Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2016, 02:30 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
What bothers me is that many people have no shame. Where is the shame not working and accepting handouts?

I think people should be required to work for their welfare benefits - maybe a government program working on our infrastructure - people need to realize life is not fair - you can be born into a poor family or a rich family and that determines your life - its not fair but that's the way it is - unless you work your way up by hook and by crook - not fun - not easy -

Birth control is also free for the poor - why are they still having kids? You should not have kids if you cannot afford them. Having 5 or more kids is only for the rich nowadays.

They are still having kids because the government pays for prenatal care, delivery and gives these mothers free car seats, formula, etc. Then their kids get free health care, dental care, food stamps, etc. Many of these mothers don't want to work or don't have the skills to have anything other than a minimum wage job. I personally feel after the first child birth control should be mandatory until they can support themselves and their children.

My granddaughter's mother is on her third pregnancy with the third baby daddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 02:41 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
They do this for ALL children where I live in Florida. None have to prove their financial status. There are a LOT of wealthy parents in this area, and their children also will get the same free Summer breakfasts and lunches as those "poor, immigrant, migrant (minority) children". Maybe Nanny can drop the kiddies off so she doesn't have to cook for them?

Old 06-25-2016, 02:48 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
They do this for ALL children where I live in Florida. None have to prove their financial status. There are a LOT of wealthy parents in this area, and their children also will get the same free Summer breakfasts and lunches as those "poor, immigrant, migrant (minority) children". Maybe Nanny can drop the kiddies off so she doesn't have to cook for them?
I have lived in two different states in neighborhoods that have this and they will feed anyone that walks in there. They don't have to show proof of anything and don't even have to be a child. If it isn't in your neighborhood you can drive to a school somewhere else that has it.

Most of the families I know that do this do it because it is free not because there is not food at home. It leaves their money free to be used for other things.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:58 PM

366 posts, read 493,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post

I can see a day coming in America if not the entire modern global economic system wherein the laboring classes will be phased out and the interim solution to techno-displacement with regard to employment will be a kind of wage for simply existing. In short, the final step in the institutionalizing of poverty.
So why not fight against it simply by not reproducing? Poverty is in every parent control. If they stop reproducing they will not perpetuate the cycle of poverty. Then they are left with only their own lives to consider and even there they have obvious options.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:05 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
This is very true but not sure how you solve this? If you make less than X then you get your kid taken from you? Keep in mind that for some (myself included) having kids puts a drive in you like no other.

I agree that having "baby-mamas" with multiple kids and going to live off of society for the rest of their lives isn't acceptable either.
It's called personal responsibility and keeping your damn legs closed. And maybe taking kids away isn't so bad. If you can't provide their basic needs you're an unfit parent. Mandatory birth control would be a plus.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I am for helping the disabled that cannot take care of themselves. That is, those through no fault of their own don't have the cognitive or physical ability to provide for themselves. I believe this is right because we should be compassionate enough to do this. Everyone alive is only one bad car accident or physical attack away from being there themselves.

What bothers me is that most of the takers have nothing wrong with their brain and are able bodied enough to do something. These are the clueless, not the helpless.

To put what I'm saying into perspective, here is my own personal experience. Decades ago when my kids were little and in their first years of school something was sent home with one of them. I would always read what came home with them. It was the info for the free lunch program. According to the income vs how many kids at home blah blah, we qualified for it. It really bothered me when I read that. I never asked for it and we didn't need it, but here was government bs being sent to me from the school telling me I was poor when I wasn't. I didn't think I was. We paid our bills. Made the payment on our little bitty old house and had plenty to eat. We were a one income family that had to watch spending more closely than others maybe, but nobody ever went without eating and we could even afford a modest vacation now and then. We had goals and just kept working at it. We were happy, so I always have to ask myself how many are taking services because they are there, they are free, but it isn't needed? Our definition of poverty maybe isn't really poverty.
This x 1,000!

Old 06-25-2016, 06:58 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Where are the poor who receive so much 'free stuff' from the taxpayer that they have no incentive to work? Do you know how much they actually receive? I worked with the poor in Nevada, a parent with 2 kids received $383 cash every month and $437 in SNAP benefits. They also receive medicaid. The wait for subsidized housing is about 6 years. There are no apartments in Northern Nevada available for $383 a month, so mom has to either sofa surf or live in a weekly motel by selling her snap benefits for 50 cents on the dollar. Unless she has access to child care, how does she even look for a job?

Doesn't sound like a way of life that would remove incentive to work, does it? And these aren't 'lifetime' benefits, they are restricted in duration, in some states to as little as 12 months.
This right here is the definition of entitlement.

This lady gets free health insurance for her and her children (which for us costs over $1000) a month, plus an additional free $830 a month in cash and food, every month, for a year or more. That's a free $20K+ a year. She's not disabled, she's not old and feeble, she's just a mom. And you're using this as an example of "how can someone live like this, it's so little, it's not enough..."

Are you NUTS?

A free $20K a year and nothing physically wrong with her and you feel she's being mistreated and society is evil if we don't give her more? There is something so, so, wrong with this mentality, it's just baffling.

For heavens sake. Step 1) move out of northern Nevada to a place where you can rent an apartment for $383. She doesn't have a house to sell or a job to anchor her and her kids are young there is no reason in the world she can't just go. Step 2) start watching kids. Either at home or get a job at a daycare or other type of job where she can bring her kids. My friend brought her kids to work at a tanning salon, I know folks who worked in Mexican Resturants and brought their kids, the jobs are out there. Find one. Step 3) work hard and prosper.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:27 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
Honestly, I think you have to start shaming them yourself. Every time I see someone use their Link card I try and disparage them as much as possible. For the life of me, I think both food stamps and the electronic cards were horrible ideas. If we are forced to subsidize the nutrition of people at all, then I think it should be in the form of some bland, flavorless gruel that supplies all their nutritional needs. We certainly should not have welfare recipients shopping in the same stores as the people who are forced to support them. I want them so miserable and wallowing in despair and misery that there every thought is how do I lift myself out of this, not, gee this Pop-tart taste pretty good. ever look at what is in the shopping cart of people on public assistance; it is sickening.

They now have birth control shots - at a minimum they should be mandatory. I believe sterilization of both sexes should be a prerequisite for receiving welfare.
Wow! It's a good thing you have never gotten on my case about me using my EBT card. I would rip you a new one.

To begin with, I'm awaiting a decision on federal disability (been waiting since 2012). I can't work, so I received food stamps. So just seeing someone with an EBT card in hand doesn't mean they're lazy or not working from choice.

Secondly, my disability goes on my card, so you wouldn't know if I was using that or the food stamps.

Third, I have specifically learned to cook and now manage my food benefits very well, compared to when I used to run out at the end of the month. In fact, I probably cook more and am more frugal than a lot of people not receiving food stamps, including you.

I am in the Puget Sound area and anyone who is interested in how I shop and what I buy is welcome to go with me when the EBT benefits get put on. You can come see what's in MY cart and learn how the other half lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
In my kids public school there were children who mocked them for wearing cheap no-brand shoes, then had a free school provided lunch. Even at 8 my son was old enough to see the hypocrisy.

For every child who may go hungry if not for the school provided lunch, there are twenty who quite literally milk the system.

If you're wearing $300 worth of brand name attire, you should be denied a free lunch. But it doesn't work that way.
And how do you know those children weren't wearing shoes that weren't donated to them? A local church here has a "Day of Hope" where they gather all the donations of groceries, shoes, clothes, blankets, etc, and let people walk through and pick what they need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post

Oh good golly. In order to be able to use the G.I Bill you have to be a G.I. Which means you have to have put your life and limb on the line to defend the lives and freedoms of us Americans. Which means we, American citizens, PAID him for his services. He EARNED the G.I. Bill by being a soldier. He performed a SERVICE for the taxpayer, and was compensated accordingly. This wasn't a free handout or a grant.

For freak's sake get a clue.
Being in the military is a job, even according to them. It's a job I certainly appreciate them doing, but then I appreciate the fact that a cop or a firefighter also does his job, puts his life on the line every day, and isn't offered anything close to the GI bill.

And let's not forget that the many, many military members are on food stamps and welfare themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
It's called personal responsibility and keeping your damn legs closed. And maybe taking kids away isn't so bad. If you can't provide their basic needs you're an unfit parent. Mandatory birth control would be a plus.
Why do you think people reproduce in spite of poverty? Has it never occurred to you that some people were doing just fine until a sickness, or an accident, or a natural disaster happened and then all of a sudden they became the "poor people with kids they should never have had"? Not everyone can be a Walter White, you know. And what makes you think you're so different? Are you immune to anything bad happening in the world? Will your house never be destroyed by a flood, an earthquake, or a tornado? Will you never need to have cancer treatments? Will your kids never break a leg or get leukemia? Can you assure me you or anyone in your family will never be involved in a serious car accident? Hit by a drunk driver?

And what's with the "legs closed" remark, anyway? I thought it took two to tango. How about this: Maybe if every man used some personal responsibility and kept his zipper up, we wouldn't have the number of hungry children that we do.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

Why do you think people reproduce in spite of poverty? Has it never occurred to you that some people were doing just fine until a sickness, or an accident, or a natural disaster happened and then all of a sudden they became the "poor people with kids they should never have had"? Not everyone can be a Walter White, you know. And what makes you think you're so different? Are you immune to anything bad happening in the world? Will your house never be destroyed by a flood, an earthquake, or a tornado? Will you never need to have cancer treatments? Will your kids never break a leg or get leukemia? Can you assure me you or anyone in your family will never be involved in a serious car accident? Hit by a drunk driver?

And what's with the "legs closed" remark, anyway? I thought it took two to tango. How about this: Maybe if every man used some personal responsibility and kept his zipper up, we wouldn't have the number of hungry children that we do.
I don't think I was including people who are in poverty and receiving assistance due to illness, injury, or other major financial setbacks. Nice try. I have no problem in cases like this.

I also love the feminist comments that come up with this. I meant both genders need to keep their legs closed but I'll explain. It does take two to tango. She needs to close her legs and he needs to keep it in his pants. Happy?

And I have seen plenty of people who reproduce with wild abandon even though they can't afford it.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:12 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
And that's the way it works. Illegals are not eligible for welfare benefits, including SNAP. Next?
With all due respect Mattie and please feel free to correct me where you see fit...and really I don't know why we continue to do this (myself included, however, I have worked in the social aspects and have front line knowledge and experience of who gets what and especially how they receive it). None of this is personal, just my experiences in the agricultural industry.

If a family is headed by an Illegal (undocumented) mother with a child/children who have been born on U.S. soul...your know the rest. That mother is then "in charge" of managing the benefits of said child/children. If she proceeds to get pregnant again she will undoubtedly be eligible for benefits herself, pre-natal care, WIC, well baby etc., etc., etc.

For all intents and purposes the mothers are the "front men" and dad is very likely out of sight working a job bringing in the cash...the real "American Dream".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizrulesSD View Post
Illegals are eligible for a number of benefits including education, housing and healthcare. Those are the big 3 that cost tax payers. Not to mention they enjoy our roads, water, military, police, fire, etc without paying a dime into it.

These aren't engineers or other high skilled workers coming over who are going to pay taxes. As this thread discusses, these are individuals who are going to be on social services for their entire lives.
Quote:
Quote:
So you cherry picked the one paragraph included without documentation? Meanwhile, ignoring the fact that the undocumented immigrants earn less, and pay more in taxes than the average American worker? What are these "benefits" you are begrudging them? Not welfare or food stamps, because they aren't eligible.
Most Illegal Immigrant Families Collect Welfare

The study focused on eight major welfare programs that cost the government $517 billion the year they were examined. They include Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for the disabled, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), a nutritional program known as Women, Infants and Children (WIC), food stamps, free/reduced school lunch, public housing and health insurance for the poor (Medicaid).Food assistance and Medicaid are the programs most commonly used by illegal immigrants, mainly on behalf of their American-born children who get automatic citizenship.

Most Illegal Immigrant Families Collect Welfare - Judicial Watch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates