Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 07:26 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
Actually, unless I am mistaken the TSA and "all those services" put toward preventing terrorist attacks now have, with documented proof, severed the interest of the United States of America in preventing Multiple FOREIGN terrorist attacks and threats. The latter is a bit vague, but the former can be seen directly in chemical weapons confiscated or individuals on terrorist watch list being unable to fly.

As for Orlando, I don't call that a terrorist attack. That was a tragic shooting...the worst in USA history, but a shooting nonetheless. Similarly to that guy in Norway who shot and killed hundreds.
What chemical weapons have been confiscated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 08:12 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I'm not in a bunker jack . Give me a break. Nobody said we aren't doing anything to stop them. I'm saying we aren't doing enough to stop them. And yes DHS , CIA NSA and FBI have done a lot to stop terrorist attacks. But we need to do more. Right now there is not enough law enforcement manpower to guard every soft target in the USA. There just arent enough LEO personnel. They (terrorists) aren't stupid. They are going to hit soft targets like they already did like office buildings, bars, restaurants, smaller venue concerts. Eventually malls and bus stations. Areas where they know people are defenseless and help isn't going to get there that fast and even if it does, these people are committed to harm others and don't care if they die. Why hit those type of targets? Because it's easy. If you look at Israel, France, Britain, what's happening there is starting to happen here. Look at the crazies that blew themselves up at that soccer match or went on shooting rampages in France.
Wanna read some scary stuff.. Read Crisis of Character. I just tore through it in two days. The section about Air Marshal service is interesting. There was a guy who built a team of special forces that probed Navy bases for security. He wrote a book about it. He said security was pitiful. The book was Red Cell. Read it sometime.
But theres ALWAYS going to be soft targets. You can't expect to have trained, armed personnel on guard everywhere 10 or more people happen to be, and ready to handle all types of situations. You're not going to prepare for the potential of individuals making easy attacks everywhere they could; Every grocery store, restaurant, gas station, etc, etc, etc.....

The sad part is these suicide bombers, the ones wearing the vests, are doing this for the money and the religious belief is just what tells them its ok. The only way you're going to end this, is to stop the few who are in charge and change the mindset of everyone else. People here, need to stop getting scared, and start getting pissed off. People there need to realize its not worth it. We have been trying to just give them more money then what is being offered to blow themselves up, its not working well. Not sure if they don't know or if they feel there is a bigger threat locally. I think we need to be the bigger threat. If a family member was hiding a criminal here, we would press charges..

Old 07-04-2016, 08:21 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
The fact that we hire idiots for the TSA when there are plenty of intelligent people who want such jobs is proof that we aren't making a serious effort against terrorism.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:14 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
"Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslim."

That is the crux of the matter. If you want to stamp out terrorism, you have to stamp out Islam, frankly, or at the least keep it contained and well monitored, and that isn't something that politically correct people want to hear. I have lost count how many times an ISIS or Al Qaida linked member was also going to a local mosque that had a radical leader, or became radicalized due to the religious teachings they were getting. Or how many mosques are fronts for illegal money laundering for terrorists, etc.

Crack down on all known terrorist sites and sympathizer sites. We could do that rather easily, but we don't. We can cut off vast sections of the internet, shut down their ability to reach new members, but we don't because that would be against our values of freedom of religion and speech.

Terrorism isn't going anywhere until you can marginalize Islam and its followers. There are many good followers of Islam who want the same things we want, a family, good job, safety and security. Unfortunately there are way too many bad seeds claiming the same religion that I personally don't see how the religion can continue when there are so many violent factions within it.

The Arab world is lagging about 2-300 years behind the rest of us in societal development. I don't think we are willing to put up with it that long until they get their collective asses together.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:00 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
If real police state mentality worked, then a police that is a police state would have not terrorism Russia has just as many attacks of not more.

Now if you'd like to turn into the ultimate isolationist police state like Nazi Germany or North Korea, you could probably stop 99%, but would you really like living in a place like that?

Old 07-04-2016, 12:57 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,067 times
The trend today is for knee jerk reactions and unfortunately policy like the Patriot Act and TSA come from that (ironically pushed by the "small government party). Same with "gun control" (something the democrats need to mostly drop except for closing a few loopholes) which will ban a few rounds from a magazine or not let you have a stock that is 3 inches as long. Simply stupid legislation that does nothing but expand the bureaucratic nonsense we thrive on.

As for the whole "not all Muslims are terrorists but all terrorists are Muslims" that has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read. I don't much care for people from certain parts of the Middle East not because they are all terrorists or Muslims but because they integrate very poorly with our society and we have plenty of other cultures that do integrate well. I don't fear them because they are going to blow people up, I don't fear them at all, I just don't want people here that refuse to integrate because their Sky Prophet told them to kill infidels or they want to mutilate their daughters parts, stone woman etc because Sharia. There are plenty of good reasons to restrict their access to the USA and terrorism shouldn't even be on the list. People that can demonstrate they aren't retarded about their beliefs should be welcomed here with open arms.

Anyway, Timothy McVeigh and others show how stupid "all terrorists are Muslims" statement is. Stop saying ridiculous things.

Last edited by aridon; 07-04-2016 at 01:35 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 01:56 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuatson View Post
Say after 9/11 the TSA didn't exist, as well as any beefing up of security to any of our intelligence agencies existed, do you think we would have had any more terrorist attacks or do you feel that all the security measures we have had since 9/11 have been completely pointless?
The TSA is the biggest mistake of the GW Bush administration. We are so damned stupid about security because of Political Correctness. They could have implemented a security system similar to the Israelis for a fraction of the cost. I have a difficult time believing our leaders can be so stupid accidentally. It has to be by design.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:31 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
Anyway, Timothy McVeigh and others show how stupid "all terrorists are Muslims" statement is. Stop saying ridiculous things.
By all means, tell us about all of these "others." Actually, why don't you just count the number of terrorist attacks around the world during the past month and tell me how many of them were NOT Muslims, hmm?

Don't bother, go ahead and tuck your tail between your legs in embarrassment and next time, think before you speak.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
Actually, unless I am mistaken the TSA and "all those services" put toward preventing terrorist attacks now have, with documented proof, severed the interest of the United States of America in preventing Multiple FOREIGN terrorist attacks and threats. The latter is a bit vague, but the former can be seen directly in chemical weapons confiscated or individuals on terrorist watch list being unable to fly.

As for Orlando, I don't call that a terrorist attack. That was a tragic shooting...the worst in USA history, but a shooting nonetheless. Similarly to that guy in Norway who shot and killed hundreds.
As horrible as the two attacks in Norway were, let's keep this in perspective with facts. 77 people died in those attacks, not hundreds.

330 though were injured, 67 seriously.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:00 PM

52 posts, read 44,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is really insane when you think about how a small group of terrorists from a country most people had never heard of hatched a brilliant plan to hijack planes and use them as missiles and how their actions has cost us trillions and has changed how we live everyday.
So insane, in fact, that it almost doesn't seem very plausible, does it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates