Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 07:11 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Counting illegal immigrants and whatnot is both against my interests and prima facie against the spirit of our democratic government so I'm pretty opposed to that.
The authors of our Constitution plainly thought differently. Many fewer people were actually eligible to vote by their standards, yet they still used numbers of persons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 10:30 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
What a grump. All because you waltzed out on a limb and then had it sawed off. Your own links contain the language I quoted -- the language that reveals your claims to have been bunk.
Hilarious!
No, not a grump at all. I've already indicated that I'm prepared to acknowledge you are correct, once you graciously supply the appropriate link to support your claim.

See this post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/41523327-post28.html

where I wrote:
Quote:
Until you provide evidence to the contrary, it doesn't exist. When you do provide it, I'll acknowledge that you're correct
But you've so far declined to supply. If you think I'm sufficiently lacking in self confidence as to be unable/unwilling to admit when I'm wrong, then you're sorely mistaken. I've got so much self confidence, I could easily sell you enough to meet your needs without even missing it myself.

You, on the other hand by continuing to refuse to supply the desired link, do nothing more than reinforce the perception that you are at minimum both petty and ungracious, and at max much worse.

You're now between a rock and a hard place. If you supply the link now, you'll be seen as succumbing to my goading, and thus lacking in both principle and strategic debating ability, and if you refuse to supply the link, you'll just continue to reinforce the idea that you really really are just petty and ungracious, at a minimum.

Have a nice day!

Old 10-12-2015, 03:42 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
It's plain old vote-suppression,
You are under the impression that foreigners that have entered this country illegally have the right to vote in a national election?

Old 10-12-2015, 03:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
...but on the other end children below voting age, illegal immigrants, etc. should not be counted.
Children that are citizens should be counted in my opinion. Being citizens of this country they deserve representation, just because they can't vote shouldn't change that.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
If you think I'm sufficiently lacking in self confidence as to be unable/unwilling to admit when I'm wrong, then you're sorely mistaken.
LOL! You know perfectly well that you are wrong. You went out on a limb and had it sawed off behind you. Evenwel arrived at the Court under mandatory appellate jurisdiction. You were not even aware that such a thing existed. Lick your wounds and vow to fight another day. But hopefully over something that you have a better understanding of.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You are under the impression that foreigners that have entered this country illegally have the right to vote in a national election?\
No, as bad as these laws are, I know what they currently say. But Evenwel is not about voting. It is about how voting districts will be apportioned and -- since those who are not eligible to vote tend to be clustered around urban areas -- the case offers Constitution-hating right-wing hacks an opportunity to further bias the voting process toward the voters and outcomes that they prefer.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Children that are citizens should be counted in my opinion. Being citizens of this country they deserve representation, just because they can't vote shouldn't change that.
Children cannot vote. Under Evenwel, they would not be recognized in the math of apportionment.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:07 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,587 times
Quote:
LOL! You know perfectly well that you are wrong. You went out on a limb and had it sawed off behind you. Evenwel arrived at the Court under mandatory appellate jurisdiction. You were not even aware that such a thing existed. Lick your wounds and vow to fight another day. But hopefully over something that you have a better understanding of.
I've already indicated that I'm prepared to acknowledge you are correct, once you graciously supply the appropriate link to support your claim.

See this post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/41523327-post28.html

where I wrote:
Quote:
Until you provide evidence to the contrary, it doesn't exist. When you do provide it, I'll acknowledge that you're correct.
But you've so far declined to supply. If you think I'm sufficiently lacking in self confidence as to be unable/unwilling to admit when I'm wrong, then you're sorely mistaken. I've got so much self confidence, I could easily sell you enough to meet your needs without even missing it myself.

You, on the other hand by continuing to refuse to supply the desired link, do nothing more than reinforce the perception that you are at minimum both petty and ungracious, and at max much worse.

You're now between a rock and a hard place. If you supply the link now, you'll be seen as succumbing to my goading, and thus lacking in both principle and strategic debating ability, and if you refuse to supply the link, you'll just continue to reinforce the idea that you really really are just petty and ungracious, at a minimum.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:25 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Population should be measured as "centers of population"
It's ridiculous that San Antonio, a city of 2 million people is split into about 8 congressional districts.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
I've already indicated that I'm prepared to acknowledge you are correct...
You do nothing but prove to the contrary. A quote from your own source irrefutably proved you wrong. You just keep belly-aching away. Evenwel arrived at the Court via mandatory appellate jurisdiction. There is nothing you can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates