Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 05:00 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times

Advertisements

Far as I know, it all depends on who you ask. A long time ago, I was riding on a bus and asked some of the folks there how to define rich people. Most of them responded with something along the line of being able to pay the rent at the end of the month and have money left over to buy food. This was a commuter bus with folks going to their daily work at the hotels in Waikiki. Later I asked some friends at the yacht club how they defined rich and they said if they could take their private jet to Paris for breakfast whenever they wanted, then they'd be rich. All these folks were living on the same island, yet they had huge differences in how they defined a fairly simple concept.

Other than levels of money, there is also being part of Society and that is usually folks who have rather a lot of money although they may not be super rich. And having scads of money doesn't necessarily get you into Society, either. Kinda like the difference between notoriety and fame.

But, if you're looking for a dollar amount to be 'rich', I dunno as if there is one since everyone's circumstances will be different. And money isn't the only thing that provides riches, if anything it's one of the smaller parts although I suppose it's a pretty useful comparative yardstick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 06:08 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
By your standards, no, $50 Million wouldn't be enough. But the definition of "rich" is a wide-ranging one, encompassing everything from Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, The Saudi Royal family all the way down the spectrum to the guy at local factory retiring after 40 years of work with his pension and social security.

Having money and things isn't the only definition of rich.
I understand your point, and I agree there is more to life than money -- but at the same time, frequently there is a call by politicians and political activists to "soak the rich" and to "make the rich pay their fair share of taxes." I wager the hypothetical retired factory worker you mention above would not count himself rich if the consequence is to be soaked and admonished to "pay his fair share."

Old 10-30-2016, 06:26 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I dare to disagree. OP asked "At what point are you rich in America".
There is a threshold, but what you described is the 0.05% of the super rich in the World.
Please recall you also discussed those outside America:

Quote:
... with 2 billion people in the world living on less than $2 a day, even $1 million is an inconceivable sum.
Quote:
The general definition of being rich is defined as someone who has accumulated enough to purchase comfort of a luxurious nature above that of the common people in a group, city, society, or whatever else you want to call it. By definition of money, there certainly is very little that separates those who are rich from those who are wealthy.
I'm not sure where you found that definition. I'm looking in an econ textbook right now, and I don't find anything like that.

Quote:
I would rather be wealthy than just rich.
There we can agree.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:29 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Being rich for me would be to have enough money that I'm earning as much as my current salary and more just off the interest and investments.

Since interest rates are so low, it would have to be investment gains only. If I could get 5% a year, I'd need almost 4 million. That wouldn't be any increase in my lifestyle at that point, I would just have more free time. I wouldn't be able to go buy anything I wanted, and I wouldn't be able to buy a multimillion dollar house.

For me to be rich, I'd say 10 million. That would allow me to earn enough off investments to replace my income AND be able to afford nice things in perpetuity.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:55 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,005 times
To the poster with the stuff you could buy that would be filthy rich. I think merely rich would be somewhere in the high 7 to low 8 figures. The best definition that I think most "real" middle class families (household income between 30-120k) would give would be someone who never needs to budget money for anything. It also depends on where your viewing it from. I have friends who bought ocean front houses and luxury cars with cash and retired early. Even though their worth less then 10 mil that's plenty rich for me.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:56 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Being rich for me would be to have enough money that I'm earning as much as my current salary and more just off the interest and investments.

Since interest rates are so low, it would have to be investment gains only. If I could get 5% a year, I'd need almost 4 million. That wouldn't be any increase in my lifestyle at that point, I would just have more free time. I wouldn't be able to go buy anything I wanted, and I wouldn't be able to buy a multimillion dollar house.

For me to be rich, I'd say 10 million. That would allow me to earn enough off investments to replace my income AND be able to afford nice things in perpetuity.
I'd have to agree with this one. Above this level you just at a different kind of rich.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:20 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,425,882 times
People who haven't traveled outside of America have no idea how rich we all are. Someone once told me that if you have some extra money, shelter, food, clothing and people who care about you then you are among the world's richest people.

Not only that but we have a gazillion social programs to help us out.

After the basics it's just a matter of degree.

One afternoon I sat on a shady balcony in a tropical country. It was nearly hundred-degree weather by three o'clock. And I watched skinny kids who came to work on bicycles (two and three to a bike) shovel rocks in the hot sun all day from eight in the morning until six-thirty in the afternoon. They had a half-hour lunch break and sat among weeds in the jungle shade.

At one point their foreman left and I thought they'd slow down. But they didn't; they kept up their regular pace unsupervised. And they smiled, laughed and joked as they worked.

That's the kind of work you do when you really need a job to survive. Or perhaps others are depending on you. Or maybe there's a line just waiting for you to quit.

I thought to myself, "Every person in this country who complains they don't have enough should have the chance to see this."

Old 11-01-2016, 07:01 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Respectfully, you and I have very different definitions of rich.

With a $500K of yearly income and with $50M in the bank, you are not hurting -- but you are far from rich.

With $50 Million, you cannot afford one of these:

[Copyright]

Don't get me wrong. With $50 million you are affluent. You are not hurting. If you are smart, you're set.

But you are far from rich nor wealthy.

With $50 million, you cannot afford one of what?

Old 11-01-2016, 07:07 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Rich is in the eye of the beholder.
Heads up if that beholder is the IRS!

Old 11-01-2016, 09:20 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
The top 1% in income
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates