Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 04:19 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,884,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
6 or 7 seconds?? In my area that is as long as the turn arrows are. If someone sits at a green arrow for 6 or 7 seconds the light will change and no one will get through.

If a driver in front of me doesn't go when the light changes I will tap on my horn first but if he still doesn't move I will lean on the horn.

I don't want to miss a light because some moron in front of me isn't paying attention.
Yeah, in a congested area, backing the light up to 'get even' can cause the intersection behind you to get jammed up and then you're inconveniencing a lot more than one person.

If, for some reason, the person behind me assumes I'm not paying attention, either because I am not, or i'm just a little slow for their taste, I refuse to take it personally. Let him toot or honk. It truly costs me nothing.

OP, be glad your husband isn't cussing out and cutting off old ladies on the highway for driving to slow, or other such 'revenge' tactics. Then he'd get mad at me for taking their side because I was supposed to support him unconditionally. Glad to be rid of him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 08:08 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,614,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchz View Post
My other half has a problem when somebody honks at him for not going right away when the light turns green - he refuses to go. So the light is green and the person behind him honks to inform him to go and he just sits there. He is mad that they honk and so he thinks he is getting even.

I have never encounter this other than him but have had most people that ride with me tell me they dont like it when I honk in similar situation at other drivers. Why? They claim that they are afraid someone will get mad and have road rage if I honk. So I am wondering do you get mad when a person honks at you for spacing out at red lights?
Why on earth does he sit at green lights? Of course he's being honked at! He's acting like a jerk by just sitting there....on purpose. One day he will **** off the wrong person. He also has no idea if the person behind him is an unmarked police officer......good way to get himself into trouble. Maybe not act like a jerk while driving? Crazy idea! He doesn't own the road!

Old 12-12-2016, 09:38 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchz View Post
My other half has a problem when somebody honks at him for not going right away when the light turns green - he refuses to go...
Nothing wrong with that. I'll never let someone sacrifice my safety by telling me when I should go and how I should drive. By honking immediately after the light turns green, they are the careless jerks.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:02 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
I stopped shooting at them after a stint in the TD of C.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:08 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
I get honked at every time I walk through a parking lot. It's hard to believe, but many people are either too stupid or boorish to disable the charming "door-lock horn-beep" feature that late-model cars are equipped with, for some absurd reason...

Old 12-12-2016, 10:12 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,496,522 times
If I was genuinely in the wrong then I acknowledge my error with a friendly hand wave. If I did not understand why I was honked at then I just ignore it and assume someone is having a bad day....

Old 12-12-2016, 11:11 PM

2,019 posts, read 1,312,131 times
The main reason I don't honk is this: The horn is not a f'ing laser.
You cannot honk just one person. When you lay on the horn, everyone around you gets honked. The people in the lane next to you, the people across from you, the people on the sidewalk, the people in the houses and stores nearby. Why should they get blasted when they are not doing anything to deserve such rude treatment? It's just inconsiderate of all the people around you.

I find a simpler solution for the inattentive driver in front of me is to just start going and bump them into the intersection.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:49 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,446,284 times
I simply do not honk or banter away.
On the "rare" occassions that I have tapped my horn.. It was enough to proceed.

Some folks though lay on the horn to the point of annoying. You truly are not that important . You are though rude in action.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:51 PM

1,850 posts, read 820,182 times
In some major cities, there's a different phenomenon. You'll be at a red light with six cars behind you. And then as soon as the light turns green, someone honks a long blast. I think they get all excited like they think they're making people drive on the green light. When people do that, I slam on my brake abruptly and act confused like "omg, who's honking??"

Old 12-13-2016, 12:07 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,819,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
They are honking because you aren't going.

The solution is to go, not to 'get even' by siting there. Your husband at best is immature, and at worst may **** off the wrong person and get himself and his wife injured or killed by a psycho.
The right person with the right vehicle, would push the both of them through the intersection. I've fancied buying a tow truck for that and ither reasons. The light is green, cross traffic isn't moving...move. Could get a ticket too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates