Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 08:20 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,968,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The main reason is economical freedom.

Is this the correct move for a healthy society?

Successful intelligent couples often decide not to procreate because there is pain in the world or because we are overcrowded. In their hearts these couples believe they are doing the right thing for humanity.

Meanwhile, China has discovered that curtailing reproduction has backfired and they will soon have an aging population with not enough young people in the pool. The one child per couple is a disaster, but at least there is one kid in the picture. However, it seems one kid is not enough! Most of the couples I talk about have ZERO children even though they are well educated and from a higher socioeconomic level.

Why do you think European countries freely admit so many Muslim migrants. They know quite well that without young folks the future is bleak.

What will happen in 100 years if all educated economically successful couples do not have children? What if ALL the kids of the next generations come from a low socioeconomic background?
It's fine for people not to have kids. The world is overpopulated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 08:52 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,342,113 times
I think people should replace themselves. At least.

One reason ISIS is raping everything in sight is to produce babies. They're growing an army.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:00 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,338,031 times
Both my husband and I are successful, well educated professionals and we could more than afford to have children.

We don't want them. Some people think it's selfish I guess. But I think having kids because it's what "were supposed to do" or "I just have to be a parent" especially if you can't afford them is just as selfish.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:14 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,910,468 times
People that do not want children should not have any plain and simple it shows in their parenting, we already have enough worthless ineffective parents.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:15 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,353,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
People forget how much kids cost society. Fewer kids means fewer people paying into social security and the like, but it also means smaller classes, more one on one attention, and maybe more kids learning and fewer dropping out, which means more kids are getting better jobs. Better jobs means more money coming in and more taxes are paid into the system.

Fewer kids means the crime level goes waaaay down, since by the time people are in their 40s, they aren't as apt to commit violent crimes anymore. Fewer kids means much less competition for jobs and apartments, which means wages go up and rents go down. Fewer kids means a lot less childhood diseases and fewer illnesses, like flus and colds, which most adults catch from children. That means fewer sick days and higher productivity at work for the adults already here.

Fewer kids means less people driving on the roads and bridges, which makes our infrastructure last longer and need fewer repairs over a longer period of time. Fewer people on the roads means transport time for goods and services goes down and prices might drop. The demand for fuel will go down, and those prices might drop. Competition for colleges will drop, and those prices might begin to drop.

I personally think there's lots more advantages to having fewer kids in this country than we have now. I just wish more people would think like that.

Without kids, I will use the money I would have spent on them to hire a caregiver.
That is what China thought years ago. Read the NEWS-----the plan did not work.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
People that do not want children should not have any plain and simple it shows in their parenting, we already have enough worthless ineffective parents.
Actually folks that have many children are often bad parents. OTOH, folks that decide to be childless could be phenomenal parents. However, success seems to turn off the drive to reproduce.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Both my husband and I are successful, well educated professionals and we could more than afford to have children.

We don't want them. Some people think it's selfish I guess. But I think having kids because it's what "were supposed to do" or "I just have to be a parent" especially if you can't afford them is just as selfish.
I agree 100%. But, you are thinking in the moment. If all successful couples are like you we would have a very chaotic world in 3-4 generations. The world would be populated by the offspring of the "have nots".

Old 11-14-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
It's fine for people not to have kids. The world is overpopulated.
Then why is Europe importing so many foreigners? In Europe the fertility rate is well below two which is NOT enough to replace the population.

In the USA the rate is 1.9 per couple which is not enough to maintain the population. And it is that high because recent young non-European migrants reproduce more than those of European ancestry.

Quote:
United States

Map of U.S. states by total fertility rate (TFR) in 2013.
The total fertility rate in the United States after World War II peaked at about 3.8 children per woman in the late 1950s and by 1999 was at 2 children. This means that an imaginary woman (defined in the introduction) who fast-forwarded through her life in the late 1950s would have been expected to have about four children, whereas an imaginary woman who fast-forwarded through her life in 1999 would have been expected to have only about two children in her lifetime. The fertility rate of the total U.S. population is just below the replacement level of about 1.9 children per woman.[7] However, the fertility of the population of the United States is below replacement among those native born, and above replacement among immigrant families, most of whom come to the U.S. from countries with higher fertility than that of the U.S. However, the fertility rates of immigrants to the U.S. have been found to decrease sharply in the second generation, correlating with improved education and income.
WIKI

Old 11-14-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

Without kids, I will use the money I would have spent on them to hire a caregiver.
Zero gain sum.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:29 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,910,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Actually folks that have many children are often bad parents. OTOH, folks that decide to be childless could be phenomenal parents. However, success seems to turn off the drive to reproduce.
Yes I know. I was primarily thinking about individuals that make a baby because their significant other wants one but have little to no desire to parent and also others that have kids simply because it's the thing to do without putting much thought into it and additionally can't even provide a stable homelife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates