Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 02:16 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,191,641 times

Advertisements

Generally, I call when I need to reach someone or need some information right away. I text when there is no sense of urgency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 04:46 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,627,129 times
Why do people text on their phones?

Because the connection is better on the phone than on their hair dryer.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:53 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,776,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So you can take time to read a text but not answer your phone? I'm sure your boss would be happy to know that. Good for said woman I don't want someone in my life who can't put down their phone to make time for me. Sorry that you & your friends can't take the time to call perhaps you all need change your lifestyles.
My boss texts, too! She, too, has joined the 21st century. On days she's not on site, but needs to quickly communicate something to me, she will text me.

As far as texting my friends, it works MUCH better than calling. See, when I am free, my friend is usually at work. And vice versa. Therefore, we can each respond when WE ARE AVAILABLE, rather than interrupting each other's day. I cannot usually take outside phone CALLS during the day, and my friend is not allowed to have her personal phone on, due to security issues at her job. THEREFORE, out weekday communication is much more efficient via texting. It works GREAT for me, my kids, my boss, my friends....what's not to like? (hint: nothing!)

I suppose you yell at small children and puppies and tell them to get off yer lawn too.....

Old 03-30-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Because texting on paper is inefficient...

People text because you can do it anywhere. You can be in a meeting or any place where you need to be quiet and don't need to leave the room or distract others to have a conversation with other people.
YES!! I love being able to be discrete and quiet while communicating.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:55 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,554,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
My boss texts, too! She, too, has joined the 21st century. On days she's not on site, but needs to quickly communicate something to me, she will text me.

As far as texting my friends, it works MUCH better than calling. See, when I am free, my friend is usually at work. And vice versa. Therefore, we can each respond when WE ARE AVAILABLE, rather than interrupting each other's day. I cannot usually take outside phone CALLS during the day, and my friend is not allowed to have her personal phone on, due to security issues at her job. THEREFORE, out weekday communication is much more efficient via texting. It works GREAT for me, my kids, my boss, my friends....what's not to like? (hint: nothing!)
So your & your boss are stealing from the company you work for. Got it!

Old 03-31-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
So your & your boss are stealing from the company you work for. Got it!
Stealing? No...(our texts are work related).

I suppose you would consider making phone calls stealing, too? Writing, reading, and sending emails?

I suppose you stick to the old fashioned quill and parchment? Sealed with a wax drop? Couriered over horseback?

Time for someone to join the 21st century...technology is not going away. So join in or get left behind.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:52 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,554,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Stealing? No...(our texts are work related).

Time for someone to join the 21st century...technology is not going away. So join in or get left behind.

I'm sure they are ALL work related. I'm not left behind I just refuse to be a sheep.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:41 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,388,095 times
I text with my family members all the time, because it allows me to get my thoughts down without interrupting them. Sometimes my son texts to ask if he can stay after school early in the morning when I am busy with something else, and I can reply without disrupting his school day. Yes, I could leave a voice mail, but text is more convenient, and there's no chance for argument later on, because my answer is recorded on both phones. It's the same with my husband, who doesn't always have time to take a call from me for a simple question, i.e., can you pick up a pizza on the way home? I would never use texting as a replacement for the hour-long phone call I make to my mother on Sunday, but for those people with whom I have daily face-to-face interaction, it's an effective and efficient way to communicate non-urgent but important information that they can peruse at their convenience.

I'll leave you with this story out of Boulder, Colorado. A couple of years ago, two law enforcement officers colluded to shoot a much-beloved elk, who had a habit of hanging around a city neighborhood. The elk was not a safety threat to the community. The officers just wanted the thrill of shooting it. They made their arrangements over text rather than via phone call, thereby documenting their unlawful plot. The texts were later subpoenaed, and the officers convicted. The moral of the story: sometimes a phone call really is better.

Edit: My husband mentions the importance of tiered communication in a professional setting. Texting joins instant messaging, e-mail, personal phone call, conference call, wiki, etc. as techniques for transferring information in the best way possible. As an example, group text allows him to update nine team members with the access code for a conference call at once. Nobody has to write it down; it's automatically documented.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:00 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,646,914 times
Text is convenient. If you've no time or inclination for a phone conversation and just need to send a reminder or a quick request its great. Drawn out text conversations...no. I'd rather talk, But text is good for the qui k stuff.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I'm sure they are ALL work related. I'm not left behind I just refuse to be a sheep.
I get breaks at work, didn't you, back in the day when you worked?

The great thing about texting is that one can text and eat lunch at the same time or text and go to the bathroom at the same time! Multi-tasking at its finest.

I do like living in the modern world with its conveniences...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates