Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 09:07 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Don't answer your door. Screen your calls. End of.
Wire the doorbell with 220v. Put a pressure plate under the doormat, rigged to fuze a claymore. Keep rabid honey badgers in your yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 09:24 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Yes, except for maybe girl scout cookies. Those samoas are good.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:36 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Should door to door solicitation be illegal? As well as telemarketers that call you at home?
Nobody ever wants to be bothered, and in this day and age nobody should have a stranger approach their front door trying to sell them something they don't want.
As long as a ban would include religious proselytizers, yes. If not, no.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:39 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why should Girl Scouts be exempt ?

If a law is good for the goose it's good for the gander.

NO EXCEPTIONS to the rule !

Old 09-02-2016, 09:44 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Why should Girl Scouts be exempt ?

If a law is good for the goose it's good for the gander.

NO EXCEPTIONS to the rule !
...besides, the pricing keeps going up and the number of servings keeps going down.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:10 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The same goes for proselytizers. Add them to the list. Nobody should have to put up with strangers pushing their religion.
Funny you should say that. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I served a mission for the Church in Iowa. Loved the people and the state and still do to this day. beautiful place.

Saying all that, we knew back then in the mid 80's that our biggest waste of time was knocking on peoples doors. As Missionaries we are sent to teach people that want to be taught. It was so much easier when a member of the Church had a friend or family member that was interested in learning about the Church.

Recently in our area the Mission President has said that the Missionaries will no longer be going door to door to find people. It is up to the members to find people for the Missionaries. I don't know if this is Church wide but it is something that is happening here. You are so right, people do not want something forced on them. When people are genuinely interested then that is much different.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:14 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Yep. It's trespassing. If you weren't invited, keep out, you don't have any right to come on my property and annoy/disturb me. Plus, it's rude. Many people work odd hours now, and may be sleeping during odd hours. I don't like being woken up by [unprintables] with a pitch.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:21 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Should door to door solicitation be illegal? As well as telemarketers that call you at home?
Nobody ever wants to be bothered, and in this day and age nobody should have a stranger approach their front door trying to sell them something they don't want.
This day and age? What's so different about "this day and age" compared to others?

It's just a sidewalk and a door. If you don't want anyone walking on the sidewalk or knocking on the door, put up some signs and don't answer the door. It's really simple.

We already have more than enough laws in this country controlling or prohibiting silly-assed, penny-ante crap that just doesn't matter. Why do we have to have more laws protecting us from every single thing, when all we really have to do is not answer the door - just like people have been doing for a century or more? Why does every single trivial little thing that people don't like need to have a law making it illegal? Enough already. Just deal with your life and move on.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:22 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,389 times
My city has a "no knock" registry that solicitors are required to obey. They have to get a permit to solicit door to door, and they can be ticketed if they approach a home that is registered.

I don't think telemarketing or door-to-door sales should be illegal, but I do like having the option to opt out of either one.

I will say that in practice the no call list does not work too well. The no-knock registry in my city does okay as we are issued window stickers that advertise it.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:24 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I seek them out, no need to come to my door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates