Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 04:05 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is really insane when you think about how a small group of terrorists from a country most people had never heard of hatched a brilliant plan to hijack planes and use them as missiles and how their actions has cost us trillions and has changed how we live everyday.

They were all Saudi Arabian nationals. Hardly a small country no one ever heard of. Afghanistan was their playground and not their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 08:54 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
"Not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are Muslim."

That is the crux of the matter. If you want to stamp out terrorism, you have to stamp out Islam, frankly, or at the least keep it contained and well monitored, and that isn't something that politically correct people want to hear. I have lost count how many times an ISIS or Al Qaida linked member was also going to a local mosque that had a radical leader, or became radicalized due to the religious teachings they were getting. Or how many mosques are fronts for illegal money laundering for terrorists, etc.

Crack down on all known terrorist sites and sympathizer sites. We could do that rather easily, but we don't. We can cut off vast sections of the internet, shut down their ability to reach new members, but we don't because that would be against our values of freedom of religion and speech.

Terrorism isn't going anywhere until you can marginalize Islam and its followers. There are many good followers of Islam who want the same things we want, a family, good job, safety and security. Unfortunately there are way too many bad seeds claiming the same religion that I personally don't see how the religion can continue when there are so many violent factions within it.

The Arab world is lagging about 2-300 years behind the rest of us in societal development. I don't think we are willing to put up with it that long until they get their collective asses together.
I couldn't disagree with that more. Do you think there are no DOMESTIC terrorists in this country trying to force their beliefs on our citizens? No Neo-Nazis? No white supremacists? No religious fundamentalists enslaving women and children under threat of violence? What about the Bundy gang that took over the bird sanctuary recently? That wasn't anti-American? That was the nation's property they desecrated. What about the racist Dylan Roof slaughtering kind, sincere churchgoers who had welcomed him to their midst to share their beliefs with him? What about the men who blew up the Oklahoma City federal building? That wasn't a terrorist act?

I'm glad you know "how many mosques are fronts for illegal money laundering for terrorists" because I'm sure the FBI would like to see your list. Islam is a religion and we have freedom of religion in this country. If we were to treat its adherents as you suggest we would be no better than the Muslim terrorists you're so afraid of.

The Southern Poverty Law Center, which has a better handle on hate in America than most law enforcement organizations, currently has 892 U.S.-based organizations on its hate list. They are not all engaging in violence or criminal activities but they meet the definition of having "beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people, typically for immutable characteristics." Some of these groups ARE Muslims. Some are black separatists. Some are racist skinheads. Others are Ku Klux Klan, Christian identity groups, holocaust deniers, immigrant haters.

Read this list a political scientist compiled of what characteristics constitute Fascism and tell me what/who it reminds you of:
*Fourteen Defining Characteristics Of Fascism

Old 07-04-2016, 09:13 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuatson View Post
Say after 9/11 the TSA didn't exist, as well as any beefing up of security to any of our intelligence agencies existed, do you think we would have had any more terrorist attacks or do you feel that all the security measures we have had since 9/11 have been completely pointless?
Not sure but one thing is clear. There is a stark contrast in the state of nations internal security between Bush and Obama. All during the Bush years people were wondering why the middle east terrorism isn't coming here. Well, it did but after he left. I don't know what happened during the Obama years that the floodgates opened.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:59 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I couldn't disagree with that more. Do you think there are no DOMESTIC terrorists in this country trying to force their beliefs on our citizens? No Neo-Nazis? No white supremacists? No religious fundamentalists enslaving women and children under threat of violence? What about the Bundy gang that took over the bird sanctuary recently? That wasn't anti-American? That was the nation's property they desecrated. What about the racist Dylan Roof slaughtering kind, sincere churchgoers who had welcomed him to their midst to share their beliefs with him? What about the men who blew up the Oklahoma City federal building? That wasn't a terrorist act?
You can disagree with it all you want, you'll be wrong no matter what.

Ok, let me soothe your tender sensibilities since you seem to take what I said literally.

"Not all Muslims are terrorists, but 99% of terrorists are Muslim."

Does that make you feel better sweetie?

Same question to you that I gave to the other poster... Count how many terrorist attacks have occurred during the past month around the world and tell me how many of them were from non Muslims.

Doubt I'll hear any more from you on the subject.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:19 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
But theres ALWAYS going to be soft targets. You can't expect to have trained, armed personnel on guard everywhere 10 or more people happen to be, and ready to handle all types of situations. You're not going to prepare for the potential of individuals making easy attacks everywhere they could; Every grocery store, restaurant, gas station, etc, etc, etc.....

The sad part is these suicide bombers, the ones wearing the vests, are doing this for the money and the religious belief is just what tells them its ok. The only way you're going to end this, is to stop the few who are in charge and change the mindset of everyone else. People here, need to stop getting scared, and start getting pissed off. People there need to realize its not worth it. We have been trying to just give them more money then what is being offered to blow themselves up, its not working well. Not sure if they don't know or if they feel there is a bigger threat locally. I think we need to be the bigger threat. If a family member was hiding a criminal here, we would press charges..
I never said that you'll be able to protect everywhere everytime. Hell that is impossible. There isn't enough military or LEO personnel to do that.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:50 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I never said that you'll be able to protect everywhere everytime. Hell that is impossible. There isn't enough military or LEO personnel to do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I'm not in a bunker jack . Give me a break. Nobody said we aren't doing anything to stop them. I'm saying we aren't doing enough to stop them. And yes DHS , CIA NSA and FBI have done a lot to stop terrorist attacks. But we need to do more. Right now there is not enough law enforcement manpower to guard every soft target in the USA. There just arent enough LEO personnel. They (terrorists) aren't stupid. They are going to hit soft targets like they already did like office buildings, bars, restaurants, smaller venue concerts. Eventually malls and bus stations. Areas where they know people are defenseless and help isn't going to get there that fast and even if it does, these people are committed to harm others and don't care if they die. Why hit those type of targets? Because it's easy. If you look at Israel, France, Britain, what's happening there is starting to happen here. Look at the crazies that blew themselves up at that soccer match or went on shooting rampages in France.
Wanna read some scary stuff.. Read Crisis of Character. I just tore through it in two days. The section about Air Marshal service is interesting. There was a guy who built a team of special forces that probed Navy bases for security. He wrote a book about it. He said security was pitiful. The book was Red Cell. Read it sometime.
So what are you saying??

Your stance seems to be that we need to be more defensive.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:28 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuatson View Post
Say after 9/11 the TSA didn't exist, as well as any beefing up of security to any of our intelligence agencies existed, do you think we would have had any more terrorist attacks or do you feel that all the security measures we have had since 9/11 have been completely pointless?

I'm not sure if you are talking about the same TSA but in tests 95% of the planted weapons were not found.

TSA Chief Out After Agents Fail 95 Percent of Airport Breach Tests - NBC News

Do I think we would of had more attacks without the added security? Yeah most likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates