Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 02:11 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Does it really matter whether you call it an act of terror or an act of hate? The end result is the same-people are dead.

Cat
I agree and actually think they both mean the same in these circumstances..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 04:11 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
He was a nutball wannabe, seeking attention in the worst way...and that's how he got it. I've seen plenty of his kind. Race, color, creed, none of it matters. They just want to be 'big'. Any excuse will do. Whatever is handy, that is 'different' from them and their opinions on what is 'right'.

He was looking for something to brag about, some way to make himself feel like a 'big shot' (pun not intended). He wasn't very bright. He supposedly wanted to be a cop...I've little doubt that he didn't get to be because of intelligence and psychological issues.

The sad thing is that, apparently, none of his targets were armed and capable of fighting back, they were sheep in a slaughterhouse.

First of all, it's illegal to carry in a bar in FL.

Secondly, he was investigated 2-3 times by the FBI because of PRIOR ACTS like affiliation with another terrorist bomber from his mosque. He had visited Saudi Arabia twice. He was on the terror watch list and under surveillance, too.

He had a license to carry, a licensed security guard and he worked for a prominent contractor FOR DEPT OF HOMELAND SECURITY.

His father is a proven political activist and also made deceptive statements from the moment his son was identified.

If you're talking about being unintelligent and psychological, that would apply to a majority of these terrorists, right? And what about the Afghan tradition of raping boys.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:23 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
First of all, it's illegal to carry in a bar in FL.

Secondly, he was investigated 2-3 times by the FBI because of PRIOR ACTS like affiliation with another terrorist bomber from his mosque. He had visited Saudi Arabia twice. He was on the terror watch list and under surveillance, too.

He had a license to carry, a licensed security guard and he worked for a prominent contractor FOR DEPT OF HOMELAND SECURITY.

His father is a proven political activist and also made deceptive statements from the moment his son was identified.

If you're talking about being unintelligent and psychological, that would apply to a majority of these terrorists, right? And what about the Afghan tradition of raping boys.
Just wonder how the father will cope knowing his son was probably gay... much worse than a mass killer to some....

Old 06-14-2016, 07:22 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
You had me right up until you called it Islamic terrorism. It isn't. It's Islamist terrorism. The difference is important - and the subject of my research.

'Islamic' is a adjective that relates to the religion called Islam. (The equivalent adjective is Christianity for those who believe in the religion based on Christ.)

Islamism is a governing principle that Islamists use to justify ruling (and oppressing) a national population. Wasn't seen in our lifetimes until February 1, 1979, when Kohmeini returned to Tehran and took over the Iranian government. Al-Qaeda then tried to do it, but failed. The Taliban was pretty good at it because Mullah Omar was absolutely ruthless in putting down dissent. ISIS is currently trying it and - according to this morning's intel - is losing ground. (Google the town of Sirte, Libya.)

If you talk to the average Muslim, you'll find they abhor Islamists. The vast majority (99+%) of Muslims don't believe in Islamism. It is a basic tenant of Islam that men govern men here on earth, but all men have a personal, religious relationship with Allah - all the way back to the 7th century. There have been exceptions and the occasional deal made between religious leaders and tribal leaders (the Saud-Wahabi deal from back in the 1800s comes to mind), but for the most part, Muslims keep their national governments and their religion separate.

Most Muslims also don't believe in the hard-line, unforgiving stances taken by Islamists, such as homosexuals should be killed or dying while engaging in offensive jihad will result in a free trip to Paradise. Those are interpretations found in various texts and opinions that most Muslims don't believe in. (They think suicide bombers are en route straight to hell.)

And before you try to beat me up about Saudi Arabia, stop and consider that both Al-Qaida and ISIS have attacked the Saudi government. In fact, Islamists have killed more Muslims than victims of all other religions combined. So calling out Muslims for the acts of Islamists is a lot like calling out the Baptists because most Klu Klux Klan members were Christians.

So if we're going to have this debate, let's debate the real issue. It isn't religion, it is governance.

(If only our presidential candidates understood this...)
I don't know where to start with this theory. So I'll keep it short. (for me )

GOVERNANCE? Odd choice of words to deny any religious connection - since Sharia is a system of fundamentalist Islam governance. BASED ON RELIGION. It really doesn't matter to me if it's a fair "interpretation" of Islam or not.

BTW WHO invented Islam?

1979??? While it's true MANY MANY countries took a backwards leap off a cliff into the dark ages in our lifetime, the Islamic SHARIA CULT hardly started then.

Not only do many Muslim majority governments NOT keep "their national governments separate from their religion" but in the places where they do, they hold independent Sharia courts and systems.

The ISLAMIC STATE is calling itself ISLAMIC. So is our government including the President. Now if the "good Muslims" would only act to use their 1 Billion man power to squash the caliphate (going on for 1500 years) we wouldn't have this problem.

If ISIS et al are so insignificant in number, what's the problem?

I agree we will never have an honest debate as long as we are ignoring:

1. The Prophet Mohammed and the brainwashing therein and thereinafter.

https://www.islam-guide.com/ch3-8.htm

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/p...-muhammad.aspx

2. The Muslim Qur'an and Muslim Hadith

3. Government sanctioned, or non govern-mentally practiced, or government tolerated, OR Jihadi imposed Sharia Law across the Middle East not to mention the Western world adopting tolerance to the form of "governance".

4. The PROVEN fact that MANY MANY Muslims who've migrated to the West are BELIEVERS in Sharia and having been RAISED with that belief system, will not be changing any time soon. Let alone the statistics that 2nd generation Muslims are often the radicalized. So what if we're INFIDELS? Apparently that's a problem.

I'm pretty sure at least ONE presidential candidate 100% understands about the "systems of governance".

I also find conflating Radical Islamic Terrorists to the KKK to be completely false. But it's a very Obama-type way to make an anti-Christian claim and take the heat off Islam. Even if you want to say 10% of Protestants were KKK members back in the day, you didn't have them murdering the same percentage of their own people and forcing entire countries to either become KKK or escape for their lives.

We never had KKK "holy men" armies operating little courts and councils in public office buildings. And the 12 or so politicians who were of that persuasion were not considered holy men like all these Imams preaching hate of countries they aren't even PART OF.

Why do we have muftis issuing fatwas in ENGLAND. Because you're RIGHT - GOVERNANCE. ISLAM is GOVERNANCE.

Is Sharia law good for the UK? Islamic code helps Muslims and non-Muslims live in peace, believes top scholar

10% of 1.5 BILLION muslims = 150,000,000 - One Hundred and fifty MILLION muslims support VIOLENT JIHAD.

I guess what I'm saying is: KEEP it "over there". Don't pretend you can vet the "bad Muslims" out of some emotional concept of guilt or whatever it is driving this insistence to bring in increasing amounts of people. Even after the great immigration influx in the early 1900s we put a moratorium on it to give the people a chance to assimilate.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-14-2016 at 07:39 AM..

Old 06-14-2016, 07:41 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 12 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Omar Marteen used to visit the club quite frequently, which suggest he may have been gay and then become radicalised, thereby taking his own inner demons out on the LGBT Community. This suggest hate crime, although a hate crime linked to Radical Fundamentalist interpretation of the Koran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC

I've seen him a couple of times at Pulse, a couple of other people that I've spoken with, including an-ex security guard, have actually witnessed this guy at Pulse many times before," said Chris Callen.

In one incident, Mr Callen said Mateen pulled a knife on a friend after being angered by a religious joke.Despite this, Mr Callen said Mateen was a "nice guy... Maybe he got radicalised and hated who he was".

""Sometimes he would go over in the corner and sit and drink by himself, and other times he would get so drunk he was loud and belligerent," Ty Smith told the Orlando Sentinel.

And another man, Kevin West, told the Washington Post he saw Mateen walking into Pulse in the early hours of Sunday, having already met him through dating app Jack'd."I remember details," said Mr West. "I never forget a face.

While there has been no official comment from the authorities on the claims, CNN and NBC said investigators were examining them.

Orlando killer Omar Mateen 'visited Pulse gay club' - BBC News

Old 06-14-2016, 10:03 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Why does the media have to keep pointing out it was a gay bar??? Would it have been not as bad or worse if they were all straight people?? They were people doing what many people do to celebrate or relax.
Islamist Terrorist Hate Gays.
Islamic Terrorists Hate Americans
Islamic Terrorists Hate Christians, Jews, Hindus.Islamic Terrorists even Hate Muslims that DO NOT agree with them.
If I hear one more idiot talking about how "Love beats hate" I will puke.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:29 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,430 times
This thread has reached the point where it's more suited for Politics & Other Controversies, however due to the large number of similar threads already created, this thread will be closed.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:59 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,048,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Why does the media have to keep pointing out it was a gay bar??? Would it have been not as bad or worse if they were all straight people?? They were people doing what many people do to celebrate or relax.
The horror of the crime is still just as brutal and tragic. I think that the fact that it was a LGBT target only seems significant because of the statistical probability that there are less likely to be armed patrons prepared to fight back. Terrorist groups generally don't attack where there is more likely to be resistance.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:57 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmax4 View Post
Isn't that the reason most of us are here? Because our ancestors were immigrants?
Agreed. I encourage those who think that Islam (or really anyone of a different faith) is a horrible threat to do two things. First, get some perspective on reality and actually go out and interact with people who are different.

Second, look up the "Know Nothing" party of the American past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_Nothing

"The movement arose in response to an influx of migrants and promised to "purify" American politics by limiting or ending the influence of Irish Catholics and other immigrants, thus reflecting nativist and anti-Catholic sentiment. It was empowered by popular fears that the country was being overwhelmed by German and Irish Catholic immigrants, whom they saw as hostile to republican values and as being controlled by the Pope in Rome. Mainly active from 1854 to 1856, the movement strove to curb immigration and naturalization but met with little success. Membership was limited to Protestant men. "

Bigotry is nothing new, and I do find it amusing that about 150 years ago, Catholics were "horrible people who were the enemy of the nation's values." Right... I wonder how many of the modern, "Christian", Islam hating bigots would not be in America today had the Know Nothing generation of bigots had their way? Irony.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:08 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
As more parts of the puzzle come out that he was probably a homosexual, had a strongly Islamic father and a Palestinian wife it may be that he was twisted (brainwashed) by them in such a way that it would be better to die as a Martyr for a cause than live the life of disgrace of coming out as a homosexual. So the acts of terror and hate may actually belong to someone else and he was the pawn of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates