Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 11:16 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,704,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Yeah, I'm more paranoid! Now when I get gas I take my purse out of the car with me while I pump because of what they call "sliders" When I go to my banks atm I only go in daylight hours and am very aware of those around me. I'm extra
cautious in parking lots. I shred anything that's going in the trash that has my name and address on it. When I'm driving
I try to make sure I don't **** anyone off because of road rage. I don't go in convenience stores cause I always thinks there's going to be a robbery. Shall I go on? Times are different and it's scary.
It's true, a lot of people are afraid all the time. Last Christmas I went caroling in a lower income but fairly low crime neighborhood, and over half of the people would not answer their door after dark. People are afraid they will lose their jobs. They are afraid that strangers may leap out and murder them. They have anxiety attacks based on nothing but the fact that they are afraid for some reason.

Other people don't feel that way. They live sensibly and deal with problems as they arise. It's not a matter of reality, it's a matter of personal adjustment. Many people don't understand the world they live in, and are overwhelmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why would you take your purse out? If you're paranoid about it getting stolen, you've just increased your chances. Keep it on the floor of the car & lock your car while you're pumping gas. You don't go to convenience stores because you're afraid of a robbery? Tell me, what are your chances you'll be in the middle of that in the very short time you'll be in the establishment? I work in the inner city & my work consists of being in gas stations & convenient stores 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. I have YET to be caught in a robbery. I am in these places far more than an average citizen yet nothing has happened to me or my car. As far as driving, one has to be a defensive driver & that's been going on for years & years & years, since cars were invented.
I think the point is that many people have no way to evaluate risk. All they have is cautionary tales with no other information. They will avoid convenience stores but drive to the market on bald tires.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
People have been waiting and planning and expects the end of the world since... well since Grog started finger painting the cave wall. Every calamity or big happening was thought of as the end of the world.
Good point. Christianity is a heavily apocalyptic mythology, and evangelicals rely on scaring the hell out of people. It's a good example of an institutionalized delusion that promotes paranoia.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:22 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,215,398 times
I love all the points and counter-points you all have added here! Thanks for adding in your thoughts!

Sometimes I think it's just that the internet has allowed us to interact with people who have significantly different perspectives and life experiences and so they have developed "cautions" (for lack of a better term).

I hesitate to point out anyone in particular but I read about "big pharma" for example and think some people just take the conspiracy angle a little too far.

Maybe I'm just more pragmatic? Or maybe too trusting.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:26 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,961,815 times
I'm not paranoid. Except about the lasers, and the voices. They tell me things, please make them stop!

Whew, that was close, I got my meds and my pretty hat. It's all shiny and it reflects the lasers back to the aliens ship. I'll be ok now.

Seriously though, what is paranoid? Is it paranoid to be concerned about the economy enough to stock some supplies? Is it paranoid to carry a gun due to existing or perceived crime? At what point does preparation turn into paranoia?

Old 02-08-2016, 05:07 PM

50,893 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I'm not paranoid. Except about the lasers, and the voices. They tell me things, please make them stop!

Whew, that was close, I got my meds and my pretty hat. It's all shiny and it reflects the lasers back to the aliens ship. I'll be ok now.

Seriously though, what is paranoid? Is it paranoid to be concerned about the economy enough to stock some supplies? Is it paranoid to carry a gun due to existing or perceived crime? At what point does preparation turn into paranoia?
I'll continue to take all your posts at face value.

Yes, in my view it is paranoid to stock some supplies because of the stock market. Let's say we went into another Great Depression. How many years of supplies are you going to stockpile?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates