Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:38 AM

279 posts, read 361,346 times

Advertisements

The "South" is pretty well populated with people who are not from the south. I'm not sure if the 2nd generation+ natives are a minority, but they certainly aren't a super majority anymore. You are more likely to find someone from NY or California living next door then you are to find a native.

The areas of Northern Virginia, South Florida, urban North Carolina, and Atlanta (with its MSA being significant bulk of Georgia) are about as aligned to the traditions of the South, in regards to the culture that would want secession, as, well, Canada.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:04 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,398 times
As an Irish born (familiar with violent secession issues, think N.I.) naturalized US citizen, I'll throw in my 1.5 Euro.

1: the OP's Q was directed at non southerners. If you consider yourself southern, then by def you disqualify yourself from discussion. And I notice a healthy sprinkling of southerners among the initial replies.

2: The Q might better be framed as: What would the rest of the US have to gain by losing the south? Might get some surprising answers to that. The snowbirds would likely object.

2.5: I don't take what's below seriously, just to demonstrate they are alive, apparently well, and have friends in high places who could be funding them.........

Vladimir Putin Supports Texas Secession Movement

Breitbart News-Jun 26, 2015
A report claims the Kremlin is sympathetic to groups agitating for an independent Texas, and has been providing support for the secessionists ...

Putin cites Texas to justify Ukraine

Old 07-22-2015, 11:19 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
What if? With the confederate flag furore raging the question might bring some interesting views.As a brit i feel i am not qualified to comment on the debate but interested to hear american citizens views.
The political divide now is a bit different than during the Civil War and the divisions are not as much focused on the location but greatly differing opinions on the direction the country should go. I could see the USA dividing over something but it would involve a severe overstepping of the Constitution by the Federal Government. Right now anyway, there is no serious discussion of any state leaving the USA. Just my opinion but if any state decided they wanted to separate from the USA, I would support them doing so.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:21 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-guy View Post
The "South" is pretty well populated with people who are not from the south. I'm not sure if the 2nd generation+ natives are a minority, but they certainly aren't a super majority anymore. You are more likely to find someone from NY or California living next door then you are to find a native.

The areas of Northern Virginia, South Florida, urban North Carolina, and Atlanta (with its MSA being significant bulk of Georgia) are about as aligned to the traditions of the South, in regards to the culture that would want secession, as, well, Canada.
It's this kind of attitude that causes the minority to call for secession.... Folks who come to the south for the benefits of living in the south and then bash it and wish it were like the undesirable place they came from. It is completely irritating and makes one want to tell them to go back to where they came from if they can't appreciate the area for what it is.

Just an observation, not necessarily my opinion. But it gives me some sympathy for those that express the views they express.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:24 AM

3,506 posts, read 762,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post

1: the OP's Q was directed at non southerners. If you consider yourself southern, then by def you disqualify yourself from discussion. And I notice a healthy sprinkling of southerners among the initial replies.

you are correct .. I did not catch that ...

Old 07-22-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
As an Irish born (familiar with violent secession issues, think N.I.) naturalized US citizen, I'll throw in my 1.5 Euro.

So an Irish immigrant can speak on this but not a native Southerner. I see.

I missed the moderator tag on your profile. But with your 153 reputation points and 3 month membership on the site, I will honor your request and recant my post above.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:42 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
So an Irish immigrant can speak on this but not a native Southerner. I see.

I missed the moderator tag on your profile. But with your 153 reputation points and 3 month membership on the site, I will honor your request and recant my post above.
Blame the OP s/he excluded you, I didn't.
This forum is laughingly called "Great Debates". I put it to you, that at a minimum, participation requires reading, and hopefully understanding the question at issue.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:00 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,423,924 times
Or we could take all 400k of those hick kkk members that do want to secede and carve out a chunk of land for them, put a wall around it, and let them live in their paradise.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Blame the OP s/he excluded you, I didn't.
This forum is laughingly called "Great Debates". I put it to you, that at a minimum, participation requires reading, and hopefully understanding the question at issue.
And this pretentiousness is why I rarely visit this forum. Thank you for the reminder of why I don't and won't visit again. Nice knowin' y'all!

Old 07-22-2015, 12:37 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
not thinking about dividing the country -- heck, I'd still like us to take over Mexico and Canada. And there's Cuba right over there........JOKING!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates