Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2015, 10:06 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,353,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
Oh well, it's not my job to "save the world" from such a thing.
Consequences? For whom? Not my problem. Selfish of me to think so? Why is it my responsibility to try to "outdo" the less intelligent in the pro-creation department, when I know it's not right for me to procreate?
Are you aware that there are people in this day and age that worry about future generations? Not everybody thinks the way you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 10:33 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,260,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Are you aware that there are people in this day and age that worry about future generations? Not everybody thinks the way you do.
Yes, but why do I have to do something that isn't right for me because of them?
I have to live with the consequences of my choices. Easy for you to just demand I have children because I'm educated and YOU believe I should. Who are you to demand it just because YOU say so?

Not everybody thinks the way YOU do.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:29 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,347,454 times
I find most who come up with a lot of nonsense about why people should have many children are actually motivated by an extreme religion they leave that part out. I can't even think of one person I have met that has more then 2 kids.

Last edited by kell490; 11-16-2015 at 01:16 AM..

Old 11-16-2015, 02:01 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,680,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Sorry if I was not clear. The reason or reasons for not having children are not the theme of this thread. The point of the thread is the consequence to future generations when the well educated folks choose not to reproduce. From the historical record we know that a fertility rate of less than two kids per couple leads to a reduction of the population in many countries.

From the historical record we also know folks from 3rd world countries have a much higher fertility rate and hence there is overpopulation in their backyards.

Think 400-500 years ahead and try to see the consequences of drastically reducing the number of children that could have being born in homes that would have promoted education and achievement.
What makes you think that the world will be around in 400-500 years?

As mentioned, there is no guarantee that the well-educated having kids would improve things or create more well-educated people who would also reproduce. Many have already said that as they identify as such, they chose not to procreate. It is happening less and less, yet many who should not create children, do.

With the problems that already exist - partly being many unadopted children, homelessness, poverty, unaffordable housing, those uneducated, not getting work or are underemployed, I would like to see the focus be on addressing the care of those already on the planet and repairing issues, rather than just extending the population with the hopes that some will be smart and educated enough.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
Yes, but why do I have to do something that isn't right for me because of them?
I have to live with the consequences of my choices. Easy for you to just demand I have children because I'm educated and YOU believe I should. Who are you to demand it just because YOU say so?

Not everybody thinks the way YOU do.
I do not demand anything, this is simply a philosophical discussion.

And I believe it is perfectly OK if you do not like children. And as far as I am concerned you don't have to be a pro-environment tree hugger either. And it is OK if you love to drive large SUVs and despise public transportation. It is a free country!

Old 11-16-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
What makes you think that the world will be around in 400-500 years?
The Earth will die when the sun dies. So we still have a few billion years left.

Quote:
As mentioned, there is no guarantee that the well-educated having kids would improve things or create more well-educated people who would also reproduce. Many have already said that as they identify as such, they chose not to procreate.
Yes, a huge problem in Germany!

With the problems that already exist - partly being many unadopted children, homelessness, poverty, unaffordable housing, those uneducated, not getting work or are underemployed, I would like to see the focus be on addressing the care of those already on the planet and repairing issues, rather than just extending the population with the hopes that some will be smart and educated enough.[/quote]

It is obvious we have over population of children that come from poverty leading to the problems you cited (see bold). The cash to take care of this problem comes from the children of productive educated parents. And these folks are becoming scarce due to very low fertility rates. You cannot fool math!

Old 11-16-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I find most who come up with a lot of nonsense about why people should have many children are actually motivated by an extreme religion they leave that part out. I can't even think of one person I have met that has more than 2 kids.
Religion or culture may play a role. I have seen seen large Catholic and Mormon families, but they are perfectly able to take care of themselves.

It is very telling that you have never met anyone with more than two kids. It simply means that a large segment of the educated well to do population is not reproducing. This is a HUGE problem in Germany one of the most advanced nations in the history of the world.

Quote:
The German Government has been keen to encourage immigration over the past fifty years -- partly to address longer term demographic problems in Germany, such as its low birth rate, and partly to address shorter term labor shortages.

The country is now spending about $265 million every year on family subsidies in an attempt to reverse this trend, with little success. Germany has many issues to overcome, including attitudes in the country where working women with children are dubbed "raven mothers" with an implication of neglectfulness and immigrants are not always welcomed with open arms.

Some experts worry that the country has waited too long to try to address its population problem, and raising fertility rates have proven difficult. Giving money to families and tax breaks for stay-at-home mothers and married couples has done little, and demographers believe expanding after-school and day care programs would be a better investment for the country.

The country will also need to start bringing in more immigrants to fill hundreds of thousands of vacant skilled jobs.

Germany is a representation of the declining fertility rates Europe has seen over the past few decades.

Germany Population 2015 - World Population Review

Old 11-16-2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Living paycheck to paycheck definitely sucks. Once upon at time I was when still a young, single person. Also my childhood was very similar to what justinbro2002 describes.

That being said, money and economic factors are not the reason for my decision to not produce offspring. I would just be constantly annoyed by the ongoing neediness of children. What is the point of adulthood if you can't reap the rewards of your personal freedom? Becoming a parent means giving up personal freedom for the sake of raising others. Ten to twenty years ago it was an 18 year commitment but now it seems to be a 25 to 30 year commitment in many cases and in extreme cases the children never leave. No thanks!
I get your point! Not everybody is equipped to preserve the human species.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:57 AM

7 posts, read 8,030 times
When we were all peasants and infant mortality was very high, having many children was the right thing approved by church and society.

Today, many people prefer pets..or think that having a child is just like buying a donkey in a competitive city.

Who cares about the future? Future is now, as Orwell said.

Many people believes that their children should live better than them...many people don't have that certainty.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:06 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,636,855 times
We don't need to breed like rabbits. The poor have too many kids. Welfare has a lot to do with it because they get more money and benefits with each child. I guess when you quit rewarding people for breeding then we can get serious about this his subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates