Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 02:38 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont see any evidence that children depend on these programs to keep from starving. As others have said its a duplicate program. Those that are poor receive food stamps. Can you site reports that indicated this county has a hunger/starvation problem. Studies I have read lean towards childhood obesity.

Our school district has a free breakfast and lunch for everyone program. It matters not what your income is. This summer my kid has been attending football practice every evening. The school provides food afterwards which I assume is from the summer feeding program as I have seen the bus. The coach makes (or tries to make) the players eat the food after practice. The schools receive federal funds for this program and if they dont show need they lose the money so they push the program.

A few years ago the school where my daughter lived had a free lunch program. We tried to find out exactly how much it cost. It was not easy to get the info. You would think that they would have some sort of spreadsheet or budget but they didnt. It was all mixed in with everything else. We finally got all the data and put it together and it was costing $12 for breakfast and $14 for Lunch. Breakfast usually consisted of something that looked like a fast food breakfast sandwich and lunch was a sandwich and bag of chips and a box of milk. Should have just have mcdonalds cater. It would have cost 1/3rd the price. A local caterer even offered to provide gourmet breakfast and lunch delivered for 30% less than what the school provided and the school wouldnt go for it.
Not so free. is it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 02:43 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The program you posted about is specifically for children. What should children do if thir parents are unable (for whatever reason) to feed them?
IF THEY CAN'T AFFORD lunch I might agree. (However, I really could care less if they eat or not.)
But here in ID, kids get a free lunch all summer long; REGARDLESS, if they are from a low income house or not. It is in city parks and you should see the number of brats that show up, the number of new PU trucks, Cadillacs, etc. that dump out the kids for free lunch.

I live in a neighborhood that is far from being low income; just the opposite. Woman three houses away sends her three brats up there for lunch while she lays by the pool with her friends. Husbands an attorney, so I doubt if they are LOW INCOME.
But we all end up paying for the people to drop more little brats and now it includes school.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:43 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
But if someone is disabled, and cannot work, and NEEDS money from the government to buy food and a place to live so that they don't die from starvation or exposure, and the government gives them the money for free, then that is a needs based program.

A needs based program is, quite simply, a program that re-distributes resources based on need and need only.

SSDI is absolutely a needs based program, it's like the ideal, by the book definition of a needs based program. There's nobody who more legitimately NEEDS support from the government more than the disabled who cannot work. How on earth do you not consider it needs based?
When you decided that SSDI is needs based, that tells me all I need to know about the futility of trying to have a discussion with you about this issue. You can get SSDI if you are a millionaire, you are eligible for SSDI if you have enough SS income There is no requirement that you NEED money in order to draw SSDI yet you want to call it welfare...

And of course you don't want to talk about unemployment insurance being included in your "welfare spending", you just blow that off...I guess that is some kind of welfare too, huh?

How odd to claim that programs that are not needs based are somehow 'welfare' and inherently bad because they are a redistribution of wealth, but you don't say a word about the big daddy of wealth redistribution, the enormous transfer of wealth from the middle class to the rich

Old 06-27-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
We finally got all the data and put it together and it was costing $12 for breakfast and $14 for Lunch. Breakfast usually consisted of something that looked like a fast food breakfast sandwich and lunch was a sandwich and bag of chips and a box of milk. Should have just have mcdonalds cater. It would have cost 1/3rd the price.
I'd love to see some proof of the claim of $12 breakfasts and $14 lunches but I'm thinking that I probably should not hold my breath waiting

Old 06-27-2016, 03:33 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
There is little evidence that their parents are unable to feed their children -- it is a matter of choices. The real issue is what should we do when parents choose to prioritize other expenditures (smart phones, netflix subscriptions, 22" spinners on the Escalade, etc) over the health and welfare of their children.

Moreover, there is ample evidence that childhood obesity -- too many calories and of the wrong kind -- is a much, much larger problem than childhood hunger -- too few calories.

What do you propose we do regarding parents who choose to feed their children far too many twinkies, pizza, smoothies, pasta and Coke as diet staples?
I know someone that volunteers at a food bank. She said the people coming in are looking for prepackaged quick things, sugary cereals etc. Food bank shoppers don't want oatmeal, rice, dried beans, bags of potatoes and other nutritious things that are cheap in bulk and can go a long way. Things we eat at my house plenty.

I don't think there is anything we can do about what someone else chooses to feed their kids. people don't learn to cook anymore and think its really hard and its not.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
IF THEY CAN'T AFFORD lunch I might agree. (However, I really could care less if they eat or not.)
But here in ID, kids get a free lunch all summer long; REGARDLESS, if they are from a low income house or not. It is in city parks and you should see the number of brats that show up, the number of new PU trucks, Cadillacs, etc. that dump out the kids for free lunch.

I live in a neighborhood that is far from being low income; just the opposite. Woman three houses away sends her three brats up there for lunch while she lays by the pool with her friends. Husbands an attorney, so I doubt if they are LOW INCOME.
But we all end up paying for the people to drop more little brats and now it includes school.
Yes, I'm in Idaho too. I know people that do this for something for kids to do in the summer. Just send them over or drive to the school. Free lunch and a playground. Has nothing to do with not enough food. I was talking to one of them on the phone once that asked me if I know where free lunch in on a certain day. I've never done it so I don't know. Gross. The last thing I want to do is eat in a school cafeteria. I don't have fond memories of it and I don't want a free lunch.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I know someone that volunteers at a food bank. She said the people coming in are looking for prepackaged quick things, sugary cereals etc. Food bank shoppers don't want oatmeal, rice, dried beans, bags of potatoes and other nutritious things that are cheap in bulk and can go a long way. Things we eat at my house plenty.

I don't think there is anything we can do about what someone else chooses to feed their kids. people don't learn to cook anymore and think its really hard and its not.
I've never see a food bank with the choice of foods that you are claiming, the ones I've seen might be giving out cases of canned garbanzo beans this week and 20 pounds of rice next week. Your's sounds like a commercial grocery store and that is very unusual.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I've never see a food bank with the choice of foods that you are claiming, the ones I've seen might be giving out cases of canned garbanzo beans this week and 20 pounds of rice next week. Your's sounds like a commercial grocery store and that is very unusual.
Never seen it either. What was told to me was that they come in asking for things other then what may be there or they refuse what is there if it is these dried staple things.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:56 PM

366 posts, read 493,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Wow come to my community. Seriously, they are like grocery stores. Here are a couple of photos:

The ever-expanding, all-encompassing, permanent and generational welfare class.-foodpantry.jpg
The ever-expanding, all-encompassing, permanent and generational welfare class.-foodpantry2.jpg

They also give food to illegal aliens even though they get tax money

I use to go to city council meetings and protest it and pointed out it is violation of Federal Law - turns out the mayor's wife is the Executive Director - LOL!

Last edited by usagisan; 06-27-2016 at 05:37 PM..

Old 06-27-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Never seen it either. What was told to me was that they come in asking for things other then what may be there or they refuse what is there if it is these dried staple things.
well I'm sure it didn't take them long to figure it out. I took some poor women to a food bank because they were supposed to be getting tuna, I drove them early & they were the first in line, no tuna but they each got half a case of canned okra ugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates