Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 03:58 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The program you posted about is specifically for children. What should children do if thir parents are unable (for whatever reason) to feed them?
There are hundreds of different assistance programs NOT directly tied to children: "Federal and state welfare programs include cash assistance, healthcare and medical provisions, food assistance, housing subsidies, energy and utilities subsidies, education and childcare assistance, and subsidies and assistance for other basic services. Private provisions from employers, either mandated by policy or voluntary, also provide similar social welfare benefits....The programs...help to provide food, shelter, education, healthcare and money to U.S. citizens through primary and secondary education, subsidies of college education, unemployment disability insurance, subsidies for eligible low-wage workers, subsidies for housing, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits, pensions for eligible persons and health insurance programs that cover public employees." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social..._United_States

For most welfare programs, government staff is under orders to give away as much money as possible, and get as many applicants approved as possible--whether they qualify or not (I know this; I WAS one of those government employees). Since the working class is enslaved to pay for anything the lower classes need, it is in the interest of our government to maximize the problem. After all, you need more government to run all those programs for the growing underclass (and don't forget that over half your tax dollars go to overpaying a bureaucrat, rather than supporting that single mother with 5 kids).

As to the argument that children justify ANY expense, we would have far FEWER needy children if we didn't PAY unwed mothers to breed them. Worse, we make it impossible to earn a living in the inner cities without either breeding children or dealing drugs.

We have to stop Big Government's campaign to function as the father of every lower-class child in the nation.
The problem is so bad now that it will take decades to return to even minimal sanity, but as a start we can stop the worst offenders: support a woman who has child she cannot afford, but only as long as she is committed to an automatic, reliable method of birth control that will ensure she add no more children to the welfare rolls. The requirement would be a birth control implant (Implanon, Nexplanon) that protects against pregnancy for up to 4 years, with funding to expand the choices of birth control that absolutely ensure that children cannot be bred simply for income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 04:05 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
in case you don't know what a 104% debt to GDP ratio means, let me explain it real quick. If every American paid in taxes 100% of their income for a whole year, as in every single cent you and everyone earned went to the government all year long, including all the Richie rich 1 percenters, we still wouldn't pay off the national debt. And why is that important? About half of it is retirement funds for Americans. Social security and pensions, that can't be paid out unless that debt gets paid. And as our debt grows, our interest payments grow, and eventually our entire revenue will be eaten up by interest payments. We are in it up to our eyeballs, and that's a fact.
In case you didn't know it, you could eliminate TANF, SNAP & WIC programs tomorrow and it would hardly make a dent in the debt, do some research and find out where the money is really going, and please be honest enough not to throw in SS and Medicare, because those are NOT welfare programs.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
Illegals are eligible for a number of benefits including education, housing and healthcare. Those are the big 3 that cost tax payers. Not to mention they enjoy our roads, water, military, police, fire, etc without paying a dime into it. These aren't engineers or other high skilled workers coming over who are going to pay taxes. As this thread discusses, these are individuals who are going to be on social services for their entire lives.
That's pure BS, most illegals pay the same taxes as citizens, unless they work under the table, they pay the same payroll taxes as you and I, and they also pay vehicle registration tax, sales tax and state taxes. Oh, and by the way - they do NOT get subsidized housing, and their healthcare is limited to ER care under EMTALA, and they are not eligible for ACA subsidies. I already addressed the education issue, that is the result of a 34 year old Supreme Court decision.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
we would have far FEWER needy children if we didn't PAY unwed mothers to breed them
No source for that, huh? That is probably because it's not accurate. There are states called "maximum family grant" states that do not provide additional welfare benefits for any children born AFTER you enroll. The family size in welfare families in those states is the same as in states that provide additional cash benefits for additional children.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:27 PM

280 posts, read 250,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
So you cherry picked the one paragraph included without documentation? Meanwhile, ignoring the fact that the undocumented immigrants earn less, and pay more in taxes than the average American worker? What are these "benefits" you are begrudging them? Not welfare or food stamps, because they aren't eligible.
Sorry I cited your article and you didn't like what it said. I won't re-quote the article but the fact of the matter is that these individuals cost us significant amount of money. Every ER visit that they don't pay for, every seat in a classroom they take, every car accident that they cause but don't have insurance for all adds up. They don't pay more in taxes. The article cited that they pay less than the top 1%. This is true of every low income earner based on how earned income is taxed differently than capital gains.

We do not need more manual labor in this country. I promise you that the dishes will get washed, yards mowed and fields picked if we didn't have this open door policy.

Old 06-23-2016, 04:33 PM

280 posts, read 250,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's pure BS, most illegals pay the same taxes as citizens, unless they work under the table, they pay the same payroll taxes as you and I, and they also pay vehicle registration tax, sales tax and state taxes. Oh, and by the way - they do NOT get subsidized housing, and their healthcare is limited to ER care under EMTALA, and they are not eligible for ACA subsidies. I already addressed the education issue, that is the result of a 34 year old Supreme Court decision.
The crux of the issue is that we are not getting a normal distribution of talent when it comes to illegal immigrants. If we got some high skilled workers and some low skilled workers it would be ok. Instead we are getting 100% low skilled talent that in the end costs tax payers. We should be doing everything we can to discourage this. 100years ago manual labor was important and why we could take everyone. Things have changed and there is little use for these skills in a modern economy.

I missed the education piece but every child costs 10K to educate per year (in CA). Not sure how you overlook this piece when talking about costs to the US tax payers.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:05 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
How nice of you to just brush aside all of the other things I said to focus on this one thing where you want me to say something non-PC so that you can express outrage. Figures.

Here's the thing. I ignored all of that because the point I was interested in was the one you first brought up. The rest, frankly, is SSDD.

Here, let me pull that up again for you:

Quote:
Mother Nature controls populations so that they don't get too big. When food starts to get scarce, then the weaker animals starve and die, while the stronger ones get the food and live. In this way, the stronger survives and the species evolves.

While emotionally I will always try to help make sure kids have enough to eat, intellectually I know that it is bad for the human race to do so. Survival of the fittest means I should accept that those who cannot provide for their offspring should not propagate the gene pool. When we feed the children of those who cannot acquire adequate resources, we are essentially de-evolving the species. Damaging humankind.

No mention of monetary impacts to the country etc, just plain old basic survival of the species from a biological/evolutionary standpoint.

Now you are backpedaling, and trying to change the focus to a monetary one.

If you are truly going to make that argument, then it would be good to be consistent at least. If your real concern is that only the fittest should be procreating and that we, by virtue of helping those less fortunate, are "damaging humankind" even while placating our inner bleeding hearts, then you need to look at other reasons people suffer, fail to thrive or even die prematurely. If the only reasons you are interested in discussing are those which affect "them" instead of "us", then you are being disingenuous.

Last edited by maciesmom; 06-23-2016 at 05:25 PM..

Old 06-23-2016, 05:09 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
There are hundreds of different assistance programs NOT directly tied to children:
And yet, the one the OP posted about is. Hence my response.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
The crux of the issue is that we are not getting a normal distribution of talent when it comes to illegal immigrants. If we got some high skilled workers and some low skilled workers it would be ok. Instead we are getting 100% low skilled talent that in the end costs tax payers. We should be doing everything we can to discourage this. 100years ago manual labor was important and why we could take everyone. Things have changed and there is little use for these skills in a modern economy.

I missed the education piece but every child costs 10K to educate per year (in CA). Not sure how you overlook this piece when talking about costs to the US tax payers.
Actually you are in error, your mistake is two fold, you apparently only consider programmers and statisticans 'highly skilled' when in reality immigrants bring a number of valuable skills, masonry, flooring, carpentry, cooking, sewing. Your second mistake is in assuming that all immigrants are from latin america and are poorly educated when in fact 12% of the undocumented in the US are Asian, most of them very well educated.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 06-23-2016 at 07:09 PM..

Old 06-23-2016, 08:41 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,628,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In case you didn't know it, you could eliminate TANF, SNAP & WIC programs tomorrow and it would hardly make a dent in the debt, do some research and find out where the money is really going, and please be honest enough not to throw in SS and Medicare, because those are NOT welfare programs.
It's kind of funny how our Military presence Overseas in nations like S. Korea , Germany ,Iraq ,etc. over decades after WW2 isn't considered "Military " Welfare though.

But the Repukes worry about 5 year olds getting "free breakfast" at school as being "Moochers" as a "ever-expanding, all-encompassing, permanent and generational welfare class"

You know what is pathetic? A lot of our Military serving now aren't paid enough that so many are on FOOD STAMPS themselves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates