Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2016, 05:33 PM

300 posts, read 267,438 times

Advertisements

Liberalism made it racist to be proud of being white.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:42 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,492,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
China and Japan have been diversifying for decades now. Both countries have an insane amount of foreign investments. Both countries do a ton of business outside of theirr borders. Japan has been doing business with the Western world for nearly a century now. China has been letting non Chinese comapnies do business with them for years, and relies heavily on foreign investments to sustain it's economy. While these countries definitely do have a distinct culture, they've had foreigners who lived among them for decades now. My boss (a white guy) lived in Japan and China for 8 years before getting home sick, and he could still live there today if he wanted to. There are some anti-foreign sentiments in both countries, but for the cities with major economies they're heavily diverse. Shanghai and Tokyo are full of foreigners.

Actually the example of a country that is closed off to foreigners would be Iraq or Saudi Arabia. this is what white and black nationalism would like in practice. Basically the USA created an industry for them (oil), and outside of that they have no economy.
Both Chinese and Japanese societies are, by any measure, mono-cultural. There is no discernible racial diversity to speak of in either. Yet, both are global economic leaders.
Look, we've all placed our foot in our mouth at one time or another, so I'm not gonna beat you up over it, and I'm willing drop it. The fact remains though, as China and Japan demonstrate, competing effectively in a global market does not require having a diverse society.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:33 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedownlow View Post
Last I check, my Irish-American friends are proud their Irish roots. My Italian-American friends are proud of their Italian roots. Somehow, I disagree with you.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
And I don't doubt that's true. I've met a number of people who would say diversity has been net positive for them personally. How diversity impacts someone is going to be determined by a number of different factors. The middle-class, Philadelphia/NY/DC suburbanite commuting in and out of the city every day on public transportation is naturally going to have a different perspective than the Boise housewife with a Kenyan neighbor. Our own personal experiences mean very little in the context of this conversation. Look at the bigger picture. What effect have non-whites had upon our violent crime rates, and the costs to address them? The gross burden on our government expenditures(your tax obligation) via social entitlement programs? The "dumbing down" of our public school curriculum, etc.? I could name 20 more things that will directly and negatively impact you and/or your children as a result of the US's "commitment to diversity". Wake up!

But as I told the other poster, we're getting off topic, so if you'd like to debate the merits of diversity, please start another thread.
Well, here is something about me. I see the best and the worst everyday living in metro Atlanta. I have Black co-workers and White co-workers. We're all professionals. I still keep in contact with old friends of mine from college, who are of different ethnicities.

And I look at things like this. If I'm around a bunch of underclass types, of course my quality of life will suffer. I see underclass Blacks around the part of town where I work. I go home and I see alot of underclass Whites. Neither do anything for my quality of life. I work in one place, live in another place, and hang out in other places. The redneck is no less a threat to me as the underclass hood rat from the ghetto, as I've been assaulted by both.

I've never been harmed by diversity. I've been harmed by people who don't treat me with respect. I've been harmed by people who had a bigoted attitude towards me. It has been people who were underclass criminals that didn't care. I remember working in a restaurant and I was one of maybe 2 or 3 Blacks among a mainly Hispanic staff. I still remember getting hit with racial jokes and slurs by some of the staff. I eventually left that job. Contrast that to Hispanic persons I went to college with, who I became friends with. Had no issues there.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:57 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedownlow View Post
Has "white pride" ever been anything but a total contrivance? That's why it's so problematic, and why white nationalism has been around for decades but has accomplished absolutely nothing.

Ethnic pride is much better. I'm very proud of my roots. But whiteness to me is more of a biological concept.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Has "white pride" ever been anything but a total contrivance? That's why it's so problematic, and why white nationalism has been around for decades but has accomplished absolutely nothing.

Ethnic pride is much better. I'm very proud of my roots. But whiteness to me is more of a biological concept.
Well, I can say this. I have not met anyone who wasn't proud to be English, Irish, German, Polish, Italian, Greek, French, etc. In fact, on St. Patricks Day, everyone wants to be Irish.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:05 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
Both Chinese and Japanese societies are, by any measure, mono-cultural. There is no discernible racial diversity to speak of in either. Yet, both are global economic leaders.
Look, we've all placed our foot in our mouth at one time or another, so I'm not gonna beat you up over it, and I'm willing drop it. The fact remains though, as China and Japan demonstrate, competing effectively in a global market does not require having a diverse society.
And you overlook that before China started with foreign investment it was basically a nothing country economically. IT wasn't until foreign investment started pouring is when China started to pick up economically. Foreigners do live in China. I've worked with companies that have American staff in China. If you say "mono-cultural" then yes China is. But it is also ethnically diverse, just not to the extent of the USA and other Western countries. Yet it has growing diversity, and with it's diversity it has become far more relevant. The same can be said of Japan, to an ever greater extent.

Listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2K-_LF6zuc

This is Chinese R & B, and it's HUGE in China. Music is a huge part of culture, and it appear that they've taken American music as a cultural norm.

Now listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq12WZyDayA

This is Japanese disco from 1978.

They don't seem to be totally free of foreign influence, and their cultures are no longer traditionally Japanese or Chinese.

You can find many many more homogeneous cultures that are struggling for relevance on a global scale. It's so funny how China and Japan is always the go to example for how ethno-nationalism works. Yet they don't look at Pakistan, Iraq, Eastern Europe which are much MORE closed off, has way LESS foreign involvement, and have a lot less migration to their countries.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Freedom of association in the US died with the Civil Rights Act. Being forced to associated with others is not freedom.

Both China and Japan are very homogeneous societies within the global market. How well do you think they're competing?
Being told "you're not allowed here because you're a certain ethnicity" isn't freedom either. Interracial marriage being illegal was not freedom. Civil Rights Act was the best thing that happened. Everyone has the same rights as a result. I can vote as a result.

Diverse Singapore has one of the highest GDP PPP per capita in the world, higher than the USA. It ranks 3rd. USA ranks 10th. China ranks 84th. China also has some severe pollution issues and government problems I wouldn't want to deal with.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, here is something about me. I see the best and the worst everyday living in metro Atlanta. I have Black co-workers and White co-workers. We're all professionals. I still keep in contact with old friends of mine from college, who are of different ethnicities.

And I look at things like this. If I'm around a bunch of underclass types, of course my quality of life will suffer. I see underclass Blacks around the part of town where I work. I go home and I see alot of underclass Whites. Neither do anything for my quality of life. I work in one place, live in another place, and hang out in other places. The redneck is no less a threat to me as the underclass hood rat from the ghetto, as I've been assaulted by both.

I've never been harmed by diversity. I've been harmed by people who don't treat me with respect. I've been harmed by people who had a bigoted attitude towards me. It has been people who were underclass criminals that didn't care. I remember working in a restaurant and I was one of maybe 2 or 3 Blacks among a mainly Hispanic staff. I still remember getting hit with racial jokes and slurs by some of the staff. I eventually left that job. Contrast that to Hispanic persons I went to college with, who I became friends with. Had no issues there.
And that's all great. Your experience with diversity has been positive, but as I said, our personal experiences are meaningless here. Every race has good and bad people within it; no one would deny this. That doesn't prevent us from making fair and honest generalizations about an entire group. You've not addressed any of the issues I've raised. I would argue that the effect of diversity upon the vast majority of white people in this country and their communities has been overwhelmingly negative. But again, that's for a different thread.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
And you overlook that before China started with foreign investment it was basically a nothing country economically. IT wasn't until foreign investment started pouring is when China started to pick up economically. Foreigners do live in China. I've worked with companies that have American staff in China. If you say "mono-cultural" then yes China is. But it is also ethnically diverse, just not to the extent of the USA and other Western countries. Yet it has growing diversity, and with it's diversity it has become far more relevant. The same can be said of Japan, to an ever greater extent.

Listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2K-_LF6zuc

This is Chinese R & B, and it's HUGE in China. Music is a huge part of culture, and it appear that they've taken American music as a cultural norm.

Now listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq12WZyDayA

This is Japanese disco from 1978.

They don't seem to be totally free of foreign influence, and their cultures are no longer traditionally Japanese or Chinese.

You can find many many more homogeneous cultures that are struggling for relevance on a global scale. It's so funny how China and Japan is always the go to example for how ethno-nationalism works. Yet they don't look at Pakistan, Iraq, Eastern Europe which are much MORE closed off, has way LESS foreign involvement, and have a lot less migration to their countries.
Of course foreigners live in China. Foreigners live in virtually every country. I never argued that China or Japan are free of American or other foreign influence. Both China and Japan are 95+% Asian. Again, by any measure, they are NOT ethnically diverse. You seem to be implying though that their "growing diversity" is somehow responsible for their economic prosperity. It isn't.
Your mention of Pakistan, Iraq, etc. is meaningless. No one has suggested that homogeneity is a guarantee or even a requirement of prosperity. You declared that a homogeneous nation could not compete effectively in the global market. This is a foolish notion, and I cited two clear examples which prove you wrong; very wrong. A state that is all Black, all White, or all Asian can just as easily compete in the global market as a more diverse one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates