Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:57 AM

381 posts, read 277,509 times

Advertisements

What if? With the confederate flag furore raging the question might bring some interesting views.As a brit i feel i am not qualified to comment on the debate but interested to hear american citizens views.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:15 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
I think the vast majority of us in the south would be against it and I am born and raised southern with ancestors who fought for the confederacy. It's a very vocal minority wishing to glorify our ugly past.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:26 AM

68 posts, read 95,037 times
I would object to a Southern secession. IMO, secession would have a negative effect on the economy.

I don't see it happening. The South consists of red states. Red states are more dependent on Federal dollars than blue states. Link: 2015.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:55 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
OP, as others have stated, very few southerners (less than one percent I'd imagine) currently support seccession. But, hypothetically speaking, if the South did want to secede, I'm not sure how the rest of the country would handle it. It would be seen as very undesirable because it would severely weaken our economy and our prominence in the world. We're a global Atlantic-Pacific power because of our size.

That said, I don't think the rest of the US would go to war to keep the South in the union. The Civil War was such a tramautic time for our nation; I don't think anyone is anxious to repeat it. The US would probably manage the crisis by offering concessions to the South. If those didn't work, they'd try to work out treaties that effectively kept the two nation's economies and defense policies under the same umbrella.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:13 AM

3,507 posts, read 764,833 times
I don't want the south to secede but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the north went away .. maybe become part of Canada ...

Old 07-22-2015, 08:43 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
What if?
What if we acknowledged that this is the 21st Century, and that the South as a "block" doesn't exist?

The motivations for secession are still the same: Economics and Enfranchisement.

For example, the $249+ Billion that Texans fork over to the former federal government to be wasted now stays in Texas.

That makes Texans $249 Billion richer.

GDP
Canada: $1,821,445,000
Australia: $1,564,419,000
State of Texas: $1,458,300,000

Without interference from the former federal government, Texas would easily surpass Canada and Australia in GDP and Standard of Living.

Realistically...

Mircea

Old 07-22-2015, 09:17 AM

381 posts, read 277,509 times
Part of my asking the question was that we here in scotland were asked last year if we wanted to get independence(secede)from the rest of britain by referendum.we voted no of course but, mark my words the question will return in the future.scotland is also dependent on westminster money(no matter how much the s.n.p. deny it)and what i think about the future is that scotland will secede with only defence and foreign policy a british matter.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:36 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
What if? With the confederate flag furore raging the question might bring some interesting views.As a brit i feel i am not qualified to comment on the debate but interested to hear american citizens views.

This whole issue was settled conclusively 150 years ago. The small angry loudmouth minority now doing everything they can to draw attention to themselves aren't significant.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:08 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times
Seceding from the union would weaken the United States as a nation and make both the North and South vulnerable to takeover by other nations. It would weaken the rest of the country and effectively cripple the South, because individual states would have to band together to decide on a president (or emperor or king, for that matter), hold elections, raise money for an army, build equipment, negotiate peace treaties, carry out trade, agree on a healthcare system, and go through the process of becoming a recognized power. It could not happen overnight, and it would be dangerous to try to operate without the political sophistication of our existing governing bodies. Plus, there's always the danger of civil war, and since our department of defense is controlled by the union, guess who would likely win (again)? Look at what happened the last time people tried this!

What I would like to see, instead, though, is the South and North sharing more ideas, the South growing more and investing more in people, art, education, and entertainment, the North relaxing a little and lowering the price of its tuition and real estate, and both sharing political ideals and rallying together to build a better future.

Last edited by krmb; 07-22-2015 at 10:19 AM..

Old 07-22-2015, 10:11 AM

207 posts, read 275,325 times
Quote:
It would be interesting to see which states did leave if it ever happened. Especially the Western US. The West Coast states wouldn't secede but what about Montana, Idaho, Nevada, the Dakotas, Utah, AZ & NM? What if the Dakotas, AZ, NM & Montana down through TX seceded? Would the West Coast then try and form their own nation separate from the "North" & "South"

In reality, the viability of secession would hinge on one state...Texas (Massive booming economy; 1/3 of all oil for the US comes from; leader by significant margin in import/exports for economy; etc). If Texas said that they didn't want to then I don't see any realistic possibility of it happening.

I live in Texas and I wouldn't support it. United is the reason why the U.S. is the most powerful nation in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.