Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 06:31 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,793,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
And, I do. Life begins at conception. You know it takes two.
Well, at least your are consistent in regards to this.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:33 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,313,188 times
The attitudes of the courts are generally along the lines of the mother's wishes and the father's wishes are irrelevant. There is a child and the child must be supported. How the child got here is irrelevant.

Here's your situation hypothetically restated.
If a man marries a woman and she says she'll love him forever and he has children with her, and then she decides she no longer loves him and gets a divorce, should he still owe child support even though she lied?

Yes, because child support is not about the parents but rather about the child. The two of them made a child and they both have to support it.

The same is true if the male and female roles are reversed.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:38 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,793,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
The attitudes of the courts are generally along the lines of the mother's wishes and the father's wishes are irrelevant. There is a child and the child must be supported. How the child got here is irrelevant.
A similar rationale has likewise been used to force male rape victims to pay child support. Are you in favor of that as well?

Quote:
Here's your situation hypothetically restated.
If a man marries a woman and she says she'll love him forever and he has children with her, and then she decides she no longer loves him and gets a divorce, should he still owe child support even though she lied?
Yes, because in this case he knew that she would give birth in the event of a pregnancy. However, this isn't equivalent to my scenario above.

Quote:
Yes, because child support is not about the parents but rather about the child. The two of them made a child and they both have to support it.

The same is true if the male and female roles are reversed.
Do you believe that a child is created at the point of conception/fertilization or implantation? If not, then No, a man did not make a child.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:46 PM

135 posts, read 165,392 times
How many times have we hears stories about the man who promised to marry his girlfriend if she got pregnant? How many of these couple decided to follow through? Should a man be held to his promise of marriage? What about the man who promised to wear a condom and changed his mind later?

Old 08-15-2015, 06:53 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
I honestly can't tell if you are being serious or joking here.
50-50. There should be a firm commitment and agreement from a man to "accept" concequences, be it a form of marriage, or a legal contract, (it could be verbal, but it's much harder to prove a verbal promise took place...)

Old 08-15-2015, 07:25 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
OP. if you don't want to become a father under ANY circumstances....DON"T have sex. At least not intercourse.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:39 PM

671 posts, read 900,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
50-50. There should be a firm commitment and agreement from a man to "accept" concequences, be it a form of marriage, or a legal contract, (it could be verbal, but it's much harder to prove a verbal promise took place...)
Sorry, but that's dumb. Literally takes away any responsibility a man would have when having sex. "Hey, I don't want a kid, but since I'm not married, who cares! I can run off and not pay a dime!"

Old 08-15-2015, 07:41 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
A similar rationale has likewise been used to force male rape victims to pay child support.
May I ask that you provide a link to backup this claim?

Old 08-15-2015, 08:12 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
My own question here is this: Would you support giving a child support opt-out to men if the women that they had sex with promised (as in, this promise can be proven) to get an abortion in the event of an unplanned pregnancy and lied or changed their minds in regards to this later on?
Absolutely not. It's "pay to play" as far as I'm concerned. If the guy didn't wear a condom (or if it broke), and he nevertheless enjoyed an orgasm (which is just filled with those pesky little sperm-critters) which resulted in a pregnancy, he gets to support the offspring for the next 18 years.

And don't come to me to rip the tax dollars out of my hands to support your kid. If you had the need to do the deed, then you pay, not me.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:15 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutout View Post
Sorry, but that's dumb. Literally takes away any responsibility a man would have when having sex. "Hey, I don't want a kid, but since I'm not married, who cares! I can run off and not pay a dime!"
Well, if it's clearly conveyed that he wouldn't pay for child support, the number of unwanted pregnancies would go down. A woman always have a choice, and a guy doesn't have any say in it, other than pay the money, even for one night stand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates