Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:39 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times

Advertisements

The problem is not the sex, the problem is deceitful, dishonest, clandestine behavior that may endanger the health of the non-cheating spouse.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:05 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Why do we have to assume that monogamy is the only way to relationship?

We don't have to assume anything. If a husband catches his wife cheating or vice versa he does not have to pursue a divorce if he does not want to. If he does, however, it is because he considered it breach of contract, and frankly most people would agree with him. If there are no expectations of monogamy or fidelity that's something that would have been discussed and understood by both parties at some point.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:20 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,138,284 times
It could potentially violate a contract

Old 12-15-2015, 12:06 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
It took me years to figure out how to work the current wife, why would I want to invest time in someone else?

Old 12-15-2015, 12:28 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
No marriage favors men. Nice to know one has a foot on the door and can walk away at any time with no problems.
Care to explain this? I assume youre saying men have no burdens in a marriage without the law? Youre insinuating that marriage exists to tie a man down to his burdens???

Old 12-15-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Care to explain this? I assume youre saying men have no burdens in a marriage without the law? Youre insinuating that marriage exists to tie a man down to his burdens???
Marriage is a contract. A written contract tends to have more weight than an implied verbal agreement. When women decided they wanted to be like the guys they did the guy a BIG favor. With no written contract the man can leave at any time with little burden.

However, women with assets may also benefit form a relationship with no formality. Her assets will also be protected. So it could work both ways.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:04 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Marriage is a contract. A written contract tends to have more weight than an implied verbal agreement. When women decided they wanted to be like the guys they did the guy a BIG favor. With no written contract the man can leave at any time with little burden.

However, women with assets may also benefit form a relationship with no formality. Her assets will also be protected. So it could work both ways.
Thats not true at all. A man that gets a woman pregnant out of wedlock is just as liable for the kids as far as the government is concerned as a man that gets a woman pregnant within the confines a marriage. All a marriage document does is allow them to get a divorce.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:28 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I'm not big on adultery, but I'd be against criminalizing it just simply because there's way too many factors involved (some of which have already been mentioned). Not to mention, if you're looking to punish the 'third party', then there's always the question of 'when did the third party know their lover was married?'

Not to mention....that seems a lot more of a private matter, not a public one, so much. It may be taboo, but it's been illegal, and that really didn't stop anybody in the past.
Well that's good.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Thats not true at all. A man that gets a woman pregnant out of wedlock is just as liable for the kids as far as the government is concerned as a man that gets a woman pregnant within the confines a marriage. All a marriage document does is allow them to get a divorce.
Yeah, paternity is paternity regardless.

Walking away from a relationship with no paper is easier than a relationship with paper. The paper means commitment.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:00 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I do not believe it should be illegal but people do have a point that it is breach of contract, and it should be a factor when determining custody of children and alimony. Currently from what I've heard this is not the case in most jurisdictions. The person who breached the contract should not be rewarded for their betrayal.
I wonder if it necessarily is if you participate in a civil ceremony (rather than a church wedding) and you write your own vows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates