Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 01:49 PM

22,343 posts, read 29,457,534 times

Advertisements

Texting is quick, easy and to the point.

However, when I was single and dating if you didn't actually call me to set up a first date you were fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 05:29 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
So your & your boss are stealing from the company you work for. Got it!
Yes, I'm sure you'd like them to punch out to take a drink of water or blow their nose, as well.

Even slaves could sing work songs.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:46 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,773,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Yes, I'm sure you'd like them to punch out to take a drink of water or blow their nose, as well.

Even slaves could sing work songs.
Ha ha! Exactly.

[I don't even have to punch in....I'm salaried. I often bring work home with me (4 out of 5 nights) because 1) I love what I do and 2) I always am looking for ways to improve what I do.]

So I can take a few minutes to text here and there!

Old 04-01-2016, 01:11 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,393,132 times
Quote:
... I'm not left behind I just refuse to be a sheep.
Sometimes it is good to join the flock. Or the flock will leave you behind.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:47 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Texting is simply an additional method of communication. Use it or don't, but declaring that everyone who uses it is a "sheep" or is somehow lacking in communication skills or the ability to hold personal interaction is ridiculous. Smug self satisfaction is a character trait that ranks up there with the folks who can't set down the cell phone for any length of time. Neither is something to be proud of.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:01 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Quote:
I'm sure they are ALL work related. I'm not left behind I just refuse to be a sheep.
You do have a mobile phone like almost everyone, right?

And you're clearly online like almost everyone, right?

Let me guess - you own a television and a car like almost everyone, right?

So none of those mass-behaviors in which you are engaged are sheeplike... why, precisely?

No, no, I know exactly why. Because you want to engage in them.

In other words, a sheep is anyone who enjoys widely-popular behaviors except for you.

You know, it's okay not to want to text. Really, it's fine. You don't have to invent this fantasy-world in which your dislike of texting is some sort of righteous act, and everyone who texts is being assimilated by the Borg. So you can lose the idea that you're some heroic rugged individualist bucking the trend. You're just someone who dislikes texting. That's fine. But it's no better than someone who finds texting convenient. And to think otherwise is very self-absorbed.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:34 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,773,899 times
Quote:
Or they can encourage you to jump off a cliff, which is sounds like you would be willing to do.

I would also like to encourage you to give your kids cellphone so they can also reap the benefits of getting fat & not doing anything with their lives.
Yeah....that sure what happened with MY kids....they all had iPhones in high school. They are so unmotivated as a direct result of having those phones...very sad. They've only done the following:

Oldest only graduated from his university in 4 years with Honors and had a VERY well paying job secured before he graduated. He recently had his review and was given a significant raise in salary. Bum.

Second also only graduated from a very selective university also in 4 years also with Honors and had a 6 figure job secured before he graduated. Such a slacker.

Third is finishing up at his selective university (where he was awarded an academic scholarship and from which he'll also graduate in 4 years), and he currently has a 4.0 at the university, is involved in more clubs than I can count, is working for a professor as an editor, has an job. Clearly he's doing nothing.

Darn phones. Imagine what they would have done without phones.

Reed, you clearly followed the herd of sheep in getting a computer and going online...how's that workin' out for ya?

Old 04-01-2016, 11:36 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
You do have a mobile phone like almost everyone, right?

And you're clearly online like almost everyone, right?

Let me guess - you own a television and a car like almost everyone, right?

So none of those mass-behaviors in which you are engaged are sheeplike... why, precisely?

No, no, I know exactly why. Because you want to engage in them.

In other words, a sheep is anyone who enjoys widely-popular behaviors except for you.

I have a cellphone ONLY because my wife wants me to have one. Yeah, I watch TV yet we don't watch it a lot. A car is a need not a want.

Want to know the real reason I don't like cellphones? I don't like the effect on children I watch my wife's kids who can't act like they can't live without them. Nor do they sleep well or do there homework because of their phones. I don't like the affect they have on people in general. Texting while driving or while out on a date, etc. I think people are better without them myself.

Old 04-01-2016, 03:13 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Oldest only graduated from his university in 4 years with Honors and had a VERY well paying job secured before he graduated. He recently had his review and was given a significant raise in salary. Bum.

Darn phones. Imagine what they would have done without phones.

Reed, you clearly followed the herd of sheep in getting a computer and going online...how's that workin' out for ya?

Sounds like you knew someone who helped him get a job. He might of been an astronaut.

Going online is different then spending time on your phone so you can keep in touch with Facebook. People stay connected these days. Yeah, I like coming on here I have no problem admitting that. Obsessed I am not. Maybe your kids had a decent balance my wife's kids didn't their dad got them hooked on it so he wouldn't have to deal with them.

This is why I'm not a fan off too much technology.

Reality check: Can children become addicted to technology? - National | Globalnews.ca

Technology Addiction

5 Ways “Tech Addiction” Is Changing Human Behaviour - Hongkiat

Old 04-01-2016, 04:02 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
I don't text, but as far as I can tell, people text because they don't have any interest in serious communication, and they regard social niceties as a waste of time.

I agree - talking is often faster, and it drives me crazy when internet companies make me waste so much time with typing emails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates