Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 10:45 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I am on the no call list
I still get that robo call that says.........." we have examined your credit cards and there are no overdue payments. However, we can lower your interest rates . press 1 "
If I had $5000 every time I received THAT call ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 11:15 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I know you're joking, but...
Umm... yeah. Joking ... That's it, joking.
Quote:

I grew up in the 1950s when we still had metal milk boxes out on our porches for milk delivery. Problem was that dogs would sometimes come up on the porches and pee on milk boxes. A neighbor hooked his milk box up to electricity...and the next dog that came along was electrocuted. That resulted in a lawsuit.
These days it would result in a viral video.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:20 AM

922 posts, read 791,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post

If I had a young child, i would not hesitate for a second to let her wait for the bus alone. In fact, i would encourage it, because that's part of growing up into an independent, self-sufficient adult. I walked 6 blocks to school from kindergarten through 4th grade, and then waited by myself for the bus (or sometimes walked 3/4 of a mile to the bus stop) the rest of my school days. Children today are just as safe as I was.
Ever hear of Etan Patz? Wanted to walk a couple blocks to school, so his parents let him. They never found his body. Or the little girl in Colorado walking to school. They found her dismembered body in a field.

I am 60 years old. When I was a kid, I played outside, roamed the neighborhood and walked to school by myself. I don't know where you live, but if I had young children I would NEVER let them go anywhere by themselves. Times are different now, whether you believe it or not. I didn't let my kids go anywhere by themselves either when they were young, and we lived in a nice neighborhood. My grandkids are watched like a hawk.

It would be nice if the world was like it was when I was a kid, but it's not. Kids aren't safe, and it's getting to where adults aren't either.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:35 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times
As much as I dislike them, the answer is no. Post a no soliciting sign and deal accordingly after that.

As for the telemarket callers, that is a different animal. The privacy of a phone line should be protected in the same way as any other private means of communication. The "no soliciting" sign would have to be enacted in some sort of legal/technological way in that scenario.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:37 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Should door to door solicitation be illegal? As well as telemarketers that call you at home?
Nobody ever wants to be bothered, and in this day and age nobody should have a stranger approach their front door trying to sell them something they don't want.
Well, I'm not sure how door-to-door solicitation isn't already illegal given it's trespassing.

Yes, telemarketing needs to end right the eff now.
It's a freakin' scourge and most are outright scams.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:40 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, I'm not sure how door-to-door solicitation isn't already illegal given it's trespassing.

Yes, telemarketing needs to end right the eff now.
It's a freakin' scourge and most are outright scams.
If your property is marked with no trespassing signs it's not trespassing in any state I know of.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
After I put a sign under the doorbell stating "no soliciting", only 1 doorbell ring in a year. I was getting 3 or 4 a year prior to that. By law, they are supposed to obey the sign.

Ours doesn't work.
I don't see how they miss it given that it's RIGHT OVER THE DOORBELL.
It's illegal to solicit if there is a visible sign.
When I tell them, they say, "No, it's not, because we're a. religious b. have some kind of permit from the city c. are too stupid to live, etc."
(Btw, my sign also says no religious people.)

I mean, what kind of dunderhead rings the doorbell despite a freakin' sign REGARDLESS of the law?

Old 09-03-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
If your property is marked with no trespassing signs it's not trespassing in any state I know of.
Some states require a sign and others state it can be claimed any time there isn't expressed consent for the person to be there (whether or not there is a fence/gate).

In Texas, you need a sign or purple paint on your tree.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Not everything annoying should be illegal. Laws should be reserved for things that are serious not just bothersome.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:07 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Why should Girl Scouts be exempt ?

If a law is good for the goose it's good for the gander.

NO EXCEPTIONS to the rule !
Girl Scouts are ganders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates