Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:43 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,347,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
not thinking about dividing the country -- heck, I'd still like us to take over Mexico and Canada. And there's Cuba right over there........JOKING!!!!!
We Californian's only want the Baja California part of Mexico !

Old 07-22-2015, 12:46 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,475,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dch526 View Post
It would be interesting to see which states did leave if it ever happened. Especially the Western US. The West Coast states wouldn't secede but what about Montana, Idaho, Nevada, the Dakotas, Utah, AZ & NM? What if the Dakotas, AZ, NM & Montana down through TX seceded? Would the West Coast then try and form their own nation separate from the "North" & "South"

In reality, the viability of secession would hinge on one state...Texas (Massive booming economy; 1/3 of all oil for the US comes from; leader by significant margin in import/exports for economy; etc). If Texas said that they didn't want to then I don't see any realistic possibility of it happening.

I live in Texas and I wouldn't support it. United is the reason why the U.S. is the most powerful nation in the world.

New Mexico would never.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:58 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,583,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
What if? With the confederate flag furore raging the question might bring some interesting views.As a brit i feel i am not qualified to comment on the debate but interested to hear american citizens views.

I'm a Southerner, but I still think it's justifiable to give my opinion, since you did not at all explicitly state, at the beginning, that people who live in the South are barred from answering.

Of course other countries would support the secession of some states from the union; it would weaken the entire county and leave the seceded states sitting ducks for other nations to take over, unless they raised an army and did quickly. It would probably look a little like Germany before the wall was torn down...

Old 07-22-2015, 01:41 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,654,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I'm a Southerner, but I still think it's justifiable to give my opinion, since you did not at all explicitly state, at the beginning, that people who live in the South are barred from answering.

Of course other countries would support the secession of some states from the union; it would weaken the entire county and leave the seceded states sitting ducks for other nations to take over, unless they raised an army and did quickly. It would probably look a little like Germany before the wall was torn down...
You're correct, it wasn't explicitly stated, but if everything had to be explicitly stated the world would likely grind to a halt.

Your reply above is a good example. It has a big fat zero to do with the question asked, which was:

If the south wanted to secede now would the rest of america have any objections.
Other countries are not the rest of America (US).

Old 07-22-2015, 02:19 PM

381 posts, read 277,830 times
All comments welcome from all parts of the states.maybe i should have framed the question better.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:58 PM

279 posts, read 361,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
It's this kind of attitude that causes the minority to call for secession.... Folks who come to the south for the benefits of living in the south and then bash it and wish it were like the undesirable place they came from. It is completely irritating and makes one want to tell them to go back to where they came from if they can't appreciate the area for what it is.

Just an observation, not necessarily my opinion. But it gives me some sympathy for those that express the views they express.
A couple of questions since you quoted me with your response:

What attitude?

Where did I "bash" the south?

What makes you think people who moved to the South are moving from "undesirable" places? Sometimes it has nothing to do with a desire to leave another area but a job offer, relationship, or a family need.

Why did you make an assumption that people "can't appreciate the area for what it is."

I know you said you were just making an observation, but I think that observation was reaching and reading into a lot of what I wrote.

Read it again and within the context of the OPs question of what would the US feel about a Southern Secession. My point was that the entirety of all the areas of the US is so integrated in the South that it is a unlikely issue. In other words, the South in 2015 is much like the rest of the US due to population migration.

It's funny that you accused another poster of pretentiousness right after you demonstrated that yourself in regards to my post.

Last edited by NC-guy; 07-22-2015 at 03:24 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 03:00 PM

279 posts, read 361,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
As an Irish born (familiar with violent secession issues, think N.I.) naturalized US citizen, I'll throw in my 1.5 Euro.

1: the OP's Q was directed at non southerners. If you consider yourself southern, then by def you disqualify yourself from discussion. And I notice a healthy sprinkling of southerners among the initial replies.
The OP clarified that he welcomed all state's thoughts.

BTW - don't assume someone (like myself) is a Southerner without a broader perspective simply because my name is NC-guy. I lived in NY for most of my life and moved here a decade ago.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:02 PM

207 posts, read 275,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
New Mexico would never.
What if all the states surrounding them seceded? Would they remain an island like Kaliningrad Oblast is to Russia or would they end up being forced to join the "South"?

It would be very interesting to see where each borderline states fell. Would states combine into one to create a stronger country rather than a few states somewhat separate that could get "picked off" by neighboring countries looking to expand?

Would Canada or Mexico try and annex border states? Maybe Minnesota/North Dakota to Canada?

Old 07-22-2015, 05:33 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,943,170 times
(About a year ago there was a vigorous debate on this very question, I think here in this forum. The question was not resolved but it makes for interesting reading.)

The Southwest is filling up with Mexican immigrants, some (perhaps even the majority) of whom believe that region belongs rightfully to Mexico. It was, after all, taken from Mexico a while back. Some of the more extreme among them are actively advocating for secession from the U.S.A. and reunification with Mexico. I wonder how liberals feel about this, and would they take up arms and fight to keep these states part of the Union?

The country is highly disunited and fragmented at this time. There are disenchanted pockets of voters all over the country, particularly in conservative areas, who are very alienated from the President and express such feelings quite vocally.

Even here in Massachusetts, possibly the bluest state of all, home of Elizabeth Warren and the Kennedys, the liberal segment is really the Boston area plus the west (heavily university) bits of the state, whereas Worcester County in the middle and some southern parts do vote Republican. I belong to a rod and gun club that promotes responsible hunting and fishing, and boy do they hate the Democrats, mainly for overly zealous gun control laws in this state. You'd think you were in a different country just to step foot in the club.

Anyway, the House of Representatives more closely reflects the population district-by-district and you will note they are majority Republican. Of course, the Democrats like to say it's all gerrymandering, but that excuse is growing old. Most of the state legislatures and governorships are also Republican.

I would argue we have a highly fragmented and divided country but no longer by region, more by distinct districts dotted all over the map, from Maine to Florida to Oregon to California. We wouldn't have a secession by the entire South because the South is dotted with "blue" districts even if it's majority "red". Similarly, the North wouldn't be able to fight a second Civil War to hold the country together because large parts of the North are "red".

Anyway, in this internet age, geographical location becomes less important.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:30 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,682,349 times
The rest of the United States would object to it, we don't want to see America torn apart like a piece of trash.

The South is staying with us, plus I doubt many in the South would want to really go out on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates