Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 10:54 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,823 times

Advertisements

I agree with the people that screen their calls and put a "No Solicitation" sign on the door. I haven't had a problem with unsolicited door knocks or unwanted calls.

One thing that people may want to keep in mind is that, if people could not make a living through these sales channels, they simply wouldn't do it. There are a fair amount of people that do purchase items through door to door or telemarketing to keep these companies going. Also, there are low entry points to getting this type of employment. I would rather see someone doing this than collecting from the government, but that is JMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 11:08 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Don't answer your door. Screen your calls. End of.
Right. If I'm not expecting someone, I don't answer the doorbell. Really, it's as much a safety measure as anything else.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:16 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I agree with the people that screen their calls and put a "No Solicitation" sign on the door. I haven't had a problem with unsolicited door knocks or unwanted calls.

One thing that people may want to keep in mind is that, if people could not make a living through these sales channels, they simply wouldn't do it. There are a fair amount of people that do purchase items through door to door or telemarketing to keep these companies going. Also, there are low entry points to getting this type of employment. I would rather see someone doing this than collecting from the government, but that is JMO.
That's the strangest rationalization for this intrusive behavior I've seen. People knock on my door expecting me to buy things from them after they've interrupted what I'm doing? Go the (naughty word, Captain!) away. And if you're peddling your imaginary friend then things will get out of hand even quicker. I don't shop at home except by my own volition, and I certainly don't need people coming to my door to rescue me from their imaginary friend.

Oh, and the folks who sell knives and such door to door, they're the best customer of the people who make that stuff. Actual sales are small. "Demonstrator" sales are how they stay in business. It's a scam.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:16 AM

5,520 posts, read 7,114,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
This day and age? What's so different about "this day and age" compared to others?

What's different about this day and age you ask? It's a matter of safety. Do you let your child walk to school? Or wait at the bus stop alone? We're in a different age now, what rock did you crawl from under?

It's just a sidewalk and a door. If you don't want anyone walking on the sidewalk or knocking on the door, put up some signs and don't answer the door. It's really simple.

I don't have sidewalks, They walk up my driveway, stand on my porch and can see in the windows, I like my privacy, is that too much?

We already have more than enough laws in this country controlling or prohibiting silly-assed, penny-ante crap that just doesn't matter. Why do we have to have more laws protecting us from every single thing, when all we really have to do is not answer the door - just like people have been doing for a century or more? Why does every single trivial little thing that people don't like need to have a law making it illegal? Enough already. Just deal with your life and move on.
Maybe doesn't matter to you, but the majority of posters seem to disagree, so deal with your own life and move on yourself wise guy!

Old 09-02-2016, 11:48 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,918,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Maybe doesn't matter to you, but the majority of posters seem to disagree, so deal with your own life and move on yourself wise guy!
Exactly, these days are different and consumers can make purchases from a myriad of retail stores, online entities or a variety of interpersonal networks. There is simply no need for someone to go around knocking on doors to drum up a sale (or trouble!).

Old 09-02-2016, 11:55 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
What's different about this day and age you ask? It's a matter of safety. Do you let your child walk to school? Or wait at the bus stop alone? We're in a different age now, what rock did you crawl from under?
You don't appear to know what you're talking about, and you're becoming hysterical. "A matter of safety?" I suppose next you're going to start shrieking that crime is skyrocketing and kids are getting snatched off of street corners right and left.

Fact is, crime is actually down, and people are in no more danger from strangers than they were 30, 50, or 60 years ago. The only difference is that people - well, some people - are more afraid of the world they live in. Turn off the 24-hour headline "news" stations and do some actual research.

If I had a young child, i would not hesitate for a second to let her wait for the bus alone. In fact, i would encourage it, because that's part of growing up into an independent, self-sufficient adult. I walked 6 blocks to school from kindergarten through 4th grade, and then waited by myself for the bus (or sometimes walked 3/4 of a mile to the bus stop) the rest of my school days. Children today are just as safe as I was.

And, your home is just as safe today as it was 40 or 50 years ago. If you're more afraid for your safety than you were then, that doesn't mean things are more dangerous - that just means you're more afraid. That's your problem to deal with - we don't need to pass new laws just because you're afraid for no good reason.

Quote:
"Wise guy?" What's with the childish personal attacks? Jesus, if you're so thin-skinned you can't tolerate reading an opinion that differs from yours without boiling over and insulting people, perhaps you'd be better of staying out of a forum that is named "Great Debates." That's a clue as to what we do here - we debate. We argue. We disagree. If you're not emotionally equipped for that, maybe this isn't the forum for you.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:03 PM

5,520 posts, read 7,114,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
You don't appear to know what you're talking about, and you're becoming hysterical. "A matter of safety?" I suppose next you're going to start shrieking that crime is skyrocketing and kids are getting snatched off of street corners right and left.

Fact is, crime is actually down, and people are in no more danger from strangers than they were 30, 50, or 60 years ago. The only difference is that people - well, some people - are more afraid of the world they live in. Turn off the 24-hour headline "news" stations and do some actual research.

If I had a young child, i would not hesitate for a second to let her wait for the bus alone. In fact, i would encourage it, because that's part of growing up into an independent, self-sufficient adult. I walked 6 blocks to school from kindergarten through 4th grade, and then waited by myself for the bus (or sometimes walked 3/4 of a mile to the bus stop) the rest of my school days. Children today are just as safe as I was.

And, your home is just as safe today as it was 40 or 50 years ago. If you're more afraid for your safety than you were then, that doesn't mean things are more dangerous - that just means you're more afraid. That's your problem to deal with - we don't need to pass new laws just because you're afraid for no good reason.

"Wise guy?" What's with the childish personal attacks? Jesus, if you're so thin-skinned you can't tolerate reading an opinion that differs from yours without boiling over and insulting people, perhaps you'd be better of staying out of a forum that is named "Great Debates." That's a clue as to what we do here - we debate. We argue. We disagree. If you're not emotionally equipped for that, maybe this isn't the forum for you.
Been on this forum a lot longer than you pal. You had the first personal attack so if you can't take it back don't dish it out. You assume a lot and you know what that means don't ya?

Your profile says you "accentuate the positive"! Really dude? Your rant is so negative I want to know why it bothers you so much? You must be in the telemarketing biz.

Now I'll just wait and eat some popcorn while others argue your bus stop stance!

Last edited by NYTom; 09-02-2016 at 12:22 PM..

Old 09-02-2016, 12:38 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:

Been on this forum a lot longer than you pal. You had the first personal attack so if you can't take it back don't dish it out.
So - disagreement constitutes a "personal attack?" Again, you're in the wrong forum.

Quote:
You assume a lot and you know what that means don't ya?
No. But I'm sure it's something sophomoric that's intended to be incredibly clever.

Quote:
Your profile says you "accentuate the positive"! Really dude? Your rant is so negative I want to know why it bothers you so much? You must be in the telemarketing biz.

Now I'll just wait and eat some popcorn while others argue your bus stop stance!
Sure, why not? Since you don't have any facts on your side, and can't control your emotions enough to argue your position without personalizing the debate, perhaps it really would be better to let others finish the arguments you start.

This certainly has become a strange thread.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:41 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,479 times
I screen my calls and have Ring doorbell. If someone I don't know comes to my door, I just say - Please leave now, you are trespassing. If they continue to talk, I say- please wait until I call the police. They leave pronto.
My best story about religious proselytizers comes from my mother. She lived about a block away from a church that regularly sent people out to preach. She would always politely say No Thank You, but they kept coming back. One day she told them that she was just starting her daily rosary and if they would come in an pray with her, afterwards she would listen to what they had to say. The immediately left and she was never bothered again.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:59 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
I'm really surprised at how many people here seem perfectly willing to jettison the First Amendment when it inconveniences them. Like it or not, sales people have a right to speak about their products. And religious people have a right to talk about their faith.

Not answering the phone or the doorbell seems plenty effective to me. Or, a simple "No thank you, I'm not interested" should do the trick. Now, if they keep on talking after you've said no, that's a different matter. Then they're veering into coercion or intimidation, and that's when we need the law to come down on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates