Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 06:27 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Yes! I don't appreciate anyone ringing my doorbell unexpectedly, especially strangers trying to con me into something.

I must say that hit on a solution though for keeping Jehovah Witness solicitors away. I had them knocking on my door two years in a row when we moved into our new house.

I very nicely asked them if my address/name was on some kind of list and if it was, to please remove it.

I haven't seen them since! I'm not sure if this would work for everyone, but it's worth a try.
My friend got a pretty stone fountain with a large Wiccan pentagram carved into it, and placed it near her front door. No more religious solicitations, and the salesmen tended to back off too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 06:28 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,725 times
After I put a sign under the doorbell stating "no soliciting", only 1 doorbell ring in a year. I was getting 3 or 4 a year prior to that. By law, they are supposed to obey the sign.

the no soliciting signs at the entrance to the development do not hold the same legal implications.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:55 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,603 times
Too bad there's no "No Soliciting" sign equivalent for my telephone. The DNC Registry only goes so far. I screen my calls, but that doesn't make the ringing phone any less of an interruption.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:58 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,023 times
There are target silhouettes in our front and back windows, with the center thoroughly punched. We call it "burglar alarming" but it works on other intruders as well.

Old 09-03-2016, 07:09 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
NoMoRoBo.com (free for land lines) works for us.

As for the proselytizers:
Yep! Just ask my Great Danes

Old 09-03-2016, 08:51 AM

5,513 posts, read 7,106,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post
(and got similar attitudes from two previous encounters with guys who were trying to sell subscriptions outside the nearby grocery store)

I hate that too!

You can't walk into a Costco, BJ's, Lowes without some person calling you over to explain some "great news"

Leave me the hell alone!

Old 09-03-2016, 09:34 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Yep! And most call center workers dread being forced to weave a sales pitch into their contacts with the public. It demeans both the caller and the CSR, and sets you up for increased "handle times", which are often used as a measure of productivity. And Lord help you if your personal sense of ethics is at odds with an "always be closing" mentality.
I sort of enjoy the many calls we get here (windy Colorado Springs) from roofers. They always start with,

"We're going to be on your block in a couple of days working on roofs, and we'd like to offer you a free roof inspection."

Me: "You're a liar."

"What?"

Me: "You're a f------ liar. You are not going to be on my block this week working on roofs."

"Yes we are."

"You're a liar. All our roofs are managed and repaired by our HOA. No independent roofers work here on individual townhouses. So, you're a liar."

Abrupt hangup. It's fun!

Old 09-03-2016, 09:36 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Yep! Just ask my Great Danes
Ala Snackbar!

Old 09-03-2016, 10:38 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Wire the doorbell with 220v. Put a pressure plate under the doormat, rigged to fuze a claymore. Keep rabid honey badgers in your yard.
I know you're joking, but...

I grew up in the 1950s when we still had metal milk boxes out on our porches for milk delivery. Problem was that dogs would sometimes come up on the porches and pee on milk boxes. A neighbor hooked his milk box up to electricity...and the next dog that came along was electrocuted. That resulted in a lawsuit.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:40 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,940 times
I am on the no call list
I still get that robo call that says.........." we have examined your credit cards and there are no overdue payments. However, we can lower your interest rates . press 1 "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates