Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 09:05 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,315,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
A similar rationale has likewise been used to force male rape victims to pay child support. Are you in favor of that as well?

It's a common rhetorical technique to respond with an extreme and rare example rather than directly address question at hand. In this case it's your "what about male rape victims causing a pregnancy" question.
Anyway, I persist. Sometimes a court's decision is wrong. I'm not interested in an extremely unusual case where the court was wrong, I'm interested in the general application of the law that ordinary people can expect.

BTW, your initial scenario is quite realistic and common for celebrities and professional athletes. And it's tough luck for the guy, but he has to pay.

Quote:
Yes, because in this case he knew that she would give birth in the event of a pregnancy. However, this isn't equivalent to my scenario above.
But married couples also do have the same problem - unexpectedly pregnant (she stopped the pill and lied about it) and one person wants to terminate and the other does not in spite of earlier agreements. Nonetheless, there is a child that resulted from intercourse and it must be supported.
This also applies to boyfriend/girlfriend situations as well as quickie hookups.

Quote:
Do you believe that a child is created at the point of conception/fertilization or implantation?
Was that your original intention? To turn this into a "when does life start thread?"
No, I'm not answering that. If you want to discuss that, then you need to start another thread.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:11 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Pro-lifers can say the same thing to female-bodied people who never want to risk being forced to carry an unplanned pregnancy to term, though.
?? Your comment has nothing to do with the question you asked.

How many times have you gone out and said you were only going to have one beer and you ended up with two. Should you only have to pay for one? It can be a common occurrence someone says one thing and does another.
As I warned my sons, you don't get to make the decision, however you will be made responsible to pay up. Proceed with caution.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:42 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times
A vasectomy is the only opt out.

However, a friend of mine got a vasectomy because he thought it would keep his wife from getting pregnant. She had a baby anyway, which has caused me to think in his case, all the vasectomy did was change the color of the child.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:45 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Vasectomies can and sometimes do fail, though.
not as much as child payments

Old 08-16-2015, 01:49 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
Also, if a woman who doesn't like both abortion and adoption has a problem with my idea here, then she can avoid having sex with men who are personally okay with opting-out of paying child support and/or avoid promising to get an abortion in the event of an unplanned pregnancy.
And it also goes the other way. If a man does not want to support a child in the future, he can also avoid having sex.

If he plays and the woman gets pregnant, then it is time for the man to pay, and pay, and pay. It is not fair to the tax payers to have to pay for your getting a woman pregnant that results in a baby. The rule should always be, you play, you risk having to pay for 18 or more years.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:02 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
If you have a written and notarized contract then sure. Otherwise, don't have sex with women.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:28 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,760 times
No, men should only have to pay child support if they were married. Children born outside of wedlock should receive a lump sum (starting at 5% of salary).

Old 08-16-2015, 06:06 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Men don't believe any woman talking that crap. If you don't want to pay 18 years for a kid you don't want don't be a dummy. Use a condom or don't bother with her. People lie all the time. She may want a baby and with your help paying for it ,she may just get her wish....

Old 08-16-2015, 07:16 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
The OP seems to have a problem squaring away his desire for free, unfettered intercourse with as many fertile females as possible, and his desire to hang onto as much of his money as possible.

Look, sexual intercourse was meant to be practised in marriage. It has always been the prime motivator for marriage. I realize that is less true today, but that is what marriage was set up for - to foster the creation of a family, and the nurturing of children. It has always provided both men and women with the opportunity to have as much sex (with each other) as they choose. And traditionally, the burden of support for that family has always fallen on the male partner, who was unburdened by pregnancy.

The OP needs to grow up. As has been pointed out here by others, he needs to solve the problem himself. No, you may NOT opt out of child support, if you were the sperm-spouting male who helped to create that pregnancy. And you may NOT force a woman to have an abortion just because the law and Planned Parenthood [sic] say that she "can". When did "can" turn into "have to"??

Your desire for a merry lifestyle is making a mockery of all adult men who have married and raised families, or who abstain, or who step up and pay for their transgressions. Except in your case, you fail to see where your behavior results in a transgression. SEX IS NOT FREE!

Old 08-16-2015, 07:20 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Use a condom and have her be on the pill/diaphragm/IUD/depo/or the ring. Problem solved.

Learn how to use a condom correctly and make sure it's applied correctly. Use a spermicidal jelly too.

If you are unsure if she is using Bc Then don't complete the process, if you get my drift. Use the condom/spermicide. Problem solved.

Or get a vasectomy plus a condom. Problem solved. Vasectomies are reversible in most cases. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates