, if everyone had the American lifestyle we would need 2 and a half Earths!!! personally I think there are already too many people on the planet.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:01 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
So long as there are enough people here and on the rest of the planet to provide food, toys and tour guides for the 0.1% of the population that owns 99% of everything the situation will be satisfactory. What happens to the rest of the population is irrelevant.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
it was said a long time ago, if everyone had the American lifestyle we would need 2 and a half Earths!!! personally I think there are already too many people on the planet.
Yea If we all want to live house and drive a SUV. But most people don't have money for it.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:48 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Is there a point where there is too much people? What is that number? 10 billion? 20 billion? 50 billion? 100 billion?
You can fit all the people on the earth into an area the size of Texas and give each individual about 1000 square feet, if I remember correctly. And since most of those people are in families with children, you could pack em in even tighter than that since they'd live together as family units. So.... with intelligent planning, I think the Earth could sustain many many billions more and have plenty of room left for farming and ranching.

Problem is, with human beings the problems seem to multiply exponentially as the population grows.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:53 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
So long as there are enough people here and on the rest of the planet to provide food, toys and tour guides for the 0.1% of the population that owns 99% of everything the situation will be satisfactory. What happens to the rest of the population is irrelevant.
As hard as we try to wake up the masses to realize this, some of my worst nightmares involve things that might happen if they ever do. Back during the 2012 campaign, I was in a few discussions where I mentioned what I thought was overlooked in Romney's 47% comment was the 52% of the people that could be fooled to think what he wanted to do was in their best interests. Every time I said that in a group setting, someone would point out the "flaw" in my math.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:40 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
So far it's been a slow one in terms of technological achievement.

Totally and utterly false. Base your perceptions with facts and you will see a brighter future.

We have more access to information than ever before.
Computers are far less expensive and far more powerful every six to 12 months.
There are more people with access to medicine, water and education than ever before.
3 billion NEW people are expected to be online, joining the global conversation having access to information
People living in Poverty in the US still have TV, Cell Phones, Cars and air conditioning. (They just need mentorship and opportunity)

Race and Sexual orientation are limiting less people because of awareness

Technology is on a unprecedented exponential curve. Take a look at all the science in the past couple years!

Advancements in particle physics, robotics, space exploration, spaceports for civilians, private companies supplying the space station.

Be aware!!!!!!!!!!!
You realize these are catching up moves, not new technology.

Did we create an entirely new sector like aviation??

No way.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:46 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Without fossil fuels, we are already way over the maximum limit. Humanity is in for a rude awakening when peak oil happens.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:41 PM

286 posts, read 262,753 times
since over 1/4 of the world tries to "live" on less than 3k per year, 10% on less than 1k per year per person, the world obviously can't DECENTLY support more than 1/4 of what population it has NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates