Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2016, 09:37 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Question: when you said one provider, did you mean one health insurance company selling insurance?
Yep, there is one insurer for most Arizona counties.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:49 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,018,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Just demonstrating that it requires multiple federal agencies to enforce any given law.
Age-old trick. The feds enforce every given law and have been doing so since long before PPACA ever came along. I'm sure you'd like to include the costs of emptying wastebaskets at HHS offices every night as well, but there is a difference between gross and marginal cost. It doesn't actually cost twice as much to stop off at the drug store on the way to and from the dry cleaners, but it does if you attribute all of the costs to each of the errands.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yep, there is one insurer for most Arizona counties.
On the other side of the story, it is also true that despite sharp increase in benchmark premiums, the average benchmark rate for a 40-year-old in Phoenix is still among the lowest in the nation at $207/month. Only New Mexico and Indiana have average benchmark premiums that are lower than Arizona's..

Old 10-17-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
On the other side of the story, it is also true that despite sharp increase in benchmark premiums, the average benchmark rate for a 40-year-old in Phoenix is still among the lowest in the nation at $207/month. Only New Mexico and Indiana have average benchmark premiums that are lower than Arizona's..
Yes but there is plenty to fix in markets with only one insurer. This is why rate hikes are indeed a problem in Arizona and being used in congressional races.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:17 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
There is no answer yet.

The purpose of Obamacare was to lead the way to a single payer national heathcare system, like Canada. It is a stepping stone. If we get there during the Clinton administration then we can say it was a success as it reached its intended outcome- for better or worse. If we do not end up elimination all health insurers, then I think we can say it failed.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yes but there is plenty to fix in markets with only one insurer. This is why rate hikes are indeed a problem in Arizona and being used in congressional races.
Politicians will spin anything and everything. Party doesn't matter -- it's what they do. If you can hear or see a politician speaking, he or she knows that the microphone is there, and all you are getting is at best his or her own version of the truth. Too often though, it's a much worse situation than that.

Meanwhile, I think everyone by now agrees that while some state exchanges are working fine, some are nor. The latter group will need to be re-examined and reset. To the extent that this can be done without an acr of Congress, repairs should come along in fairly short order after January 20.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
There is no answer yet. The purpose of Obamacare was to lead the way to a single payer national healthcare system, like Canada.
The health care system in Canada does not cover things like dental services, optometrists, and prescription medications. Those who wish cover for such things arrange it via private insurance. Indeed, private insurance plays an important role in most countries with a national health care system.

By the way, it will be decades before our journey here in the US can be called anywhere near complete.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Politicians will spin anything and everything. Party doesn't matter -- it's what they do. If you can hear or see a politician speaking, he or she knows that the microphone is there, and all you are getting is at best his or her own version of the truth. Too often though, it's a much worse situation than that.

Meanwhile, I think everyone by now agrees that while some state exchanges are working fine, some are nor. The latter group will need to be re-examined and reset. To the extent that this can be done without an acr of Congress, repairs should come along in fairly short order after January 20.
I know Arizona is a federal ran exchange because the far right don't believe in it, they barely passed the Medicaid expansion as is. I'm not sure how much there is a link between that (perhaps it is because most of Arizona is too rural to cover on the exchange.) I didn't vote for Senator McCain but I admire his attempt at fixing ObamaCare for the majority of Arizonians with only one plan to choose from.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:09 PM

A tip of the hat to all who honestly labor to make life better for other people. As I've noted several times now, the exchanges overall are a small piece of the pie, and in some states they are working just fine while in others they clearly are not. The latter situation needs to be addressed. Hopefully, that can be done within the scope of federal rule-making, as if anything has to go back to Congress, it will receive only the scorn and contempt of Republicans, no matter how many people might be harmed in that.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:22 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I still think it was a step in the right direction towards some regulation and universal healthcare.
I agree, despite the fact that our premiums keep going up (which they did even before the ACA was implemented). The concept is right; there is much about it that could be changed.

So you think Obamacare is a disaster? Here's how California is proving you wrong - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.